Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Alaska Fleet Adjustments Due to COVID-19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:57 am
Original Poster

American has announced a large fleet reduction via accelerated retirements of older aircraft. Namely the 757s, 767s and 74 older 737-800s. Delta has also announced acceleration of the MD fleet retirement.

What adjustments might we see to the Alaska fleet? Will the a319s be jettisoned sooner? Perhaps some of the older 737-800s will be retired?

market analysts speculate demand for air travel will not recover to pre 2020 numbers for a while. With a few MAXs already built, and dozens more on order, I wonder if Alaska will trim the NG fleet and the airbus fleet sooner and let the MAX deliveries slowly ramp the fleet back up to pre-COVID numbers.

thoughts?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I am guessing they will dump all the Airbuses except for the 321, and maybe the non-ER 737-900s.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I am guessing they will dump all the Airbuses except for the 321, and maybe the non-ER 737-900s.
permanently remove ALL of the non-a321s? I don’t see that happening given the money Alaska has poured into the cabin reconfigs, repainting, and 2ku installation.

I could see the 319s being dumped, and some of the older 320s having an accelerated retirement.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the non-ER 900s being retired either. I’ve gotta imagine they’re due for a heavy check soon, unless they’ve recently completed it. That’s usually a trigger for retirements if an airline is already considering it, or needing to cut capacity.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:12 am

It would nice if they either dump or refresh the -800s. It's a shame they are on so many T-cons and Hawaii flights while being in much worse shape than the -900s.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
It would nice if they either dump or refresh the -800s. It's a shame they are on so many T-cons and Hawaii flights while being in much worse shape than the -900s.
I completely agree. The refresh they completed on the -700s looks nice from the pictures and videos I’ve seen. I haven’t flown it myself. Would also be nice to see the seats in economy updated on the -900ERs. I’ve flown the new economy seats on the retrofit a320s and they are an improvement in comfort IMO.

I’m really looking forward to seeing the Max interior. That’ll be the first time Alaska receives the new interior from the OEM, so it should look even better than the retrofit airplanes.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:21 am
formerly ASTechGuy

Word internally is that they're considering using this as an opportunity to quickly migrate back to an all 737 fleet, meaning quick return of all if the airbus, including the A321s. Despite all the recent investments in interior mods and the operating benefits of the A321s, it's not hard to see how the economics of a single fleet type could be really compelling in this kind of scenario. They'd have some pilot training costs to work through even with significant furloughs, but knowing how this company thinks, I could easily see them choosing to go this direction, especially given how many of the Airbus jets are on short term leases.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PacNWFlyer
Word internally is that they're considering using this as an opportunity to quickly migrate back to an all 737 fleet, meaning quick return of all if the airbus, including the A321s. Despite all the recent investments in interior mods and the operating benefits of the A321s, it's not hard to see how the economics of a single fleet type could be really compelling in this kind of scenario. They'd have some pilot training costs to work through even with significant furloughs, but knowing how this company thinks, I could easily see them choosing to go this direction, especially given how many of the Airbus jets are on short term leases.
Until they start getting a steep on ramp of MAXs I don’t see how they can afford to lose all of that capacity post covid. I could see retiring a large chunk of the airbus fleet near term, but to completely ditch the airbus fleet without MAXs coming in is hard for me to picture.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ASA_1
Until they start getting a steep on ramp of MAXs I don’t see how they can afford to lose all of that capacity post covid. I could see retiring a large chunk of the airbus fleet near term, but to completely ditch the airbus fleet without MAXs coming in is hard for me to picture.
Depends on how quickly they think air travel will ramp up post-Covid. The long this goes on, the worse the economy gets, the longer the rebound could be. It could be years to see pre-Covid travel numbers. In the meantime, AS like other carriers, is looking to stop the cash flow loss today. Tomorrow will have to look after itself.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:23 pm

That’s not the “word internally”. They’re parking a fairly substantial number of Boeing 737-900’s right now and, per the last communication, 319’s and the 320’s that have yet to undergo refurb will be parked. Was in OKC several days ago and saw 10 737-900’s and not one Airbus. I have no idea what their fleet plan is but the “word internally” is all over the board depending on who you talk to.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
That’s not the “word internally”. They’re parking a fairly substantial number of Boeing 737-900’s right now and, per the last communication, 319’s and the 320’s that have yet to undergo refurb will be parked. Was in OKC several days ago and saw 10 737-900’s and not one Airbus. I have no idea what their fleet plan is but the “word internally” is all over the board depending on who you talk to.
Probably "too soon" to say that "rumors are spreading faster than a virus!"

On the other hand, it wouldn't be Flyertalk without threads on unsubstantiated spekulashens!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
it wouldn't be Flyertalk without threads on unsubstantiated spekulashens!
I'm afraid for now, this is all we have to keep us going
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
OK - ill bite at the speculation - cuz thats all i got to do right now.....

319s - parked....returned to lessors as soon as possible - they were in bad shape before all this....so let someone else pick up the tab for reconfiguration
320a - fairly new; but still need to finish mods on the N2, N3 series fleets. I suspect these will continue post c19. N621VA - parked....returned to lessor as previously planned. N641VA - just got MX done....so perhaps fills in as needed.....the rest of the 320s - i see them being used post c19 and slowly returned to lessors per original agreements
321s - they will keep them fully....they love the operating costs on those birds - so i can see the non-ER 739s going first before the neos

Q400s - small outstation use will continue
E75s - I actually see these as a large advantage for trunk routes to operate in April with very low demand.....especially in the next couple of weeks.
738s - older ones to be replaced by maxes later in the year
739s - older ones to be replaced by maxes later in the year

Given models on this whole thing....the worst looks like in April....so if we start to see SIP orders or workplace rules to be loosened May 1 - we will start to see essential travel demand start to pick up more....June 1 start of the hard core leisure flyers to come back.....Im hoping these timelines are accurate and appropriate - if so - i think we will see demand really come back a little in June/July - not saying huge demand but better than the 5 pax per 738 they are flying now......there is a lot of pent up demand ready to come back if this is only a couple of months.....

funny i thought it was weird a couple years ago flying MCI-SAN on an E75 with 16/76 on board - i cant imagine a 5 pax on a 320 or 738!

stay safe and we will be back into the sky soon! take care of each other!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:42 pm

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. The days of "Proudly All Boeing" are not in the best interest of the airline after the corporate governance fiasco demonstrated by Boeing.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
♫The plane will take off, Tomorrow,
Bet your bottom dollar its a Boeing, Or its not
Just thinking about Tomorrow
Maybe its an Airbus or Embraer
Come what may

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'm flying tomorrow
On a plane, who knows the make

A Boeing, An Airbus, Embraer, who cares now
Just get me there safely, thanks.♫
GrayAnderson and navydevildoc like this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Probably "too soon" to say that "rumors are spreading faster than a virus!"

On the other hand, it wouldn't be Flyertalk without threads on unsubstantiated spekulashens!
well ya, it’s all fun since we’re As fans. If we knew what was going to happen, we wouldn’t have this thread!
rustykettel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.