Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 11/30/2020)

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 11/30/2020)

Old Sep 16, 20, 3:42 pm
  #376  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,996
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
If avoiding COVID is what you're after, an aisle would technically be better based on how cabin circulation/filtration works.

My personal preference is 2A and I wear an N95.
I like to have unfettered access to the lav if I need it I don't care if I had the entire economy cabin to myself....if a warm chocolate chip cookie is available, I always take a F seat over Y.
PDXPremier is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 4:02 pm
  #377  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 4,218
Originally Posted by Xrayman View Post
Whats better social distancing seating if significant at all?

2 side by side in FC 2A and 2C or with empty seat between 6a and 6C?.
The distance between the two passengers in Main might have a slight advantage over First. The centre of 6A to the centre of 6C is ~34". The distance between the centres of 2A & 2C would be ~21" plus the width of the console between the seats.

First would give you additional space front to back as well as the ability to sit offset from the seat centre to increase distance. Comfort & cookie is a clear winner for me, I am saving my cookies for PDXPremier

James
PDXPremier, Finkface and pcoll like this.
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Sep 16, 20, 6:23 pm
  #378  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 941
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
I'm not taking AS' side here, because I'd certainly be more than a bit irritated if this happened to me, but not all non-revs are created equal

in addition to Non-Rev Space Available (NRSA) (an employee or family member traveling standby, for little to no cost -- which is what most people probably generalize to when the term "Non-Rev" appears in a post), there's Non-Rev Positive Space (NRPS) which is an employee in "Must-Fly" status (case in point would be a crew member having to reposition as part of IROPS recovery elsewhere in the system)

unfortunately, unless you catch a glimpse of a paper BP, it's almost impossible to distinguish one from another :/
Do NRPS have to fly in uniform in order to qualify for that heightened "Must Fly" status? I thought that was the case with another airline, but don't recall.
AndyPatterson is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 6:46 pm
  #379  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Federal Way, WA
Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Posts: 1,176
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson View Post
Do NRPS have to fly in uniform in order to qualify for that heightened "Must Fly" status? I thought that was the case with another airline, but don't recall.
I can't speak for AS, but on "another airline" (which happens to be mentioned in your signature) it would depend on who's doing the flying and what for. Sometimes the corporate executives are in this status, but they don't have uniforms to wear so in their case, no.
When I was with UA -- long before the CO merger or the train wreck of management immediately preceding it -- there were 10 boarding priorities, some with subcategories. Revenue passengers were BP2; BP1 was reserved for (a) flight crews responding as mentioned in this thread, (b) flight crews scheduled to deadhead before flying their assignments, (c) Board of Directors members -- I never did agree with this one, and (d) NTSB accident response investigators responding to, well, an accident. Other employees flying NRPS were BP3, meaning they had a reservation but were subject to being bumped by BP2s. BP4 through BP10 were varying degrees of SA travelers -- normal employee pass travelers were BP8, while retirees with 25 years' service were BP6. BP9 and BP10, in one order or the other, were for travel agents and employees of other airlines.
Of course, I have no idea how they do it now!
dliesse is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:12 pm
  #380  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,469
Originally Posted by dliesse View Post
I can't speak for AS, but on "another airline" (which happens to be mentioned in your signature) it would depend on who's doing the flying and what for. Sometimes the corporate executives are in this status, but they don't have uniforms to wear so in their case, no.
When I was with UA -- long before the CO merger or the train wreck of management immediately preceding it -- there were 10 boarding priorities, some with subcategories. Revenue passengers were BP2; BP1 was reserved for (a) flight crews responding as mentioned in this thread, (b) flight crews scheduled to deadhead before flying their assignments, (c) Board of Directors members -- I never did agree with this one, and (d) NTSB accident response investigators responding to, well, an accident. Other employees flying NRPS were BP3, meaning they had a reservation but were subject to being bumped by BP2s. BP4 through BP10 were varying degrees of SA travelers -- normal employee pass travelers were BP8, while retirees with 25 years' service were BP6. BP9 and BP10, in one order or the other, were for travel agents and employees of other airlines.
Of course, I have no idea how they do it now!
Alaska has a policy right now to not put non-revs on if they have to be seated between paying guests. They can put three non-revs on in seats next to one another who are not together if they agree to it in advance. The only time an employee is supposed to be allowed to be seated directly next to a paying guest is if they are a deadheading crew member and other seats are not available. Deadheading crew members are not required to be in uniform. Sometimes a deadhead leg may be the only leg they are scheduled for that day so they may not be in uniform. Generally speaking, anytime there isn't a need to be in uniform immediately before, during or immediately after a deadhead leg most crew will travel in their own clothes.
lensovet likes this.
AS Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 20, 20, 3:52 pm
  #381  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 9,140
Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
Alaska has a policy right now to not put non-revs on if they have to be seated between paying guests. They can put three non-revs on in seats next to one another who are not together if they agree to it in advance. The only time an employee is supposed to be allowed to be seated directly next to a paying guest is if they are a deadheading crew member and other seats are not available. Deadheading crew members are not required to be in uniform. Sometimes a deadhead leg may be the only leg they are scheduled for that day so they may not be in uniform. Generally speaking, anytime there isn't a need to be in uniform immediately before, during or immediately after a deadhead leg most crew will travel in their own clothes.
Good to know, thanks
AS Flyer likes this.
fly747first is offline  
Old Sep 21, 20, 9:02 am
  #382  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 381
Reduced capacity and seat-blocking extended to November 30, 2020.
twitch76 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 20, 11:39 pm
  #383  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Far, Far North
Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Posts: 953
Hmmm...I've had 1A selected on an 800 (SAN-MCO in early Nov.) I went in yesterday and saw the block was removed on 1D and F so I grabbed 1F because I prefer it to 1A. Today took a look and !D was blocked. Wondering if that's because they made this change to extend the reduced capacity? I moved back to !A with the hope I don't get a seat mate...not even an FA.
kileysmom is online now  
Old Sep 23, 20, 12:27 am
  #384  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 3,943
Originally Posted by twitch76 View Post
Reduced capacity and seat-blocking extended to November 30, 2020.
I just booked my first flight since the pandemic began, and it's on AS.

