Separate Award Tickets for Children

Old Apr 22, 20, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Separate Award Tickets for Children

Hi all,

I'm looking to book partner award tickets on JAL for myself and my child, but only have enough miles for one ticket (SFO to Tokyo). My spouse (who will not be going on the trip) has enough miles in her account to book the 2nd ticket for the child - will Alaska allow us to make that booking on a separate reservation for the child, and to have it linked to my own reservation? I assume we would need to make this booking (at least the child one) by phone?

I think I recall that Alaska's online ticketing system can link up separate reservations for children to an adult reservation, but I think that was for revenue tickets flown on Alaska - does anyone know if that online linking works for partner awards? I hope I'm not confusing airlines, but I thought I did that once on Alaska before.

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 20, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
depending on child's age, as well as JAL policy, you may not be able to book for an unaccompanied minor ... it's much better to pay to transfer your spouse's miles to your account and keep both passengers on the same reservation (that way you will also be kept together in the event of schedule changes between booking and departure)
Old Apr 22, 20, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
depending on child's age, as well as JAL policy, you may not be able to book for an unaccompanied minor ... it's much better to pay to transfer your spouse's miles to your account and keep both passengers on the same reservation (that way you will also be kept together in the event of schedule changes between booking and departure)
This is not an unaccompanied minor - only a separate reservation (unless there is some weird handling specific to JL - never booked with them that way). Absolutely no reason to pay to transfer miles - just call AS to book and they will note parent's PNR. If things get messed up due to sched change etc just call again and it will be fixed...
Many book paid tix for parents, awards for kids - nothing unusual; the only somewhat controversial aspect is booking parents in one cabin but kids in another - interpretation and handling of this seems to vary...
ashill likes this.

Last edited by azepine00; Apr 22, 20 at 2:46 pm
Old Apr 22, 20, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be crystal clear: your child is not and will not be ticketed to travel as an unaccompanied minor unless you choose to do so (which would be folly as you are travelling together).

Absolutely not a problem. Every passenger has his own ticket. Whether booked into the same or separate PNR's is irrelevant. You may need to do the child's ticket on the telephone, but that is a minor issue.

You will not be able to check it online (not likely anyway) and will have to present yourself with your child for check-in. JL will make certain that the child boards with you, just as it would if you booked the two tickets into the same PNR.

Finally, JL can place notes in the two PNR's pointing to the other PNR for administrative convenience.

Do not waste money transferring points as it will not make any difference whatsoever.
Old Apr 22, 20, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Alaska's booking system is very good at handling this situation, in my experience; it's exactly as the OP described. You book the adult's ticket first. Then, when booking the child's ticket, it will recognize that you have a child with no adult and ask if the child is unaccompanied or accompanied by a child on a different reservation. You choose the latter; the web interface asks you for the record locator of the adult's reservation.

I have done this with both tickets being award tickets, both being paid (two adults on a companion fare and the kid on a separate paid ticket) as well as the adult paid and the child on an award ticket. Works smoothly in all combinations.

This works very smoothly (taking less time than I took to describe it) for AS-only trips. I don't know if it will have trouble with the JAL trip, but since the adult's ticket will also be booked with Alaska miles, you should have an Alaska record locator that you can use.
Old Apr 22, 20, 4:34 pm

Agree with others that this is very bad advice.
Old Apr 22, 20, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
OP did not state the child's age

regardless, I should have said something like "you might consider transferring the miles" rather than coming across like an authority on the subject
Old Apr 22, 20, 5:18 pm

Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
You can also call AS and ask the agent to pull from two different accounts to a single reservation. This avoids the problems of two separate reservations but a phone booking fee may apply. Usually the two account holders are flying but there shouldn't be any reason that one of the accounts is used to pay for a third person. The only limitation is each account must pay the full mileage for the respective individual's flight, no partial payments.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 22, 20, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Thanks everyone - will definitely call Alaska to book and see if I can just merge to a single reservation.

The suggestion for transferring miles gave me a bit of sticker shock - I think it costs $600 to transfer 60k miles! Glad I don't have to go down that rabbit hole.
Old Apr 22, 20, 5:39 pm

Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by jch636 View Post
Thanks everyone - will definitely call Alaska to book and see if I can just merge to a single reservation.
Just to clarify, it must be a newly made reservation by the AS agent. They can't merge existing reservations or add to an existing reservation.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 22, 20, 9:56 pm

OP did not state the child's age
Child’s age is irrelevant, assuming they’re under 16. Everything said in this thread applies equally to a seven day old baby and a 15 year old (or whatever the cutoff is for a person to be able to fly as an adult; I’m many years away in my parenting from learning those rules!)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: