Travel credit deadline extended

Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Thanks for this distinction. I was aware of this loophole for flying to the US, though the reality is that Canadian's would be travelling in contravention of an avoid all non-essential travel warning, travel insurance would typically not cover you including for medical, and you'd have a 14-day mandatory quarantine on your return home. To all intents and purposes, travel is not logistically feasible between the two countries for the vast majority of us (and comes with significant financial risk given the insurance issues), except for very specific situations such as families split between the two countries.
Just for clarity:
  1. It is not a loophole. The USA has not restricted Canadians from entering the US for discretionary purposes via air during the pandemic.
  2. The Canadian Goverment has issued an advisory to non-essential travel outside Canada. It is not a mandate and thus there is nothing to contravene.
  3. Many Canadian's through group health care plans (myself included) continue to hold valid out of Province & out of Country medical coverage, including for COVID-19. It baffles me how many travel without medical insurance.

I am looking at a trip in September to see friends in DXB and also considering time in Turkey or elsewhere in Europe. Mileage Plan redemptions apply to Partner flights originating in Canada too so transiting the US isn't always necessary. I certainly wouldn't book anything that couldn't be unwound within a few days of departure.

James
NoLaGent and Finkface like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
AS has done a really solid job handing folks with travel credits, had a somewhat complicated Res that needed to be CXLD and they refunded/credited it all in under 24 hrs.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Just a reminder to all I had two certificates from early in 2021 that I had forgotten to put in my wallet so I spaced on them. AS sent me an email that went to my junk folder but luckily I saw it and it listed the used cert #s and value. They expire end of the month if not applied to a flight by then (you don't have to travel by the end of the month). I was pleasantly shocked and quickly purchased ticket to KOA with my "found" money.....
Arsene Wenger likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.