Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Fares Extended?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by philemer
1 day for some and up to 91 days for others. Would have made more sense to just extend them all by 3 months.
That makes no sense to me, why would mine that is expiring in August be extended at this time? Alaska is doing a lot of good things during this crises, giving out freebies for no particular reason doesn't seem like the best move to me.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Companion certs extended until 12/31/20

New word in a detailed FAQ on the Alaska Airlines blog:

"All companion certificates set to expire in 2020 will be extended. You’ll now have until December 31, 2020 to purchase new travel through November 26, 2021."
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
My companion certs with 2020 expiration (originally April and August) now show an expiration date of 12/31/2020.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
That makes no sense to me, why would mine that is expiring in August be extended at this time? Alaska is doing a lot of good things during this crises, giving out freebies for no particular reason doesn't seem like the best move to me.
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
New word in a detailed FAQ on the Alaska Airlines blog:

"All companion certificates set to expire in 2020 will be extended. You’ll now have until December 31, 2020 to purchase new travel through November 26, 2021."
Even better than a fixed 3 month extension. You rock, AS.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
Even better than a fixed 3 month extension. You rock, AS.
I currently have two, both extended today including a reissue. One was extended 2 months, the other 4 months.

James
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:38 pm

Any chance AS will extend companion certificates again? I believe all companion fare certificates for 2020 now expire December 31, 2020. I know you just have to book something by that date but it’s hard to plan where/when to go with all the changing restrictions around North America. For us in Canada, we’re still subject to a 14 day quarantine upon return which basically make travel outside the country impractical. The current feeling is that this along with other restrictions will be in place for many more months.

Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by jashah
Any chance AS will extend companion certificates again? I believe all companion fare certificates for 2020 now expire December 31, 2020. I know you just have to book something by that date but it’s hard to plan where/when to go with all the changing restrictions around North America. For us in Canada, we’re still subject to a 14 day quarantine upon return which basically make travel outside the country impractical. The current feeling is that this along with other restrictions will be in place for many more months.

Thanks
I posted a strategy here to lock in an expiring companion certificate. A 14-day self-quarentine returning home isn't fun, I have done it twice. Hopefully, that will be shortened with testing and be in place before I return in the spring.

James
Old Dec 7, 2020, 12:26 am

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
i gather that companion certificates expiring dec 31 2020 are not getting extended?
Old Dec 8, 2020, 4:54 pm

What happens if I book a companion fare under covid rules (cert expiring in a few weeks) and then call to cancel this booking after a few days - will the new companion fare issued have a new expiration date one-year out?
Old Dec 8, 2020, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
What happens if I book a companion fare under covid rules (cert expiring in a few weeks) and then call to cancel this booking after a few days - will the new companion fare issued have a new expiration date one-year out?
No, it will be reissued within a week with the December 2020 date. There are no change fees, just change your ticket to a future date and it will be preserved.

James
pcoll likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:17 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
There are no change fees, just change your ticket to a future date and it will be preserved.

James
Are we allowed to change only the dates or destinations as well? Let's say I get tickets from NYC to Hawaii for May 2021. Can I change them for a flight to Costa Rica later that year?
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by a7m
Are we allowed to change only the dates or destinations as well? Let's say I get tickets from NYC to Hawaii for May 2021. Can I change them for a flight to Costa Rica later that year?
You most certainly can, and I am speaking from experience.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by a7m
I rebooked my December PHX-SEA-HNL return with a companion certificate attached to PHX-SEA-FLL return in January. I did that online and the fare difference for the cheaper rebooked itinerary went directly to my wallet.

I am going to Costa Rica for Christmas and was going to be in SEA for NYE. I have to return to Canada before January 5th to reset my travel benefits. I changed that itinerary with a companion certificate attached too online and now flying SEA-YVR on the 31st & then YVR-SEA-PHX on the 1st.

AS is now also further extending Companion Certificates to February 28th if you cancel a reservation that has a certificate attached. You would have until that date to attach it to any itinerary through end of service.

But, yes, you can change destinations.

James
Seattlenerd and pcoll like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
You most certainly can, and I am speaking from experience.
How long is it extended for if we were do to this? I have 4, two expiring now on 12-31 and 2 in the summer of 2021. I should have just cancelled the 2nd credit card before it renewed last summer. But I didnt think this would still be going on.

Also we have sll sorts of other credits and wallet funds.

Hate to lose all of this, but might just happen.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
How long is it extended for if we were do to this? I have 4, two expiring now on 12-31 and 2 in the summer of 2021. I should have just cancelled the 2nd credit card before it renewed last summer. But I didnt think this would still be going on.

Also we have sll sorts of other credits and wallet funds.

Hate to lose all of this, but might just happen.
James posted the most thorough, detailed explanation of this process I've ever seen, here you go:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32851887-post35.html
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.