Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
better answer: take 16CD or 17CD, thus freeing up both 16A and 17A for solo travelers
Finkface likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by jrl767
better answer: take 16CD or 17CD, thus freeing up both 16A and 17A for solo travelers
Exactly. Let’s just be kind and a bit more considerate right now. No need to block entire rows just because you can when you know you want to sit together anyway.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS
If you look at the seat map, those seats are not available.
16D and 17D are open.
I agree with the seats they selected. They have already mentioned they are flexible, if the need arises.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:11 pm

Atrocious LAX/DCA experience

I'm not taking AS' side here, because I'd certainly be more than a bit irritated if this happened to me, but not all non-revs are created equal

in addition to Non-Rev Space Available (NRSA) (an employee or family member traveling standby, for little to no cost -- which is what most people probably generalize to when the term "Non-Rev" appears in a post), there's Non-Rev Positive Space (NRPS) which is an employee in "Must-Fly" status (case in point would be a crew member having to reposition as part of IROPS recovery elsewhere in the system)

unfortunately, unless you catch a glimpse of a paper BP, it's almost impossible to distinguish one from another :/
I’m currently in the middle of a similar situation to the original post on this issue. Flight had 5/16 F seats blocked at check-in. Boarded to 13/16 seats taken (mine being the 14th - apparently 1C and 1/F can’t be booked). I asked the FA what was going on as there was a stranger next to me - she told me there were a ton of non-revs and didn’t even have enough meals for first loaded.

1A and 2-4FD all know eachother and are chatting extensively. After 10 minutes 1A got bumped to economy (she wasn’t wearing her mask during boarding and was snacking) and my seatmate got moved up. We’re 2.5 hours into the flight and half of the group has had their masks off the whole the time. The others had extended snack and drink breaks with masks off. One even coughed multiple times into her hand without a mask, licked her fingers and picked around at the snack basket 10 minutes later. Her seatmate hasn’t put her mask on since takeoff - her name is on her thermos and a quick Google shows her as an Alaska FA. I’d be surprised if all 7 were deadheading together...

Last edited by Dcalaxjfk; Sep 25, 2020 at 4:14 pm Reason: Double word
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by Dcalaxjfk
I’m currently in the middle of a similar situation to the original post on this issue. Flight had 5/16 F seats blocked at check-in. Boarded to 13/16 seats taken (mine being the 14th - apparently 1C and 1/F can’t be booked). I asked the FA what was going on as there was a stranger next to me - she told me there were a ton of non-revs and didn’t even have enough meals for first loaded.

1A and 2-4FD all know eachother and are chatting extensively. After 10 minutes 1A got bumped to economy (she wasn’t wearing her mask during boarding and was snacking) and my seatmate got moved up. We’re 2.5 hours into the flight and half of the group has had their masks off the whole the time. The others had extended snack and drink breaks with masks off. One even coughed multiple times into her hand without a mask, licked her fingers and picked around at the snack basket 10 minutes later. Her seatmate hasn’t put her mask on since takeoff - her name is on her thermos and a quick Google shows her as an Alaska FA. I’d be surprised if all 7 were deadheading together...
I'm not sure what's happening with the seating (I don't have enough knowledge on the rules), but I really hope you report the lack of mask usage to Alaska Listens. Seems like they could use a Yellow Card.
pcoll and anteater like this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bellerina
I'm not sure what's happening with the seating (I don't have enough knowledge on the rules), but I really hope you report the lack of mask usage to Alaska Listens. Seems like they could use a Yellow Card.
I highly doubt they would give a yellow card to non-revs (not saying they shouldn't be allowed to--just saying it probably wouldn't happen). If a non-rev who is actively vomiting into a garbage bag is allowed to fly, I doubt the lack of mask wearing would make much of a difference.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I highly doubt they would give a yellow card to non-revs (not saying they shouldn't be allowed to--just saying it probably wouldn't happen). If a non-rev who is actively vomiting into a garbage bag is allowed to fly, I doubt the lack of mask wearing would make much of a difference.
we actually have internal policies with respect to non-revs and non compliance - the same policies that have been in place for a long time with respect to any non-compliance. It's handled internally and generally results in pass privilege suspension or termination or other discipline, depending on what the offense is. It can get ugly for the employee involved.
PDXPremier, pcoll, RAD_PDX and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Dcalaxjfk

Dcalaxjfk- Welcome to Flyertalk.
Sorry your first post has to be concerning this issue. Wondering if this flight is out of LAX?
Have had similar experience flying out of LAX. FA that was working in F kept mask covering chin and neck during flight. I guess it is too hard to keep it pulled up. UGH!!
Very frustrating. Please forward your experience to Alaska Listens.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Non-revs are allowed to be seated next to each other if they give the agent consent. If someone was seated next to you, I would have definitely said something to the FA or asked to speak to the gate agent.
Just odd they'd put 6 NRSA in F. I guess this is an area where having "U" space would have maybe allowed those seats to get upgraded by whatever mechanisms exist (or even pay!) - but nah, lets not go there....
Bellerina likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Just odd they'd put 6 NRSA in F.
Why I've been avoiding AS mainline. At least on the 75s you can guaranty a single. Even on DL, they'll put NRSA in an empty cabin up to 50% full, which means C+ can be a better choice, especially on the 220, with 2x3 Y seating and seat next to you guaranteed blocked.
pcoll and Bellerina like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
Dcalaxjfk- Welcome to Flyertalk.
Sorry your first post has to be concerning this issue. Wondering if this flight is out of LAX?
Have had similar experience flying out of LAX. FA that was working in F kept mask covering chin and neck during flight. I guess it is too hard to keep it pulled up. UGH!!
Very frustrating. Please forward your experience to Alaska Listens.
Yep. Out of LAX. I’m writing a note as we speak.

Non-revs are allowed to be seated next to each other if they give the agent consent. If someone was seated next to you, I would have definitely said something to the FA or asked to speak to the gate agent.
Just odd they'd put 6 NRSA in F. I guess this is an area where having "U" space would have maybe allowed those seats to get upgraded by whatever mechanisms exist (or even pay!) - but nah, lets not go there....
I talked to the FA about the stranger sitting next to me, who was moved up to row 1 after they booted one of the non-revs back to economy. So felt bad about complaining constantly but...! One of them coughed into her hands without a mask on and later picked through the snack basket.
pcoll, anteater and Bellerina like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Just wanted to comment... flying in a 700 JNUANC & I got the last "official" seat in F about 18 hrs before departure.

Single pax in 2F & group of 4 in row 3. All others open.

1 person upgraded to 1C before boarding. 2 got battlefield upgrades into 1DF before pushback.

so the 50% limit isnt firm.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Just wanted to comment... flying in a 700 JNUANC & I got the last "official" seat in F about 18 hrs before departure.

Single pax in 2F & group of 4 in row 3. All others open.

1 person upgraded to 1C before boarding. 2 got battlefield upgrades into 1DF before pushback.

so the 50% limit isnt firm.
I’m not aware of any published, or even widely accepted unpublished, 50% capacity limit for F.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I’m not aware of any published, or even widely accepted unpublished, 50% capacity limit for F.
My understanding is that they are capping sales at 50% capacity, and they can upgrade up to capacity as long as no passenger is sitting directly next to a stranger.

For example, 737-900 16 seats, if 1A was taken and the rest are empty, they could in theory will all remaining seats if 1B is companion and the remaining upgrades are all groups.

In practice I have mostly seen near full or full FC cabins during the last couple of months.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
again, they may SELL to 50% but they certainly seem to be willing to FILL beyond 50% with gate upgrades, non-revs, etc
anteater likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.