Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by BOB W
This. I have made MVPG75K for 2021, so my only incentive to fly is to visit family members that moved to Denver earlier this year. I have two RT's planned. One next month and one in February. Both in paid F. Seat blocking will protect my December flight. If I do not have the vaccine before the February flight, I will most likely cancel unless AS extends seat blocking. We are (hopefully) so close to getting beyond this that I believe AS would hurt their image and customer care policies if they don't keep the current program in place just a bit longer.
Unless you happen to be on one of the random E175 flights from ANC-SEA, then all bets are off.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Response received. Boilerplate, of course, and didn't address my questions at all. I wrote back that their response was unacceptable, and described what had happened (again) on both of my flights in F on the E175 and asked for them to review further and respond again. Disappointing, to say the least.

"In response to our guests concerns, we have begun spacing passengers proactively on our flights, leaving select seats open in the main cabin. Additionally, we are trying to not book every seat in the First-Class cabin. Extra spacing between guests is not guaranteed due to unexpected changes and is subject to the weight and balance restrictions, should a guest feel uncomfortable with the distance between guests on your day of flight please speak with a Customer Service Agent about your options. Your comments have been shared with the Customer Service Manager so we can continue and review our policies and procedures to align with the safety and health concerns of our passengers. I sincerely apologize for your experience. Additional information may be found on our website at:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...-your-wingspan

It is my hope that your future flights with us will reflect the high level of service you have come to expect when traveling with us. We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you aboard another Alaska flight soon."
2nd response received today with (2) $75 discount codes included.:

"Your concerns have been forwarded to me for further review and handling. Please be assured that your initial concerns regarding the upgrading of passengers to fill the first-class cabin has been shared with our management team.

In regard to your future flights, as of December 1, 2020, we will no longer be blocking seats on the seat map on our regional flights. We are still limited the total number of guests per flight, so these regional flights won't be full. Our regional flights are usually flown with the Embraer 175 aircraft. On our mainline flights, we are continuing to block middle seats through January 6, 2021. It is my hope that this additional information will be helpful in planning your future travel. To stay up to date with any changes, please visit www.alaskaair.com/nextlevelcare

As a customer service gesture for your recent flight, I am including two Discount Codes. Please reference the appropriate code below at the time of booking. To use your discount, go to alaskaair.com/planbook and enter the Discount Code into the Discount Code field on the right side of the booking form."
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I wouldn't count on having been vaccinated by Feb, but good to have hope! It will likely take a while for production and distribution to ramp up, with initial priority for seniors/those w/ conditions that leave them vulnerable, health care workers, other essential workers, and then more widespread availability.
From what I am hearing, between Pfizer and Moderna, there will be about 40 million doses available by early next year. Depending on how you look at it, I qualify for at least one of the groups you have mentioned to be in the second wave of inoculations. No health problems, but over 65...
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
Delta extended middle-seat blocking until March 30, 2021.
Please AS....you don't need to follow DL on this one....but if you do decide to follow, at least remove the seat blocking and return U space to the F cabin.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: Yes
I would rather see seat blocking end as scheduled on 12/1 and have U space return.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
I would rather see seat blocking end as scheduled on 12/1 and have U space return.
That's even better, but I figured since they already committed themselves to January, I would let that go....
pcoll likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Unless they extend the 65% cap in F, I will likely not be flying on AS until I have a vaccine, which I assume to be quite a ways off given I am not in the higher priority brackets. Quite depressing, but I usually travel solo, so I would likely be next to a stranger. I hope they extend the seat blocking/cap.
ANC RED-EYE likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bellerina
Unless they extend the 65% cap in F, I will likely not be flying on AS
I'm already only flying AS solo on 175s where I can get a single. Same with UA.

With DL extending blocking into March, we can all decide for ourselves what's more important - seat blocking or upgrades - and choose our carrier accordingly.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Kacee

With DL extending blocking into March, we can all decide for ourselves what's more important - seat blocking or upgrades - and choose our carrier accordingly.
Thats true, at least we have a choice of where to fly. Personally, I love giving my business but I want my bourbon and U space back.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee

Yup. May have to look into DL status matching. Unfortunate as I really like AS, but they’re making it hard.

Feels like if they want to give up on seat blocking they might as well bring back bourbon and hot meals. Pick safety or pick comforts.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Let’s hope AS comes to their senses and does not follow Delta. Those of us who have read and understand the science are ready for the seat blocking to end!
PDXPremier and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Let’s hope AS comes to their senses and does not follow Delta. Those of us who have read and understand the science are ready for the seat blocking to end!
Like almost everything else these days, opinion on that is likely polarized. AAG is in a tough position.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:21 pm

it's my understanding that middle seat blocking on DL only applies to those planes that have middle seats, no? For instance, on most of their widebody airplanes, the 717 and A220 the layouts have two seats paired together, thus negating the middle seat blocking and leaving you open to be seated next to a stranger. I also thought I understood that they were booking F full? I may be wrong - interested in knowing if that's right or wrong.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
it's my understanding that middle seat blocking on DL only applies to those planes that have middle seats, no? For instance, on most of their widebody airplanes, the 717 and A220 the layouts have two seats paired together, thus negating the middle seat blocking and leaving you open to be seated next to a stranger. I also thought I understood that they were booking F full? I may be wrong - interested in knowing if that's right or wrong.
Well, middle seat blocking would require there be a middle seat, so you're right about that! On the widebodies, say the A330 for example, it's the 2 middle seats in the middle section of 4 seats. On the 717/220, they block one of the aisle seats.

F is not booked full, and they block the adjacent seat when assigned by a solo traveler. The only exception are the D1 flights. Here's the full policy:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-u...ces#socialdist
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 10:54 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
lol...really? You realize those studies were essentially funded by the airlines, right? Evidence 101 - you can't trust evidence that is funded by someone who has a significant conflict of interest. The ventilation and filtration systems are definitely good, and will definitely mitigate spread to the entire plane; however, if you end up next to John Q. Covid who decides it takes 88 minutes to eat a fruit and cheese plate, and Johnny happens to be in the presymptomatic phase of COVID, the ventilation and filtration are probably just not going to do it for you.

Delta has sort of forced Alaska's hand here, I'd be surprised if AS doesn't extend to 3/30 to match. Regardless, I won't be battling you for your upgrades, so good luck!
Daze, BOB W, lensovet and 4 others like this.

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Nov 18, 2020 at 11:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.