Anyone been berated for flying?

Old Mar 26, 20, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Anyone been berated for flying?

Between Jan 12 and March 6, I have made six round trips due to my mother's sudden passing. Because everything was so chaotic last week, I rescheduled my trip back home to early April. I'm her Executor and I have a job to do that I can only do there, for various practical reasons.

Instead of flying back and forth, I've decided to take my cat and just go shelter in place (alone) for a few months in my family home while I start tackling what needs to be done. Sounds reasonable, right? Well, tonight a friend called and berated me for even thinking about flying during this time and that I'd be asking for Corona Virus if I did. I tried to react calmly and say I'm weighing all the options for how to get home, but he started yelling and swearing at me about how stupid and selfish I am, and that "paper work can wait." He doesn't understand the situation and the job I'm tasked with, and he demanded I tell him details, I told him that was personal and he hung up.

His abusive tone was clearly out of line, but are any of you having "loved ones" and friends implore you not to fly now? It's not a vacation, it's essential business I've been putting off anyway.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 20, 12:29 am

Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
Iím sorry to hear that and it seems out of line.

One could certainly make the case that standard sanitary measures at a near empty airport with a nearly empty plane is a lot safer than driving to a far away destination, where one would have to touch numerous surfaces (such as pumping gas). The airport and airplanes are highly sanitized places currently whereas I cannot say the same for any gas station which I have seen.

You're doing just fine. Keep exercising good judgement and carry on.
Bellerina likes this.

Last edited by damnyourefine; Mar 27, 20 at 12:34 am
Old Mar 27, 20, 12:43 am

Programs: AA, AGR, AS MVP, DL, Hertz GP, Marriot Bonvoy, TSA Pre✓, Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by flying_kittens View Post
Between Jan 12 and March 6, I have made six round trips due to my mother's sudden passing. Because everything was so chaotic last week, I rescheduled my trip back home to early April. I'm her Executor and I have a job to do that I can only do there, for various practical reasons.

Instead of flying back and forth, I've decided to take my cat and just go shelter in place (alone) for a few months in my family home while I start tackling what needs to be done. Sounds reasonable, right? Well, tonight a friend called and berated me for even thinking about flying during this time and that I'd be asking for Corona Virus if I did. I tried to react calmly and say I'm weighing all the options for how to get home, but he started yelling and swearing at me about how stupid and selfish I am, and that "paper work can wait." He doesn't understand the situation and the job I'm tasked with, and he demanded I tell him details, I told him that was personal and he hung up.

His abusive tone was clearly out of line, but are any of you having "loved ones" and friends implore you not to fly now? It's not a vacation, it's essential business I've been putting off anyway.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
I don't think there's any official list of "Reasons why it's OK to fly now" vs. "Reasons why it's not," but it's kind of like someone asking me, "What is art?" By that, I mean I can't define it, but I know it when I see it.

There's another member here who flew because their partner's housemate in another state was killed by a drunk driver. Absolutely valid reason to fly to comfort them, it seems to me.

Seems to me that your reason to fly is even more valid.

I've been in a similar situation to yours without the added stress of a global pandemic, but you are not just "doing paperwork." I don't know what's informing your friend's POV, of course, but I'm sorry to hear they said that.

AS's home page for a while has said, "Even in these uncertain times, you may need to travel." I think your reason for traveling is beyond any doubt valid.

Just one stranger's opinion, but I hope it helps.
flying_kittens likes this.
Old Mar 27, 20, 2:50 am

Programs: Alaska
Think in another way. At least he is an honest friend. Otherwise, it is easy for him to keep quiet and mind his own business.
Old Mar 27, 20, 2:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Concur- travel away, as long as its a necessary trip, the airlines are flying, and you're taking the necessary precautions. And it seems you have a fitting FT handle. Condolences, and best of luck with this. ^
Old Mar 27, 20, 5:45 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: This discussion is not related to Alaska, so this thread is closed and marked for move.

dayone, AS Moderator
owflyer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: