FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2015493-social-distance-seat-blocking-through-1-6-2021-a.html)

PDXPremier Apr 10, 2020 12:42 pm

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Looking at seat maps for flights in May and it appears all the aisle seats on the Q400s are blocked and on the mainline flights, all the middle seats (in premium/main cabin) are blocked. I know AS has been trying to space passenger out at the gate or during boarding, but this is the first time I've noticed seat blocking being applied over a mouth out on all flights. Even when travel significantly picks up, this may be the new normal for awhile until it becomes unsustainable when they will once again need those middle seats.

Flying for Fun Apr 10, 2020 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 32282162)
Looking at seat maps for flights in May and it appears all the aisle seats on the Q400s are blocked and on the mainline flights, all the middle seats (in premium/main cabin) are blocked. I know AS has been trying to space passenger out at the gate or during boarding, but this is the first time I've noticed seat blocking being applied over a mouth out on all flights. Even when travel significantly picks up, this may be the new normal for awhile until it becomes unsustainable when they will once again need those middle seats.

AS has been blocking 1A, 1B on the Q400s for a few weeks now. Those two seats directly face the FA in the jumpseat during takeoff and landing.

James

RAD_PDX Apr 10, 2020 3:26 pm

Yep, this is new since yesterday. I have 2 flights in late May and on 737s and A320s they have all middles blocked and on an E175 they have all aisles blocked. They did not separate my companion sitting next to me on any of these flights, which makes sense and was appreciated. It seems a little bit like the social distancing version of "security theatre" since you still have people in close proximity in front and behind, but I'm sure it's still appreciated during these times.

PDXPremier Apr 10, 2020 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 32282570)
AS has been blocking 1A, 1B on the Q400s for a few weeks now. Those two seats directly face the FA in the jumpseat during takeoff and landing.

James

My two favorite seats on the plane :)

PDXPremier Apr 10, 2020 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX (Post 32282591)
Yep, this is new since yesterday. I have 2 flights in late May and on 737s and A320s they have all middles blocked and on an E175 they have all aisles blocked. They did not separate my companion sitting next to me on any of these flights, which makes sense and was appreciated. It seems a little bit like the social distancing version of "security theatre" since you still have people in close proximity in front and behind, but I'm sure it's still appreciated during these times.

I haven't seen any advance blocking of first class.

RAD_PDX Apr 10, 2020 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 32282610)
I haven't seen any advance blocking of first class.

Not yet... Although the only reason I would even think about buying an F seat now would be if the 75% EQM bonus justified the fare difference.

PDXPremier Apr 10, 2020 3:57 pm

Looks like the seat blocking has been applied to the end of the schedule....picked a random flight on Christmas Day and all the middles were blocked.

tatterdema Apr 10, 2020 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX (Post 32282591)

Interesting. I checked my flight for May 18 late last night, around midnight, and it was still normal. Today all the middle seats are blocked out. Did not separate me and my partner either. Makes it a little harder to roughly guess how many people are going to be on the flight. I have been checking for a month, and it started with about 30 seats assigned, and as of last night it was down to 14. Maybe that is how they justify the increase in price, lol. Up until this morning the flight has been $137 for quite a while. Now it is up to $203. I just keep hoping it will be cancelled so I can get a refund.

jiburi Apr 11, 2020 10:49 pm

Reduced F seats?

...just an observation but it seem AS is currently selling only half of F cabin. Some people can still sit together, as adjacent seats are still reservable.

If Im wrong and if F cabin actually fly out full, apologies but those days are likely still days away.....

Jiburi

Flying for Fun Apr 12, 2020 1:05 am

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 32285937)
...just an observation but it seem AS is currently selling only half of F cabin. Some people can still sit together, as adjacent seats are still reservable.

If Im wrong and if F cabin actually fly out full, apologies but those days are likely still days away.....

Jiburi

AS did announce a reduction in the F cabin to maintain social distancing. If you are an Elite and don't get an upgrade, that is why. From my last flight, it appears that they are only allowing one passenger on each side of the isle in each row in F unless the passengers are traveling together on the same PNR.

James

Seattlenerd Apr 12, 2020 9:00 am

Here's the official word on the AS website about blocking of seats in the main cabin and capping sales of seats in F:
  • First Class seat sales are being capped at 50%.
  • All middle seats on large aircraft are being blocked for purchase through 5/31/20.
  • All aisle seats on small aircraft are being blocked for purchase through 5/31/20.
  • We may need to ask you to change a previously assigned seat to provide for additional distancing.
  • Families or large groups wanting to sit together can make the request with reservations or at the airport.
  • Extra space between guests is not guaranteed and is subject to weight and balance restrictions through 5/31/20. We'll re-evaluate our efforts to provide extra space in mid-May.
  • If you're uncomfortable with the distance between you and others on your day of flight, we'll rebook you on another flight or provide a refund.

PDXPremier Apr 12, 2020 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd (Post 32286758)
Here's the official word on the AS website about blocking of seats in the main cabin and capping sales of seats in F:
  • First Class seat sales are being capped at 50%.
  • All middle seats on large aircraft are being blocked for purchase through 5/31/20.
  • All aisle seats on small aircraft are being blocked for purchase through 5/31/20.
  • We may need to ask you to change a previously assigned seat to provide for additional distancing.
  • Families or large groups wanting to sit together can make the request with reservations or at the airport.
  • Extra space between guests is not guaranteed and is subject to weight and balance restrictions through 5/31/20. We'll re-evaluate our efforts to provide extra space in mid-May.
  • If you're uncomfortable with the distance between you and others on your day of flight, we'll rebook you on another flight or provide a refund.

Through 5/31/20? A lot longer than that...more like through the end of the schedule in March of 2021. It will be interesting to see how sustainable this is, particularly into the busy November/December holiday season.

PDXPremier Apr 12, 2020 3:32 pm

Changes seem to be happening by the minute...now the flights with blocked middles after May suddenly have them unblocked again :)

Flying for Fun Apr 12, 2020 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 32287152)
Through 5/31/20? A lot longer than that...more like through the end of the schedule in March of 2021. It will be interesting to see how sustainable this is, particularly into the busy November/December holiday season.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 32287559)
Changes seem to be happening by the minute...now the flights with blocked middles after May suddenly have them unblocked again :)

Perhaps an observant FTer uncovered an AS error that was quickly rectified. ;)

James

PDXPremier Apr 12, 2020 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 32287683)
Perhaps an observant FTer uncovered an AS error that was quickly rectified. ;)

James

Yippee....hopefully there is a Flyer Talker of the year award that I'll be in the running for :)