Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Requires Passengers to Wear Face Masks (TSA Extends to 1/18/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Requires Passengers to Wear Face Masks (TSA Extends to 1/18/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If I were somehow in the unlikely position of the affected passenger ...

FA - Please insure the mask covers your nose and mouth properly.
Pax - I'm trying, but this mask seems to have developed an issue. Do you happen to have an extra mask onboard that I could use?
FA - Sure. Let me get you one.

The end.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by seaduck79
Answer me this - who was being endangered by the situation? Answer - no one. Even if I had been coughing and sneezing instead of just quietly breathing, there was literally no one close enough to me to have been affected by it.

FAs need to look at the situation as a whole, rather than just one little aspect of it.
Respectfully, that isn't the point. This is a critical time of uniform and strict enforcement of policy. The last thing an FA needs is to be written up for noticing non-compliant passengers and not taking action.

"But officer, there wasn't anyone coming the other way when I ran the red light."
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
"But officer, there wasn't anyone coming the other way when I ran the red light."
Visiting Singapore a couple of years ago, we had lunch at a small restaurant one day, and on the wall by our table, a picture frame told a story of someone running a red light. You didn’t see the red light, the police officer asked. Yes, I did, the driver said. So why didn’t you stop? I didn’t see you! Humor is universal, and around the world most agree what's needed.
ctporter and gdam22 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Not accurate. While transmission is primarily via airborne droplets, there still is fomite transmission. We all know the plane and surfaces cannot be completely cleaned between flights.

Enclosed space = mask regardless of social distancing ability.
Yes. Filtration and dilution on aircraft is very good, but it's not perfect, and tiny airborne droplets do get distributed throughout the aircraft.

I've watched AS offload someone who wouldn't wear a mask prior to departure, and last night watched an FA wake up a non-rev in F whose mask had slipped down. I've been able to travel to see my partner throughout the pandemic in part because AS crews have been diligent about mask policy.

There's even been news coverage about the ski patrollers in CO having to shave their beards so they can wear N95s.

I work on and off in cleanrooms, and if you have a beard you get to wear extra masks, both so that it stays on and to fallen whiskers from escaping.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These threads seem to round and round and round. There's a place to debate what the rule, if any, ought to be,

AS, a private business, has chosen to implement a rule requiring masks. Passengers who are offended by the rule, cannot comply, or do not wish to, are free not to patronize the private business.

Those who choose to violate the rule may find themselves offloaded or banned. Some incidents, perhaps not on AS, have turned violent and resulted in arrests.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seaduck79
My question is this: Do customers have any recourse against a tyrannical FA who wants to ban people for behavior literally no other FA, GA, or airport/airline employee had a problem with? I'm a 30 year Alaska customer, and I'm kinda ticked at them right now.
Your best recourse Is to not make them have to remind you more than once.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 1:43 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
CDC mandate Mask Policy Feb 1, 2021

With CDC and government now providing enhanced requirements for Masks, has anyone seen any changes in enforcement of its masking policy?!
  • Cloth masks should be made with two or more layers of a breathable fabric that is tightly woven (i.e., fabrics that do not let light pass through when held up to a light source).
  • Mask should be secured to the head with ties, ear loops, or elastic bands that go behind the head. If gaiters are worn, they should have two layers of fabric or be folded to make two layers.
Government continues to providing exception for passengers with disability with advance warning and with negative testing, on its language but will AS bend its stricter “no exception” policy? (I wouldnt want to sit next to an medically exempt passenger)

Thankfully fines of up to $35000 and inprisonment has much more teeth than the yellow card and ban.

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Feb 4, 2021 at 1:49 am
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
With CDC and government now providing enhanced requirements for Masks, has anyone seen any changes in enforcement of its masking policy?!

Government continues to providing exception for passengers with disability with advance warning and with negative testing, on its language but will AS bend its stricter “no exception” policy? (I wouldnt want to sit next to an medically exempt passenger)

Thankfully fines of up to $35000 and inprisonment has much more teeth than the yellow card and ban.

