Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Should AS Require Face Masks for All Passengers?

Old Apr 29, 20, 7:34 am
Original Poster

I would like to see all Alaska passengers be required to wear face masks, and have communicated that desire in writing to Alaska. Obviously this would be temporary, and adjusted as risks are better understood and mitigated. Jet Blue just announced such a policy, and I will fly them instead of AS when possible, unless a similar policy is announced. Just my personal course of action, but I'm curious what the sentiment regarding a passenger face mask requirement is among the FlyerTalk cohort?
milypan and A318neo like this.
Old Apr 29, 20, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat View Post
I would like to see all Alaska passengers be required to wear face masks, and have communicated that desire in writing to Alaska. Obviously this would be temporary, and adjusted as risks are better understood and mitigated. Jet Blue just announced such a policy, and I will fly them instead of AS when possible, unless a similar policy is announced. Just my personal course of action, but I'm curious what the sentiment regarding a passenger face mask requirement is among the FlyerTalk cohort?
IMO, they should not have had to ask, it should be something that we are all doing anyway. But since that world doesn't exist, yes I think they (airlines, US, no less) should require masks, likely for the rest of 2020 until a vaccine is widely available.
Old Apr 29, 20, 8:49 am

Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
How would one consume food or drink onboard?

Requiring face masks would yes cut down on the chance of spreading COVID-19, but either youíre required to wear it the entire flight with exception or it could be difficult to enforce who and when can temporarily take it off.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 20, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by damnyourefine View Post
How would one consume food or drink onboard?

Requiring face masks would yes cut down on the chance of spreading COVID-19, but either you’re required to wear it the entire flight with exception or it could be difficult to enforce who and when can temporarily take it off.
One wouldn’t wear one during that time. But it is sad that enforcement has to be a concern and that common sense is not sufficient. Then again, after the Mayo Clinic incident yesterday you are probably right - what are the FAs going to do when someone claims they are safe due to recent testing and don’t need to comply? Divert the plane?

To answer the original question, no, I wouldn’t travel more (currently zero) at this time, but if I had to travel, I would wear a mask no matter what the rules and would appreciate a mandate.
Old Apr 29, 20, 10:02 am

Yes as a temporary measure near term..
a certain percentage of population is ignorant or just dumb and such mandatory measures help to reduce (not eliminate) the risks .
Old Apr 29, 20, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
If the mask is worn correctly. IMO most masks are not... so it looks like compliance.

Not sure it would change my mind either way about air travel. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to fly B6.
Old Apr 29, 20, 11:18 am

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXMSPSEA View Post
IMO, they should not have had to ask, it should be something that we are all doing anyway. But since that world doesn't exist, yes I think they (airlines, US, no less) should require masks, likely for the rest of 2020 until a vaccine is widely available.
Hopefully we won't have to wait that long...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...sts-september/
Old Apr 29, 20, 2:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I don't plan to wear one.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 20, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Diamond, Alaska 75K
If wearing a face mask is needed because the virus is still "wild" - then we should not be flying.

The only area I would fly right now would be around Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific. Unfortunately, the borders are closed to most travel without undergoing some sort of mandatory quarantine.
Old Apr 29, 20, 3:18 pm

Doesn't matter either way to me.
Old Apr 29, 20, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by SimonT007 View Post
I don't plan to wear one.
the chances are you are not gonna be allowed to board then...
ACBLtd and jinglish like this.
Old Apr 29, 20, 4:29 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 75K
I wear one to protect others. I wouldn’t object if others wore one, but realistic that a certain percentage of the populace will be offended by having individual inherent personal freedoms encroached upon.

Let’s be clear unless wearing an N95 mask correctly fitted, wearing a mask does not completely protect the person wearing the mask but rather decreases risk of the community surrounding the individual from spray that comes talking, sneezing or coughing.

Yes the mere act of talking and breathing causes a spray. Some more than others.
ACBLtd and navydevildoc like this.
Old Apr 29, 20, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Xrayman View Post
ILetís be clear unless wearing an N95 mask correctly fitted, wearing a mask does not completely protect the person wearing the mask but rather decreases risk of the community surrounding the individual from spray that comes talking, sneezing or coughing.

Yes the mere act of talking and breathing causes a spray. Some more than others.
Very few things in life prevent 100% of the bad things from happening. Masks generally reduce the risk of spreading the virus. I am all in favor until there is a vaccine available or the number of cases decreases dramatically.

As for enhanced cleaning procedures, I hope they stay in place indefinitely. Planes have not been the cleanest places in the past couple of decades as airlines have cut costs. I will willingly pay an extra $20 to have a clean plane (cleaned after each flight).
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 29, 20, 5:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I'd rather poke my eyeball with a KFC spork than wear a mask for multiple hours straight on an airplane.
Old Apr 29, 20, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach View Post
I'd rather poke my eyeball with a KFC spork drive for 18 hr than wear a mask for multiple hours straight on an airplane.
fixed to reflect likely choice save the spork for those KFC pitstops
jjmadison likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: