Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Seattle to Vancouver, Canada Flight still operating?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I thought the US-Canadian border is closed for air travel.

Is Alaska Airlines still operating from Seattle to Vancouver, Canada?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVP
They cut some frequencies but this morning's 8am/945am still operated.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
The border is not completely closed. It is open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents, temporary residents on work visas/permits and student visas, "essential traffic" (including cross-border commuters). "Non-essential" travel is basically tourism and recreation, as far as I understand, although I don't think it's clearly defined. Alaskaair.com links to the restrictions on travel to Canada (and Costa Rica and Mexico) from the top of the main page.

In addition to YVR flights, both YLW flights are operating today. I haven't checked the other Canadian cities AS serves.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:21 pm

Is a US Citizen allowed to do SEA-YVR-HND or SEA-YVR-SomeOtherCountry? Assuming this is on the same ticket, and the USCitizen is not barred from entering SomeOtherCountry?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
In addition to YVR flights, both YLW flights are operating today. I haven't checked the other Canadian cities AS serves.
I am returning to YLW on 4/2. The second daily flight was cancelled on that date. I did receive a cancellation email and rescheduled to the earlier flight which means I have to leave LAX 5h 45m earlier (6:00 am departure) to make the connection.

On YLW-SEA March 16th, there were 16 pax southbound.

James
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Is a US Citizen allowed to do SEA-YVR-HND or SEA-YVR-SomeOtherCountry? Assuming this is on the same ticket, and the USCitizen is not barred from entering SomeOtherCountry?
Yes, at least international-to-international connecting traffic was one of the exceptions in Canada's original border closure. I don't know if that's changed.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I flew back Friday and spoke to the customs agent. The border will remain "OPEN" to select travelers. No limits on US Citizens or perm residents. Canadians still allowed with proper documentation.... at least this was YVR PreClearance.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I flew back Friday and spoke to the customs agent. The border will remain "OPEN" to select travelers. No limits on US Citizens or perm residents. Canadians still allowed with proper documentation.... at least this was YVR PreClearance.
Thanks for sharing your recent experience
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
That's entering the US, not entering Canada, right? Obviously different rules in the two directions.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:52 am

That's entering the US, not entering Canada, right? Obviously different rules in the two directions.
Yes, there are different rules for the destination countries.

As of 22/03/2020 Americans & other Nationals who have been in the USA for 14 days or longer can travel to Canada via air but will be subject to the Federally Mandated 14-day self-quarentine order.

As of 17/03/2020 Canadians can travel to the United States. Canada is not listed as an excluded country. Since self-quarentine or Shelter in Place orders are sometimes at the State, City or Region level it would depend on your destination. What is not clear is if a passenger is able to transit a State, City or Region to their final destination in the United States if the point of entry has such orders in place.

IATA.org is an excellent source for up to date information on travel bans and restrictions by Country. You can read up on all the restrictions and exceptions through this link.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

James
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Like many issues, this is misreported in the media.

1. The US-Canada border is not closed.
2. There are no prohibitions on mode of transport, e.g. air.

Both the US and Canada have vastly restricted who may enter. Thus, make certain that you are admissible even if your flight operates. In addition, quarantine restrictions exist for some.

Last, things change on a dime.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

Both the US and Canada have vastly restricted who may enter. Thus, make certain that you are admissible even if your flight operates. In addition, quarantine restrictions exist for some.

Last, things change on a dime.
Can you please expound on your 2 points? While the US Canada Land Border remains open for essential travel & for goods and essential services it is not open for leisure travelers; there is a prohibition on entering one country from the other via a vehicular or pedestrian mode. ie, you cannot freely move between the two countries unless you have an exception. Vehicular and pedestrian traffic is down significantly with crossings more leisure in nature reporting 90% declines. (USA bound data)

Passengers arriving by air are a small percentage of people who cross the Land Borders between the two countries so "closing" the Land Border to leisure travelers makes sense.

Lastly, I agree that things can change on a dime and a dime can be change too.

James
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

"Closed" is the word used by the government in announcing the new rules, so it's not just misreporting in the media.

Effective midnight (not clear which time zone, not that it matters much) tonight, quarantine is mandatory for all (no longer some, clarifying that it has never been just a suggestion, and taking contact information at the border to enable enforcement) foreign travellers (including citizens) entering Canada. So as you say, things change on a dime!

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Can you please expound on your 2 points? While the US Canada Land Border remains open for essential travel & for goods and essential services it is not open for leisure travelers; there is a prohibition on entering one country from the other via a vehicular or pedestrian mode. ie, you cannot freely move between the two countries unless you have an exception. Vehicular and pedestrian traffic is down significantly with crossings more leisure in nature reporting 90% declines. (USA bound data)

Passengers arriving by air are a small percentage of people who cross the Land Borders between the two countries so "closing" the Land Border to leisure travelers makes sense.
The rules are the same for air travel and land travel. "Closed" versus "restricted" is a matter of semantics, really. Both countries continue to allow their own citizens and permanent residents to enter (as they must), though Canada prohibits those with symptoms (even citizens) from boarding a plane to Canada (up to airlines to enforce), and Canada prohibits non-citizens (now including US citizens who aren't also Canadian, as I understand it) from entering for leisure or recreation.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
"Closed" is the word used by the government in announcing the new rules, so it's not just misreporting in the media.

Effective midnight (not clear which time zone, not that it matters much) tonight, quarantine is mandatory for all (no longer some, clarifying that it has never been just a suggestion, and taking contact information at the border to enable enforcement) foreign travellers (including citizens) entering Canada. So as you say, things change on a dime!

The rules are the same for air travel and land travel. "Closed" versus "restricted" is a matter of semantics, really. Both countries continue to allow their own citizens and permanent residents to enter (as they must), though Canada prohibits those with symptoms (even citizens) from boarding a plane to Canada (up to airlines to enforce), and Canada prohibits non-citizens (now including US citizens who aren't also Canadian, as I understand it) from entering for leisure or recreation.
The Canadian government has generally used the word restricted. The press has generally used the word closed.

If you live in one country and work in the other your allowed to cross. Canada will permit transit to third countries. Entry that are considered essential is permitted. Essential has a very broad definition that includes energy, transpiration, government, food, medical, construction and the supply chain of goods and services used by those industries.

They want to stop tourists traffic and cross boarder shoppers.

Info on the quarantine requirement is here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...-advice.html#f

Ar Canada has already locked in its new schedule until the end of next month. It includes YVR-SEA. AS has announced cuts but not specific routes.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
AS cut SEA-YYC to one flight daily. Outbound leaves at 10:35am, return leaves 1:55pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.