Jiburi
from what I have read, if someone requires a medical exemption they have to give the airline at least 5 days notice and are required to provide a letter from a doctor explaining that they are unable to wear a mask for medical reasons. Additionally, they will be seated at the back of the airplane, away from other guests. If this can not be accomplished due to heavy flight loads then they can be moved to a different flight for the purpose of social distancing them away from other guests. Not sure if it's worth the hassle - most people I see not wearing masks typically don't seem like the kind to go to all that trouble. That said, it sure seems like this opens the door to this loophole being exploited in the same way emotional support pets were.

One thing to note is that bandanas are no longer considered an acceptable face covering. It's pretty specific about what is acceptable. I've seen a number of people wearing loose fitting, bandana type covers - this puts an end to that.
ACBLtd, be_rettSEA and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
from what I have read, if someone requires a medical exemption they have to give the airline at least 5 days notice and are required to provide a letter from a doctor explaining that they are unable to wear a mask for medical reasons. Additionally, they will be seated at the back of the airplane, away from other guests. If this can not be accomplished due to heavy flight loads then they can be moved to a different flight for the purpose of social distancing them away from other guests. Not sure if it's worth the hassle - most people I see not wearing masks typically don't seem like the kind to go to all that trouble. That said, it sure seems like this opens the door to this loophole being exploited in the same way emotional support pets were.
And what if that person is in F? How are they seated away from other pax? My flight last week, the couple in 1AC just pretty much would not wear a mask. The 30-ish guy in 1C was the real problem and a total jerk. He was told twice before we even pushed back and multiple times as people complained thoughout the flight and he would then pull up his tissue-thin, loose bandanna for 10 seconds or so. He probably had it over his mouth for a grand total of 20 minutes the entire 6 hour flight. Yes, I did ask the FA a few times as did others but it was hard when the three 20-something FAs yapping in the galley for most of the flight didn’t care either. First really disinterested crew I have had in a long time. The guy and his girlfriend spent most of the flight talking to each other or making out. Even when he got up to get something from the overhead bin or went to the lav, the bandana was around his neck,
be_rettSEA, anteater and Eurynom0s like this.

Last edited by Finkface; Feb 4, 2021 at 11:29 am
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Finkface
And what if that person is in F? How are they seated away from other pax?
I believe the answer is they don't get to sit in F.

My flight last week, the couple in 1AC just pretty much would not wear a mask.
I've experienced similar on AS, UA, DL, and WN. Some crews care about enforcing, some don't or simply won't. I think the hope now is that the threat of federal prosecution will up both enforcement and compliance. Also, the single ply gaiters are no longer compliant. That said, as a frequent flyer during the pandemic, I've learned that a certain level of acceptance of things beyond my control is unfortunately sometimes required.
ACBLtd and ctporter like this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
... required to provide a letter from a doctor explaining that they are unable to wear a mask for medical reasons. ...
I wonder how many of such exemptions are also recommended by the same doctor for the same medical reasons not to get on the plane in the first place.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
And what if that person is in F? How are they seated away from other pax? My flight last week, the couple in 1AC just pretty much would not wear a mask. The 30-ish guy in 1C was the real problem and a total jerk. He was told twice before we even pushed back and multiple times as people complained thoughout the flight and he would then pull up his tissue-thin, loose bandanna for 10 seconds or so. He probably had it over his mouth for a grand total of 20 minutes the entire 6 hour flight. Yes, I did ask the FA a few times as did others but it was hard when the three 20-something FAs yapping in the galley for most of the flight didn’t care either. First really disinterested crew I have had in a long time. The guy and his girlfriend spent most of the flight talking to each other or making out. Even when he got up to get something from the overhead bin or went to the lav, the bandana was around his neck,
while not actually resolving the instant issue, a couple of discreetly taken pix shared w AS Customer Service (and w the captain, if you get a chance after the flight) would probably get the attention of the FAs and their supervisors ... I did the former regarding FAs who ignored improperly stowed carry-on articles and received a followup email from the Director of Inflight Services (?) about a week later, indicating he was bringing it to the attention of their management
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:59 pm

I hope you sent your experience to Alaska Listens: https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback
Old Feb 4, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by flytoeat
I hope you sent your experience to Alaska Listens: https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback
Of course. And received the obligatory ‘we are sorry we didn’t meet your expectations’ reply.
flytoeat and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Of course. And received the obligatory ‘we are sorry we didn’t meet your expectations’ reply.
Yeah that's same I got when I complained about a PHX GA who claimed there was "nothing she could do" to enforce the rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.