Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
If avoiding COVID is what you're after, an aisle would technically be better based on how cabin circulation/filtration works.

My personal preference is 2A and I wear an N95.
I like to have unfettered access to the lav if I need it I don't care if I had the entire economy cabin to myself....if a warm chocolate chip cookie is available, I always take a F seat over Y.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Xrayman
What’s better social distancing seating if significant at all?

2 side by side in FC 2A and 2C or with empty seat between 6a and 6C?.
The distance between the two passengers in Main might have a slight advantage over First. The centre of 6A to the centre of 6C is ~34". The distance between the centres of 2A & 2C would be ~21" plus the width of the console between the seats.

First would give you additional space front to back as well as the ability to sit offset from the seat centre to increase distance. Comfort & cookie is a clear winner for me, I am saving my cookies for PDXPremier

James
PDXPremier, Finkface and pcoll like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm not taking AS' side here, because I'd certainly be more than a bit irritated if this happened to me, but not all non-revs are created equal

in addition to Non-Rev Space Available (NRSA) (an employee or family member traveling standby, for little to no cost -- which is what most people probably generalize to when the term "Non-Rev" appears in a post), there's Non-Rev Positive Space (NRPS) which is an employee in "Must-Fly" status (case in point would be a crew member having to reposition as part of IROPS recovery elsewhere in the system)

unfortunately, unless you catch a glimpse of a paper BP, it's almost impossible to distinguish one from another :/
Do NRPS have to fly in uniform in order to qualify for that heightened "Must Fly" status? I thought that was the case with another airline, but don't recall.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Do NRPS have to fly in uniform in order to qualify for that heightened "Must Fly" status? I thought that was the case with another airline, but don't recall.
I can't speak for AS, but on "another airline" (which happens to be mentioned in your signature) it would depend on who's doing the flying and what for. Sometimes the corporate executives are in this status, but they don't have uniforms to wear so in their case, no.
When I was with UA -- long before the CO merger or the train wreck of management immediately preceding it -- there were 10 boarding priorities, some with subcategories. Revenue passengers were BP2; BP1 was reserved for (a) flight crews responding as mentioned in this thread, (b) flight crews scheduled to deadhead before flying their assignments, (c) Board of Directors members -- I never did agree with this one, and (d) NTSB accident response investigators responding to, well, an accident. Other employees flying NRPS were BP3, meaning they had a reservation but were subject to being bumped by BP2s. BP4 through BP10 were varying degrees of SA travelers -- normal employee pass travelers were BP8, while retirees with 25 years' service were BP6. BP9 and BP10, in one order or the other, were for travel agents and employees of other airlines.
Of course, I have no idea how they do it now!
Old Sep 16, 2020, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by dliesse
I can't speak for AS, but on "another airline" (which happens to be mentioned in your signature) it would depend on who's doing the flying and what for. Sometimes the corporate executives are in this status, but they don't have uniforms to wear so in their case, no.
When I was with UA -- long before the CO merger or the train wreck of management immediately preceding it -- there were 10 boarding priorities, some with subcategories. Revenue passengers were BP2; BP1 was reserved for (a) flight crews responding as mentioned in this thread, (b) flight crews scheduled to deadhead before flying their assignments, (c) Board of Directors members -- I never did agree with this one, and (d) NTSB accident response investigators responding to, well, an accident. Other employees flying NRPS were BP3, meaning they had a reservation but were subject to being bumped by BP2s. BP4 through BP10 were varying degrees of SA travelers -- normal employee pass travelers were BP8, while retirees with 25 years' service were BP6. BP9 and BP10, in one order or the other, were for travel agents and employees of other airlines.
Of course, I have no idea how they do it now!
Alaska has a policy right now to not put non-revs on if they have to be seated between paying guests. They can put three non-revs on in seats next to one another who are not together if they agree to it in advance. The only time an employee is supposed to be allowed to be seated directly next to a paying guest is if they are a deadheading crew member and other seats are not available. Deadheading crew members are not required to be in uniform. Sometimes a deadhead leg may be the only leg they are scheduled for that day so they may not be in uniform. Generally speaking, anytime there isn't a need to be in uniform immediately before, during or immediately after a deadhead leg most crew will travel in their own clothes.
lensovet likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Alaska has a policy right now to not put non-revs on if they have to be seated between paying guests. They can put three non-revs on in seats next to one another who are not together if they agree to it in advance. The only time an employee is supposed to be allowed to be seated directly next to a paying guest is if they are a deadheading crew member and other seats are not available. Deadheading crew members are not required to be in uniform. Sometimes a deadhead leg may be the only leg they are scheduled for that day so they may not be in uniform. Generally speaking, anytime there isn't a need to be in uniform immediately before, during or immediately after a deadhead leg most crew will travel in their own clothes.
Good to know, thanks
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Reduced capacity and seat-blocking extended to November 30, 2020.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:39 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Hmmm...I've had 1A selected on an 800 (SAN-MCO in early Nov.) I went in yesterday and saw the block was removed on 1D and F so I grabbed 1F because I prefer it to 1A. Today took a look and !D was blocked. Wondering if that's because they made this change to extend the reduced capacity? I moved back to !A with the hope I don't get a seat mate...not even an FA.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 12:27 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by twitch76
Reduced capacity and seat-blocking extended to November 30, 2020.
I just booked my first flight since the pandemic began, and it's on AS.