Am I reading this E175 seat map correctly that 16B and 17B are blocked, but AS is seating two passengers on the starboard side of the aircraft (so 16C/D may both have passengers, with 16D being open to book not that I want it)





Also I cannot book a Q400 seat, it briefly let me choose two seats but they didn't save. Will my wife and I be seated together or have separation from other guests? We did not choose "Basic".

Thanks!
Gig103 is offline  
Old Sep 23, 20, 9:09 am
  #385  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 1,699
Yes, on E175's, B seats are blocked. Through November 2020. Not sure what is happening on Q400. How far out is that flight? I would try to select seat again . Calling AS may be required for that flight.
Should add that this is not a guarantee. If those seats are needed due to unusual circumstances, they will use them. In such a situation , you could choose to be seated with your wife and thereby not be seated by a stranger. This situation has happened to us.
pcoll is offline  
Old Sep 23, 20, 9:15 am
  #386  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
Posts: 335
Originally Posted by pcoll View Post
Yes, on E175's, B seats are blocked. Through November 2020. Not sure what is happening on Q400. How far out is that flight? I would try to select seat again . Calling AS may be required for that flight.
Should add that this is not a guarantee. If those seats are needed due to unusual circumstances, they will use them. In such a situation , you could choose to be seated with your wife and thereby not be seated by a stranger. This situation has happened to us.
I have flown on E175 and 737 and AS has more often than not filled the middle or aisle seats with strangers, usually due to having cancelled a light load flight for that day.
damnyourefine is offline  
Old Sep 23, 20, 10:16 am
  #387  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,833
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
I just booked my first flight since the pandemic began, and it's on AS.

Am I reading this E175 seat map correctly that 16B and 17B are blocked, but AS is seating two passengers on the starboard side of the aircraft (so 16C/D may both have passengers, with 16D being open to book not that I want it)

Also I cannot book a Q400 seat, it briefly let me choose two seats but they didn't save. Will my wife and I be seated together or have separation from other guests? We did not choose "Basic".

Thanks!
Just call in and they will unblock a B seat and seat you together. Better to do that now than to end up with someone beside you and then have to get a GA to sort it out. And taking up two complete rows now when you know you are going to want to sit together anyway is not the right move, imo. It blocks others from potentially buying seats on that flight. Seat yourselves together now and open up a row to let someone else have it. You want to sit together anyway.
Finkface is online now  
Old Sep 23, 20, 11:04 am
  #388  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 3,943
Originally Posted by pcoll View Post
Yes, on E175's, B seats are blocked. Through November 2020. Not sure what is happening on Q400. How far out is that flight? I would try to select seat again . Calling AS may be required for that flight.
Should add that this is not a guarantee. If those seats are needed due to unusual circumstances, they will use them. In such a situation , you could choose to be seated with your wife and thereby not be seated by a stranger. This situation has happened to us.
Thanks, pcoll. We will stay as-is and if one of those circumstances arise, we can volunteer to sit together (if a stranger is given 16B for example my wife can offer them 17A).

The flight on the Q400 is next Wednesday.
Gig103 is offline  
Old Sep 23, 20, 11:14 am
  #389  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,833
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Thanks, pcoll. We will stay as-is and if one of those circumstances arise, we can volunteer to sit together (if a stranger is given 16B for example my wife can offer them 17A).

The flight on the Q400 is next Wednesday.
Why not just do it now? You are blocking two complete rows and preventing another passenger from selecting one. Your goal is to sit together and you plan to do that. Why prevent someone else from booking that seat? It is a bit of a dk move to block a row now when you know you want to sit together and plan to do so anyway. Let someone else choose it now.
Finkface is online now  
Old Sep 23, 20, 11:21 am
  #390  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: Alaska GMVP, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Posts: 165
Q400 seat blocking is similar but the aisle seats are blocked on the starboard side. The policies of filling them seem to be the same as the E175 as they will keep them blocked unless there is a cancelation from another flight and they need to accommodate more passengers or a two folks on the same confirmation code if nothing is available on the port or A/B seat side. I agree with Finkface. I would call in and have the B seat unblocked now as opposed to waiting until the day of. Good luck!!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Klrduks is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: