Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
I've done this but only when booked on the same ticket. Would feel inappropriate to do that booked on separate tickets
I thought if you were booked on the same ticket, you would either both be upgraded or neither would get upgraded.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I thought if you were booked on the same ticket, you would either both be upgraded or neither would get upgraded.
Not in my limited experience during C19 when the upgrade space is only U1.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scklumb
question...
I just became 75k, my partner is MVPG. We typically buy our own tickets. we haven't flown together since this pandemic started.
on a 737 aircraft, if I'm upgraded and the seat next to me is empty. If I explain to a gate agent my partner is on the list, would they upgrade my partner to the seat next to me, even if he not #1 on the upgrade list, thus bypassing the others on the list?
I have wondered the same thing....especially since both my kids and wife are all MVPs. During seat blocking, it seems odd that a seat next to me would remain empty if one of my family members is still on the waitlist....I would have no problem talking to a GA about it.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Not in my limited experience during C19 when the upgrade space is only U1.
Interesting....I've never had the upgrade split (yet) with two on the same reservation.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Interesting....I've never had the upgrade split (yet) with two on the same reservation.
I think a single behind you in line may be likely to get the upgrade, if only one seat is available.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I think a single behind you in line may be likely to get the upgrade, if only one seat is available.
That's how I thought it has always worked.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
But if it’s only “available” to people in the same reservation because of social distancing rules nobody would be upgraded and a seat in F would go out empty. So wouldn’t they let the companion in that seat. Especially if they link their PNRs?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by vanillabean
that's the old "normal"

Originally Posted by Bellerina
But if it’s only “available” to people in the same reservation because of social distancing rules nobody would be upgraded and a seat in F would go out empty. So wouldn’t they let the companion in that seat. Especially if they link their PNRs?
​​​​​​​even if I was that "single behind you on the list" I'd sure hope that today's social distance policy would override the automatic UG, and I'd have absolutely no problem with GA manual intervention to UG your companion on a separate PNR into that F seat
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jrl767

even if I was that "single behind you on the list" I'd sure hope that today's social distance policy would override the automatic UG, and I'd have absolutely no problem with GA manual intervention to UG your companion on a separate PNR into that F seat
I agree with this. I was on a flight where one of a pair was upgraded, and the upgraded passenger sat in F for takeoff to until the flight attendant had given out the snack boxes and drinks when they moved back to sit with their companion in the main cabin until landing when they moved back to F.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Have you asked? I always ask the gate agent even if all seats are accounted for and all F passengers are checked in. I will let them them know I would be willing to split the PNR if a seat opens up. I have on many occassions had my PNR split, even on a Companion Certificate and even while already seated in Premium.

When the flight is in gate control, the gate agent makes the final decisions, not the upgrade processor. Interestingly, UA is taking that power away from the gate agents and going to an automated upgrade process to eliminate "shenanigans."

For the OP, I would suggest speaking with the gate agent and explain that your companion is on a different PNR and if there was an upgrade available for yourself, you would be fine with your companion sitting in the same half row. Also note that as a 75K you can choose any seat, even Premium, during booking on any non-saver fare. Your Gold companion can not. However, if you are both on the same PNR, your 75K status will allow you to chose any seat for your companion as well. Something to consider with future bookings.

James
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:54 pm

even if I was that "single behind you on the list" I'd sure hope that today's social distance policy would override the automatic UG, and I'd have absolutely no problem with GA manual intervention to UG your companion on a separate PNR into that F seat
During gate control, the Upgrade processor is mute.

​​​​​​​James
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Have you asked? I always ask the gate agent even if all seats are accounted for and all F passengers are checked in. I will let them them know I would be willing to split the PNR if a seat opens up. I have on many occassions had my PNR split, even on a Companion Certificate and even while already seated in Premium.

When the flight is in gate control, the gate agent makes the final decisions, not the upgrade processor. Interestingly, UA is taking that power away from the gate agents and going to an automated upgrade process to eliminate "shenanigans."

For the OP, I would suggest speaking with the gate agent and explain that your companion is on a different PNR and if there was an upgrade available for yourself, you would be fine with your companion sitting in the same half row. Also note that as a 75K you can choose any seat, even Premium, during booking on any non-saver fare. Your Gold companion can not. However, if you are both on the same PNR, your 75K status will allow you to chose any seat for your companion as well. Something to consider with future bookings.

James
I usually don't ask cause I'm typically in the exit row or premium class if I don't get upgraded and prefer to sit with my companion.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
During gate control, the Upgrade processor is mute
noted for complete and literal accuracy, but only peripherally relevant to context and intent of the point I was trying to make

and that said, I’d really hate to have the UG processor talking to anyone at any time
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:27 am

and that said, I’d really hate to have the UG processor talking to anyone at any time
and that said, it is a moot point! Mute, used as a verb, doesn't always refer to sound. The technology industry would grind to a halt if computers couldn't "talk" to each other, whether wired or wireless, across a frequency range not audible to the human ear, with such communication "translated" into "textual", "audible" or "visual" responses to the end user. Yes, a gate agent can mute the processor and take control of the upgrade list

Your lesson for today! Mine was to eliminate capitalization & punctuation.

James
Old Aug 18, 2020, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thank you very much professor; may we please NOT have another
Bellerina likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.