Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
WN announced 12/1 they will not block middle seats anymore, considering their battle in intra-California market with WN, I think it is only a matter of time, Delta following would be an even bigger catalyst, to remove the restrictions.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by safari ari
WN announced 12/1 they will not block middle seats anymore, considering their battle in intra-California market with WN, I think it is only a matter of time, Delta following would be an even bigger catalyst, to remove the restrictions.
Watch the delusional WN fans defend this decision like they did when WN cut back on their sanitation procedures a few months back. It's pretty clear that AS and DL are the leaders in providing a safe flying environment, and AS has been able to do so while retaining a decent level of in-flight service.
pcoll likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Watch the delusional WN fans defend this decision like they did when WN cut back on their sanitation procedures a few months back. It's pretty clear that AS and DL are the leaders in providing a safe flying environment, and AS has been able to do so while retaining a decent level of in-flight service.
WN has generally been the leader in making money, or at least not losing as much. They're making a bet here, and they have a history of being more right than wrong.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by safari ari
I was going to post this with doubts that AS would extend social distance seating, but am glad I was wrong. GO ALASKA!

Jiburi
Old Oct 23, 2020, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's pretty clear that AS and DL are the leaders in providing a safe flying environment,
I've flown all the majors since March, and I don't agree at all that AS is a leader. They disregard their published policies both in terms of filling seats and not enforcing mask requirements (including recently at PHX where GAs refused to do anything about pax who was defiantly not wearing mask). DL is head and shoulders above everyone else.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've flown all the majors since March, and I don't agree at all that AS is a leader. They disregard their published policies both in terms of filling seats and not enforcing mask requirements (including recently at PHX where GAs refused to do anything about pax who was defiantly not wearing mask). DL is head and shoulders above everyone else.
Did the GA notice? Did someone bring it to their attention? What was their response? Did you contact Alaska CC? What was Alaska’s response?
Old Oct 23, 2020, 8:46 am

I've flown DL and AS too and I simply disagree. Granted, AS offers more food/beverage so there are naturally going to be more times when someone has their mask off for a minute.

"DL is head and shoulders above everyone else." - simply laughable...
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Did the GA notice? Did someone bring it to their attention? What was their response? Did you contact Alaska CC? What was Alaska’s response?
The passenger was sitting about 20 feet from the counter talking on his cell phone without a mask. For a really long time. I pointed this out to GA at the counter and she said "there's nothing I can do." I reminded her that AS's published policies say that passengers in the gate area must wear a mask and that it's also a Sky Harbor requirement. She repeated "there's nothing I can do." Pax subsequently boarded without a mask. I was right behind him and pointed this out to the GA checking BPs. She looked down and refused to respond. Pax was allowed to board the aircraft maskless. FAs did nothing, either.

Here's AS's response to my complaint:

We are taking all precautions to maintain a safe experience for all our guests and employees. All guests are advised of the Alaska Airlines required protocol regarding their use of masks from booking to check-in. Our gate agents and flight attendants make announcements and have received training to ensure that this policy is enforced as consistently as possible. We also recently installed a "Yellow Card" that our flight attendants will give to any guest who is not wearing the face mask or is wearing it incorrectly. This Yellow Card is a final notice to the guests and if the guest still isn't complying with our policy the flight attendant will file a report which could result in the suspension of future travel on Alaska Airlines. We do, however, expect our gate agents and flight attendants to enforce the policy prior to and during the flight. I was very disappointed to hear that this was not done on your flight. Along with my sincere apologies, I can assure you that I have shared your comment with our Inflight Manager and Phoenix Station Manager for further review.

By contrast, DL has clearly made it a priority to enforce the mask rule. They have "enforcers" walking around in the SkyClubs politely asking guests to wear their mask. Their FAs are required to make regular passes through the cabin to enforce compliance. On two occasions when I've raised noncompliance with an FA, they have promptly and firmly enforced the rule. One of them immediately escalated to the pilot who had a brief chat with the passenger in question.

The difference between the two airlines' enforcement of their face covering rules is night and day.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 9:36 am

The passenger was sitting about 20 feet from the counter talking on his cell phone without a mask. For a really long time. I pointed this out to GA at the counter and she said "there's nothing I can do." I reminded her that AS's published policies say that passengers in the gate area must wear a mask and that it's also a Sky Harbor requirement. She repeated "there's nothing I can do." Pax subsequently boarded without a mask. I was right behind him and pointed this out to the GA checking BPs. She looked down and refused to respond. Pax was allowed to board the aircraft maskless. FAs did nothing, either.
In the scientific world, we call that an N of 1, and no conclusion can be drawn.

Nevertheless, I'll add that I have heard multiple announcements made and have seen lounge agents personally remind people to wear masks in AS lounges, and have seen FAs comment on proper mask-wearing during boarding, as well as in flight.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: Yes
In the scientific world, we call that an N of 1, and no conclusion can be drawn.

Nevertheless, I'll add that I have heard multiple announcements made and have seen lounge agents personally remind people to wear masks in AS lounges, and have seen FAs comment on proper mask-wearing during boarding, as well as in flight.
Yeah, that GA’s behavior is disappointing.

I have flown numerous AS flights since March and not once have I seen a GA/FA fail to enforce it at the gate or boarding. (While in flight is another matter).

I hope that employee receives some training.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
I hope that employee receives some training.
It was at least three employees (two GAs, one FA).
So your observations are valid, and mine are not? There's a word for that in the scientific world, too

I can't even count the number of AS gate announcements I've heard telling passengers they may be forced to sit next to a stranger. It's often enough I'd call it a regular occurrence.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 9:49 am

It was at least three employees (two GAs, one FA).

So your observations are valid, and mine are not? There's a word for that in the scientific world, too
Of course not
It’s clear though over the last several months that you’d like to make misrepresentations about Alaska‘s handling of the situation based on a few random data points, so I’m just providing my data points to increase our N and nullify yours.
anteater and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
... she said "there's nothing I can do." I reminded her that AS's published policies say that passengers in the gate area must wear a mask and that it's also a Sky Harbor requirement. She repeated "there's nothing I can do." ...
It would appear her hands were tied?
Old Oct 23, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have seen GAs tell passengers to raise the masks up over nose, remind them to wear the mask in the gate area, and Ive seen FAs reminding passengers of this as they board, and walking the aisle during flights on the AS flights on the last 15 flights Ive been on since Sept 8 on AS. What I also notice is that people do so. I have yet to see the flagrant refusal to wear masks and wear them properly. So, while my experiences make me feel comfortable flying AS, others may just need to fly DL only due to their experiences. The peace of mind should be worthwhile I would think.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ctporter
I have seen GAs tell passengers to raise the masks up over nose, remind them to wear the mask in the gate area, and Ive seen FAs reminding passengers of this as they board, and walking the aisle during flights on the AS flights on the last 15 flights Ive been on since Sept 8 on AS. What I also notice is that people do so. I have yet to see the flagrant refusal to wear masks and wear them properly. So, while my experiences make me feel comfortable flying AS, others may just need to fly DL only due to their experiences. The peace of mind should be worthwhile I would think.
My experience over 10 flights is commensurate. I remember Holly, a fabulous F FA who personally addressed the F cabin, introduced herself, briefly pulled her mask down and said "this is my face and this is the last time you will see it," pulled it back up and then proceeded to explain expectations even during food & drink service. The "up beat," approach & service was impeccable and there were zero issues during the fight.

I have also been in the LAX AL when a PA announcement was made to notify everyone of their "sip & cover" policy.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.