Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you book for Feb 2021?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Would you book for Feb 2021?

We travel over President's day and I generally buy tickets as soon as possible. It might work where the window will make them refundable, but I'm still having a little pause on floating that cash and dealing with AS on the phone.

No status. Travel would be on high demand dates / routes.

Would you buy that far out?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
We travel over President's day and I generally buy tickets as soon as possible. It might work where the window will make them refundable, but I'm still having a little pause on floating that cash and dealing with AS on the phone.

No status. Travel would be on high demand dates / routes.

Would you buy that far out?
I wouldn’t buy that far out even if there wasn’t a global pandemic.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:39 pm

No, don't book that far out. Set up some price alerts with Google flights and check back in 4 or 5 months if nothing has changed.
milypan likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
There is the ticket waiver for flights booked that far out.

I'd consider it for sure...
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:06 pm

Yes, I already booked with Delta on president's weekend outbound flight (with miles, only 20k delta miles business class oneway to carribean). Have setup alerts for return flight also in a couple days

The only thing I keep in mind is that I book heavily trafficked routes, because schedule changes will definitely happen - if you're booking say SEA-LAX then no big worries because there's always the next flight to take even if schedule changes.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Yes - if my trip is more or less finalized, I have no qualms of booking this far out. In fact, already have 2 trips booked from JFK-BOM in VS in J for January 2021. Got reasonable deals.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:51 pm

Just to clarify, my recommendation not to book now was specific to your question regarding AS. Typically speaking, you are not going to get AS' best price this far out. Yes, you could change the ticket under the current policy, but you will not get a refund, only a credit. That may or may not matter to you.

Several people have chimed in about how you should book now and have referenced that they have done so with other carriers. I don't see the relevance of that to your question.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why would you want to lay out cash this far in advance when the best you do if the price drops is a funny money credit? I suppose if its an amazing deal and not much of a hit to you, it doesn't really matter. But, if it's a real spend, you are drawing down cash for no reason.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
There is a nonzero chance that AS files for bankruptcy and then we'd all be SOL.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Yes-I'm booking 2 award seats for early Feb. 2021 because I have my condo dates set. Award prices will not go done, in my experience.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If it is for cash absolutely not. This mess is only starting. The credit if you need to cancel would only be valid one year from the date of purchase which narrows your window for rebooking greatly. It makes absolutely no sense to lay out cash you may never see again given the current circumstances. If it is an award and you have no other use for the miles go ahead. The miles may be worthless by then anyway so nothing to lose on that front.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
As many said above, for revenue tickets, I'll wait. For awards, pull the trigger as soon as you find availability.
friedablass likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
There is a nonzero chance that AS files for bankruptcy and then we'd all be SOL.
It will likely be Chapter 11 (reorganization) which means existing tickets will still be honored. In the unlikely event is Chapter 7 (liquidation), you are still protected if you pay by credit card. The credit card companies are aware they are on the hook, as they have covenants with the airlines to have so much cash on hand in order to protect themselves. They will not accept future flight bookings if the airlines fall below these thresholds.
BearX220 and sdsearch like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 20, 2020 at 5:57 am
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by xliioper
It will likely be Chapter 11 (reorganization) which means existing tickets will still be honored. In the unlikely event is Chapter 7 (liquidation), you are still protected if you pay by credit card. The credit card companies are aware they are on the hook, as they have covenants with the airlines to have so much cash on hand in order to protect themselves. They will not accept future flight bookings if the airlines fall below these thresholds.
Which again points to waiting. Credit card companies could up cash requirements and existing ticket holders would join the line of creditors if the airline gets into trouble as a result. There are no guarantees. At the moment, the airlines can’t even get a person to book a ticket for today —it is highly unlikely that there will be a rush on tickets for next year right now.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Risk : reward ration seems very unfavorable to a +11 month booking, considering the current environment's effects on aviation. Policies and niceties extended now may be reversed, so I would not bank on them being honored later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.