Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Lounge Visit 3/20 - Sea N **New** protocol

Old Mar 21, 20, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver

Greetings,

Wanted to share photos and experience from my quick trip to the N Lounge in SEA on a layover while repatriating from Canada back to the US.

- No more finger print entry (removed earlier this month)
- No more self serve almost anything
- Food is prepackaged (btw, those Sweet & Savory Caramel cookies are BEYOND amazing). Noticed a bit more baked goods in the cookie area on N. Salads are now prepared "to go", and Lounge attendant encouraged it. Had a significantly better spread than the snack basket in F
- no more self serve beverages - but the bar is still open
- no more pancake machine
- no soups

cookies, chips, granola bars, pretzels to go

salads with or without chicken, cold cans of soda, carrots, ranch dressing, oj

Freestyle coke machine no more.. I miss my Pibb!

no more self serve coffee
pcoll likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Thanks for sharing!
pcoll and UAPremierExec like this.
Old Mar 22, 20, 8:48 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
No more pancake machine!??!!
I'm out.
PlowJockey likes this.
Old Mar 22, 20, 11:30 am

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Legend717 View Post
No more pancake machine!??!!
I'm out.
Since this is such a signature feature of the Alaska Lounge, I would suggest they put it in the back somewhere and just add it to the list of food you can pay for only make it free of course.
Old Mar 22, 20, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS (MVP Gold), WN (A-List), DL, UA, F9
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
Since this is such a signature feature of the Alaska Lounge, I would suggest they put it in the back somewhere and just add it to the list of food you can pay for only make it free of course.
Or at least have on the back counter of the food bar so that only the attendant can press the "bake button" for you? And then serve it on single-use plate with single-use silverware and pre-packaged toppings (butter, syrup, etc)?
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Mar 22, 20, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL 1.8MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Now that AS is not serving Meals or Cocktails in the First Class Cabin, I might be tempted to take a salad to go for the flight.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Mar 22, 20, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Salads look ok? Try any of them? We need reviews, especially if we're not traveling
rustykettel likes this.
Old Mar 23, 20, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Salads look ok? Try any of them? We need reviews, especially if we're not traveling
I took one to go on Sea-Jnu and got dirty looks from everyone after I pulled it out.

Its the exact same salad setup just in a bowl, and the oranges & hard noodles are in small cups.
PacNWFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:41 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Maybe when this is all said and done there will be some new options in the lounge. That salad looks good and those cookies sound good too.

Pre-COVID 19, my biggest complaint with the lounge food is it's a free for all. I've seen people pick up cookies with their hands or place the tongs on top of the entire pile of cookies. Heck even the QF F lounge in MEL had too many shared utensils for my taste, although the amount of champagne I had during the five hour delay probably helped sanitize everything.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:41 am

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Dirty looks or envious ones? For anyone who may still be out there in the network and is traveling in F or has an AL membership, I'd be doing the same right before I stopped at Starbucks or wherever for a big cup of ice.
Old Mar 23, 20, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
Dirty looks or envious ones? For anyone who may still be out there in the network and is traveling in F or has an AL membership, I'd be doing the same right before I stopped at Starbucks or wherever for a big cup of ice.
SEA C Lounge last night was more than happy to give me a glass of ice to go. I brought a thermos and filled it with coffee there too. The Asian Chicken salad was excellent as was the Beechers Flagship Cheese in individually packaged portions.

James
Old Mar 23, 20, 11:39 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec View Post
I took one to go on Sea-Jnu and got dirty looks from everyone after I pulled it out.

Its the exact same salad setup just in a bowl, and the oranges & hard noodles are in small cups.
Looks tasty and health, not sure how this is any better than a FA with good habits working with standard delivery with good habits.

I guess a little lower visible risk by simply hiding where the risk is. How about the hourly people who prepared and package the stuff, they got no sick leave and likely living paycheck to paycheck. Oh well the risk always starts somewhere and always ends with us. I don't dispute the same issue with my shopping and cooking at home, but travel is simply more risky.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 23, 20, 4:12 pm

Yes, get rid of self-serve so there is more interaction with lounge staff.
Old Mar 24, 20, 8:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by glob99 View Post
Yes, get rid of self-serve so there is more interaction with lounge staff.
Would you rather have more interaction with professionals who are washing their hands, using gloves where possible, and avoiding work when sick; or more interaction with the general population?
Old Mar 24, 20, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nearlysober View Post
Would you rather have more interaction with professionals who are washing their hands, using gloves where possible, and avoiding work when sick; or more interaction with the general population?
It depends....under which scenario would the pancake machine be turned back on?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: