Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Risk of AS Bankruptcy and Liquidity for Ticket Refunds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Risk of AS Bankruptcy and Liquidity for Ticket Refunds

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by PDXMSPSEA
Their response to this looks to be VERY slow compared with DL/UA/AA. In a couple of weeks when they start saying that they cannot pay their employees, I hope people remember, that they choose to operate their full block for far far longer than any other US airline in some of the earliest worst hit cities. Does anyone really think that we need more than 1x SFOxSEA right now!
Exactly my concern. I do know they crew a lot of their CA flights out of SEA and need the SEA-CA flights to position the crew so much more difficult to outright cancel. I hope they figure this out sooner or later or else have to buy a lot of unnecessary cash.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
  • There is increasing talk in DC of a temporary total shutdown of domestic air traffic, which would shrink Alaska's fuel bills for awhile if no other costs.
Unless they already bought fuel, the fuel bills have already shrunk given crude oil is tanking
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Unless they already bought fuel, the fuel bills have already shrunk given crude oil is tanking
Unfortunately AS also made a very bad hedging bet with fuel according to their 10K filing.
50% contracted at $70/barrel for Q1
50% contracted at $67/barrel for Q2
40% contracted at $67/barrel for Q3
30% contracted at $65 for Q4

That has to hurt--flying around planes with an average load factor of 10% AND paying 2 to 3 times the current price of oil at the same time. What are they waiting for?
BearX220 and milypan like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Unfortunately AS also made a very bad hedging bet with fuel according to their 10K filing.

That has to hurt--flying around planes with an average load factor of 10% AND paying 2 to 3 times the current price of oil at the same time. What are they waiting for?

What has SWA locked into?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by beckoa
Flights look full ex-Hawaii tomorrow however.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...t-spread-virus
Wednesday is the last day to arrive before 14-day quarantine is imposed on all arrivals, currently through May 20. Feedback from locals - at least on the Big Island - is that visitors are being "encouraged" to leave.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
What has SWA locked into?
They don't include their exact prices as they have contracts at various prices but they are 59% hedged for 2020 and 54% in 2021. For the 1st quarter, they were expecting to pay a 5 cent premium per gallon due to their hedges with an assumption that oil would be at $2.05 to $2.15. March 23rd, jet fuel was 67 cents per gallon. Yikes. Thus, SWA is likely in just as bad a situation.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:21 pm

It will be bad but it might not be as bad as we all think. From the same 10-K.

We use crude oil call options as hedges against our exposure to the volatility of jet fuel prices. Call options effectively cap our price for crude oil, limiting our exposure to increasing fuel prices for about half of our planned fuel consumption. With call options, we are hedged against spikes in crude oil prices, and during a period of declines in crude oil prices, we only forfeit cash previously paid for hedge premiums. We begin hedging approximately 18 months in advance of consumption

So if I understand correctly if the price is lower than the hedge AS only forfeits the cash they paid for the premium. Still will be bad especially with the reduced flying but not as bad as it could be.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by SNAnghbr
So if I understand correctly if the price is lower than the hedge AS only forfeits the cash they paid for the premium. Still will be bad especially with the reduced flying but not as bad as it could be.
Yes, if you do options it is different than futures, and you pay a premium/fee for the option but don't have to exercise it (futures you have to).
The main question is whether they already paid the premium or not. And for how long? 18 months means they hedged into late 2021?
milypan likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:34 pm

Yes, if you do options it is different than futures, and you pay a premium/fee for the option but don't have to exercise it (futures you have to).
The main question is whether they already paid the premium or not. And for how long? 18 months means they hedged into late 2021?
According to publicly available disclosures at the close of 2019, they had contracts in place through the 2nd quarter 2021 so there will be significant losses.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:37 pm

According to publicly available disclosures at the close of 2019, they had contracts in place through the 2nd quarter 2021 so there will be significant losses.
At least they didn't buy their own refinery?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:41 pm

At least they didn't buy their own refinery?
LOL...or equity stakes in a bunch of nearly bankrupt airlines all over the world.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:47 pm

Contracts are in place thru 2nd quarter 2021. 20% in q1 2021 and 10% in q2 2021.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that there is zero risk of inability to pay refunds if one pays with a credit card. Not debit cards, not anything else.

The rest of who requires a bailout and for how much is pure speculation and AS is the tail wagging the dog.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Personally I have zero concern with AS or any other legacy USA airline. Most of the airlines went through Chapter 11 bankruptcy process at some point after 9/11 - they all honored ticket obligations to customers (including refunds) and FF mileage obligations (the only profitable part of the operation for some). All of them are in the same boat during the current crisis, so I expect that any bailout will cover all of them as nobody in Congress wants their constituents to be slammed by an airline liquidation (including the Senators from Alaska and Washington states).

Yes, there have been Chapter 7 airline liquidations - Braniff, TWA, PanAm, National etc. but these were all one-offs following a gradual deterioration of financial condition, not the result of an unexpected sudden event that negatively affected the entire industry.

That said I would always use a credit card to buy a ticket (why would you not unless you are a narcotrafficker or a terrorist) which comes with certain protections.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Personally I have zero concern with AS or any other legacy USA airline. Most of the airlines went through Chapter 11 bankruptcy process at some point after 9/11 - they all honored ticket obligations to customers (including refunds) and FF mileage obligations (the only profitable part of the operation for some). All of them are in the same boat during the current crisis, so I expect that any bailout will cover all of them as nobody in Congress wants their constituents to be slammed by an airline liquidation (including the Senators from Alaska and Washington states).

Yes, there have been Chapter 7 airline liquidations - Braniff, TWA, PanAm, National etc. but these were all one-offs following a gradual deterioration of financial condition, not the result of an unexpected sudden event that negatively affected the entire industry.

That said I would always use a credit card to buy a ticket (why would you not unless you are a narcotrafficker or a terrorist) which comes with certain protections.
All my tickets are purchased with the Alaska visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.