Am I reading this E175 seat map correctly that 16B and 17B are blocked, but AS is seating two passengers on the starboard side of the aircraft (so 16C/D may both have passengers, with 16D being open to book not that I want it)

Also I cannot book a Q400 seat, it briefly let me choose two seats but they didn't save. Will my wife and I be seated together or have separation from other guests? We did not choose "Basic".

Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: AS
Yes, on E175's, B seats are blocked. Through November 2020. Not sure what is happening on Q400. How far out is that flight? I would try to select seat again . Calling AS may be required for that flight.
Should add that this is not a guarantee. If those seats are needed due to unusual circumstances, they will use them. In such a situation , you could choose to be seated with your wife and thereby not be seated by a stranger. This situation has happened to us.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by pcoll
Yes, on E175's, B seats are blocked. Through November 2020. Not sure what is happening on Q400. How far out is that flight? I would try to select seat again . Calling AS may be required for that flight.
Should add that this is not a guarantee. If those seats are needed due to unusual circumstances, they will use them. In such a situation , you could choose to be seated with your wife and thereby not be seated by a stranger. This situation has happened to us.
I have flown on E175 and 737 and AS has more often than not filled the middle or aisle seats with strangers, usually due to having cancelled a light load flight for that day.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Gig103
I just booked my first flight since the pandemic began, and it's on AS.

Am I reading this E175 seat map correctly that 16B and 17B are blocked, but AS is seating two passengers on the starboard side of the aircraft (so 16C/D may both have passengers, with 16D being open to book not that I want it)

Also I cannot book a Q400 seat, it briefly let me choose two seats but they didn't save. Will my wife and I be seated together or have separation from other guests? We did not choose "Basic".

Thanks!
Just call in and they will unblock a B seat and seat you together. Better to do that now than to end up with someone beside you and then have to get a GA to sort it out. And taking up two complete rows now when you know you are going to want to sit together anyway is not the right move, imo. It blocks others from potentially buying seats on that flight. Seat yourselves together now and open up a row to let someone else have it. You want to sit together anyway.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by pcoll
Thanks, pcoll. We will stay as-is and if one of those circumstances arise, we can volunteer to sit together (if a stranger is given 16B for example my wife can offer them 17A).

The flight on the Q400 is next Wednesday.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Gig103
Thanks, pcoll. We will stay as-is and if one of those circumstances arise, we can volunteer to sit together (if a stranger is given 16B for example my wife can offer them 17A).

The flight on the Q400 is next Wednesday.
Why not just do it now? You are blocking two complete rows and preventing another passenger from selecting one. Your goal is to sit together and you plan to do that. Why prevent someone else from booking that seat? It is a bit of a d—k move to block a row now when you know you want to sit together and plan to do so anyway. Let someone else choose it now.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Q400 seat blocking is similar but the aisle seats are blocked on the starboard side. The policies of filling them seem to be the same as the E175 as they will keep them blocked unless there is a cancelation from another flight and they need to accommodate more passengers or a two folks on the same confirmation code if nothing is available on the port or A/B seat side. I agree with Finkface. I would call in and have the B seat unblocked now as opposed to waiting until the day of. Good luck!!
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.