FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS Cancellation Options (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2014001-cancellation-options.html)

modesto2 Mar 22, 2020 9:53 pm

AS Cancellation Options

As part of the COVID-19 travel waivers, I need to cancel an upcoming trip, but can someone please explain this part of the waiver to me?

Cancel your trip without a fee and deposit the funds into My Account wallet or receive a credit certificate for future travel.

What's the difference between depositing the funds and receiving a credit certificate? I'm a member of AS' frequent flyer program but don't have any significant status. Is there a recommended option?

_fx Mar 22, 2020 9:58 pm

There are some nuances for niche scenarios, but for your case (and most others), depositing funds to your wallet is the best choice.

The email gift card is handy if you want to gift the funds to someone else.

Saving the ticket value is useful if you have a companion fare.

Ukalady Mar 23, 2020 10:50 am

I’m still not clear which of these two options is “saving the ticket options”? I do have a companion fare linked to a ticket. Is emailing the ticket what I want or applying to MyWallet? And do I do the same with both tickets (the regular fare as well as the Companion) or just the companion?

I’m still waiting a bit and hoping they cancel the flight (how will I know if it’s cancelled?) so I can get the money back, though...

_fx Mar 23, 2020 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Ukalady (Post 32222706)
I’m still not clear which of these two options is “saving the ticket options”? I do have a companion fare linked to a ticket. Is emailing the ticket what I want or applying to MyWallet? And do I do the same with both tickets (the regular fare as well as the Companion) or just the companion?

I’m still waiting a bit and hoping they cancel the flight (how will I know if it’s cancelled?) so I can get the money back, though...

There should be a third option on the cancel screen: "Send the canceled ticket to my email and exchange for travel later. Change fee may be due at rebooking."

Often1 Mar 23, 2020 11:26 am

Not to go too far OT, but unless "upcoming" means in the next day or two, you should hold off. AS may cancel or, as part of consolidating frequencies, may substantially change the departure time. In that case, you are due a full refund if you wish.

thehimalayas Mar 25, 2020 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32222829)
Not to go too far OT, but unless "upcoming" means in the next day or two, you should hold off. AS may cancel or, as part of consolidating frequencies, may substantially change the departure time. In that case, you are due a full refund if you wish.

What kind of departure time change is considered "substantial"? 2 hours?