Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AA C19 Flight Cancellation using Alaska Award

Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:37 am
DUT
Original Poster

Programs: MVPG

We were on a one way Alaska award on AA Business Class Seattle to Berlin in August.

AA just cancelled the international leg Philadelphia to Berlin due to significant reduction in demand due to C19.

Assuming C19 goes into our rear view mirrors by then, we would still like to travel.

Befire I get on the line with Alaska, any advice? I’m hoping they rebook us, but not sure they’ll do that. And as we are only one way on American, appears EU261 doesn’t apply to us.

Thanks,
DUT
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'd wait.

AS will probably rebook you on another carrier.

August is too far out (IMO) to worry and contact AS about. Maybe they'll put you on BA or someone else. Or several carriers. I've seen creative solutions before. And if you don't like it, you can refund too.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:07 pm
DUT
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
I'd wait.

AS will probably rebook you on another carrier.

August is too far out (IMO) to worry and contact AS about. Maybe they'll put you on BA or someone else. Or several carriers. I've seen creative solutions before. And if you don't like it, you can refund too.
Thanks Beckoa.

Thats good to hear that they will rebook us, that’s what we are hoping for. Routing or carrier doesn’t matter so long as is business class.

Appreciate your advice :-)

DUT
Old Apr 6, 2020, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by DUT
Thanks Beckoa.

Thats good to hear that they will rebook us, that’s what we are hoping for. Routing or carrier doesn’t matter so long as is business class.

Appreciate your advice :-)

DUT
They should... with how fluid things are at the moment, and crazy for reservations, I'd wait. I have had a myriad of changes to some int'l metal itins later this week that I won't be able to take due to a ban on foreigners traveling to Japan Still need to call in to cancel (schedules are so convoluted, can't cancel online) - currently booked a day later with a forced overnight in SFO too
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:06 am
DUT
Original Poster

They should... with how fluid things are at the moment, and crazy for reservations, I'd wait. I have had a myriad of changes to some int'l metal itins later this week that I won't be able to take due to a ban on foreigners traveling to Japan Still need to call in to cancel (schedules are so convoluted, can't cancel online) - currently booked a day later with a forced overnight in SFO too
Good Luck and thanks...

DUT
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:42 pm
DUT
Original Poster

So, curiosity got the better of me and I called in to Partner Reservations.

They apologized, but said there’s nothing they can do. American Airlines canceled the flight and there are no substitutions available nor was Alaska Airlines willing to override on to British Airways or any one of their other Partner carriers.

Further, I don’t believe EU261 applies as AA is not a European carrier and the flight is originating in the USA.

Bottom line… A confirmed partner award reservation using Alaska airlines mileage isn’t really confirmed until you actually reach your destination. This is per a lead at the partner desk and their global desk. Alaska will not guarantee anything when a partner flight cancellation occurs, they left me with a good luck and call back when you want your miles redeposited...

For those of you with award travel on AA, I suggest you reconfirm you’re flights and good luck!

DUT

Last edited by DUT; Apr 17, 2020 at 5:05 pm
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:46 am

Tough to hear-

Got notice that my LHR-LAX BA F flight was cancelled in the past day or two. Ugh- guess that trip is tango uniform.

And no, ex-USA no EU261 would apply on AA. However, if it was on say BA, I don't see how EU261 would apply either as the cancellation is so far in the future? Just checking.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DUT
So, curiosity got the better of me and I called in to Partner Reservations.

They apologized, but said there’s nothing they can do. American Airlines canceled the flight and there are no substitutions available nor was Alaska Airlines willing to override on to British Airways or any one of their other Partner carriers.

Further, I don’t believe EU261 applies as AA is not a European carrier and the flight is originating in the USA.

Bottom line… A confirmed partner award reservation using Alaska airlines mileage isn’t really confirmed until you actually reach your destination. This is per a lead at the partner desk and their global desk. Alaska will not guarantee anything when a partner flight cancellation occurs, they left me with a good luck and call back when you want your miles redeposited...

For those of you with award travel on AA, I suggest you reconfirm you’re flights and good luck!

DUT
I wouldn't exactly expect things to be normal by August, given that senior officials in EU member states are suggesting border closures through September. Do you actually have EU citizenship or is this a non-tourist visit involving critical business? That may very well be the only way you'd be allowed in- not to mention that air travel USA-EU or EU state-EU State may not be normal at all by August (the cancellations are rolling right now, I wouldn't assume August schedules in April for ANYONE have any relation to what will really be happening in August).

I don't see a lot of point in making AS employees jump through hoops redoing your itinerary now when you have precisely zero guarantee you'd be allowed to or be able to travel on a planned itinerary in the first place, if this is your vacation travel. You might find award availability close in if you're willing to wait it out; otherwise I'd go ahead and cancel.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tough to hear-

Got notice that my LHR-LAX BA F flight was cancelled in the past day or two. Ugh- guess that trip is tango uniform.

And no, ex-USA no EU261 would apply on AA. However, if it was on say BA, I don't see how EU261 would apply either as the cancellation is so far in the future? Just checking.
Right, even if EU261 applied (which it doesn't), there is nothing due in this case as the cancellation is more than 14 days out.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
Right, even if EU261 applied (which it doesn't), there is nothing due in this case as the cancellation is more than 14 days out.
That was my understanding. Just wanted to verify- thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2020, 11:49 am
DUT
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I wouldn't exactly expect things to be normal by August, given that senior officials in EU member states are suggesting border closures through September. Do you actually have EU citizenship or is this a non-tourist visit involving critical business? That may very well be the only way you'd be allowed in- not to mention that air travel USA-EU or EU state-EU State may not be normal at all by August (the cancellations are rolling right now, I wouldn't assume August schedules in April for ANYONE have any relation to what will really be happening in August).

I don't see a lot of point in making AS employees jump through hoops redoing your itinerary now when you have precisely zero guarantee you'd be allowed to or be able to travel on a planned itinerary in the first place, if this is your vacation travel. You might find award availability close in if you're willing to wait it out; otherwise I'd go ahead and cancel.

Without going down a rabbit hole, nothing in life is guaranteed except death a taxes. The ability to travel to/from EU was not the topic of my question, but thanks for your feedback.

DUT
Old Apr 19, 2020, 11:52 am
DUT
Original Poster

That was my understanding. Just wanted to verify- thanks!
The only aspect of EU261 that might apply would be re-accommodation, if so desired at at time of the travelers choosing. Compensation applies if less than 14 days, I believe. Last option is refund.

g luck!

DUT
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DUT
Without going down a rabbit hole, nothing in life is guaranteed except death a taxes. The ability to travel to/from EU was not the topic of my question, but thanks for your feedback.

DUT
I don't get the impression you take feedback offered here very seriously, given that you were told "it's too soon to contact AS to fix up an August vacation with cancelled flights under these circumstances, wait a while" in the very first response to you, and you ignored it.

It's unfortunate you didn't wait because there may well be notes in your call record about you pushing the issue to a supervisor (and their response) that wouldn't be there had you waited- but I still would offer feedback of "wait until much closer in (maybe a week) and try to fix your award then, if you really do want to go". If things go well there may well be award availability.

Good luck in your travels.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 19, 2020 at 1:04 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.