FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS Requires Passengers to Wear Face Masks (TSA Extends to 1/18/2022) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2016945-requires-passengers-wear-face-masks-tsa-extends-1-18-2022-a.html)

missamo80 May 1, 2020 6:19 am

AS Requires Passengers to Wear Face Masks (TSA Extends to 1/18/2022)

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-releases/news-release-details/alaska-airlines-require-face-masks-frontline-employees-and

To align with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommendations and to keep employees and guests safe, face masks will be mandatory for guests starting May 11 and for Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air employees who cannot maintain six feet of social distance from guests or co-workers, starting May 4. This includes pilots, flight attendants and customer service agents.

flytoeat May 1, 2020 8:15 am

Not sure why Alaska has to delay implementation for 11 days. Delta announced yesterday and implemented 5 days later (May 4th).

be_rettSEA May 1, 2020 8:57 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat (Post 32340474)
Not sure why Alaska has to delay implementation for 11 days. Delta announced yesterday and implemented 5 days later (May 4th).

Maybe procuring masks for crew?

flytoeat May 1, 2020 9:01 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA (Post 32340580)
Maybe procuring masks for crew?

Crew requirement begins on Monday May 4th.

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2020-...ees-and-flyers

notquiteaff May 1, 2020 9:34 am

Maybe procuring and distributing masks for passengers? From what I read, passengers are supposed to bring their own, but they will have some for people who “forget”.

flytoeat May 1, 2020 9:40 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 32340677)
Maybe procuring and distributing masks for passengers? From what I read, passengers are supposed to bring their own, but they will have some for people who “forget”.

Makes sense, as they don't want to have to turn away a paying customer. Still, Delta was able to implement a lot faster.

chipmaster May 1, 2020 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by PDXpress (Post 32340704)
The "Oh shoot, I forgot my mask" refund trick would become very popular.

Really, if I was the airline I'd be very apologetic charge them $20 for a mask to board, or give them credit to fly another day. Rules are rules, don't know why people can't obey them?

chipmaster May 1, 2020 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 32339247)
I sure hope the TSA agents are wearing masks, given 505 have already tested positive.

https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus

Those poor TSA like cashiers and other public facing got a really terrible job. See lots of people, touch their stuff at often < 6ft, those people are coming from all over the world, if their is Contagion they will most certainly get it. I'm surprised why anyone is surprised they wouldn't get it? And they got to deal with all the unhappy people, have you every seen happy people standing in line, LOL

chipmaster May 1, 2020 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by damnyourefine (Post 32334392)
How would one consume food or drink onboard?

Requiring face masks would yes cut down on the chance of spreading COVID-19, but either you’re required to wear it the entire flight with exception or it could be difficult to enforce who and when can temporarily take it off.

LOL, you aren't noticing this problem on the ground? At least in the air these people aren't going to run away from you, you can nicely tell them to put it on and if it gets out of hand post a good video on twitter :-D

glob99 May 1, 2020 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster (Post 32341340)
Really, if I was the airline I'd be very apologetic charge them $20 for a mask to board, or give them credit to fly another day. Rules are rules, don't know why people can't obey them?

Right now it is near impossible to buy a mask, so the airline or airport should provide a mask.

notquiteaff May 1, 2020 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by glob99 (Post 32341598)
Right now it is near impossible to buy a mask, so the airline or airport should provide a mask.

really? Did you see this post up-thread?

Originally Posted by Xrayman (Post 32338334)
Was at SeaTac today and “K-N95” masks were being sold and available. I think $7.95.

I’m not sure what the “K” means.

Judging by all the ads I see on various websites, there is a whole cottage industry of mask makers and importers able to supply you.

chipmaster May 1, 2020 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 32341619)
really? Did you see this post up-thread?

Judging by all the ads I see on various websites, there is a whole cottage industry of mask makers and importers able to apply you.

If you are a traveler getting a cloth mask is easy, getting a real N95 is a bit more of a challenge and expensive but available now. I know what they will be providing at the gate/airline, it wouldn't be what I'd want to be confident of my personal health,really don't care about appearance or comfort

A318neo May 1, 2020 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by glob99 (Post 32341598)

Not impossible. Very easy.

80 cents to $1.40 per mask. Surgical masks are no longer in short supply, just N95. So saving the N95 supply for doctors and nurses make sense but no excuse not to get a surgical mask. Surgical masks are suppose to be around N75. Tests show that scarfs and t-shirts are not too good but bras, paper towels, towels, coffee filters and flannel are fairly good in filtration.

AS Flyer May 1, 2020 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster (Post 32341838)
If you are a traveler getting a cloth mask is easy, getting a real N95 is a bit more of a challenge and expensive but available now. I know what they will be providing at the gate/airline, it wouldn't be what I'd want to be confident of my personal health,really don't care about appearance or comfort

I'm guessing what will be provided at the gate/airline will be the same disposable blue surgical masks that I see a lot of people wearing and that they are providing Flight Attendants in Seattle now. It's a barrier - meant to cover someone's face if they cough or sneeze or even while speaking. It will be totally effective for that. If someone wants something better they should come prepared.

PVDtoDEL May 1, 2020 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster (Post 32341340)

While I understand the sentiment, it would be quite a troubling precedent if they did this. It would effectively be a post-ticketing fare increase - after the passenger purchased a ticket for $x, the airline at a later time added a new arbitrary requirement to spend more money (procuring a mask) to avoid a penalty charge.