Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

cancelling due to COVID19: wallet funds, certificate, or wait for possible refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cancelling due to COVID19: wallet funds, certificate, or wait for possible refund?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:42 am
Original Poster

my family has (had) a trip booked through costco from california to hawaii in early april, flying alaska. as of today, costco is offering full refunds of the non-airline portion of the booking, but directing everyone to contact airlines directly for the flight portion.

also as of today, alaska's COVID19 policy is as follows:
  • Change your trip without a fee. New travel must be completed by February 28, 2021. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary. (applies to saver fares only)
  • Cancel your trip without a fee and deposit the funds into My Account wallet or receive a credit certificate for future travel. (applies to everything, including saver fares)
while i would expect flights booked through costco are likely "saver" fares, i don't have any fixed plans so i don't view changing my trip to be a viable option. plus, i don't see any benefit to changing the trip if i can get credit for the full amount to use later.

but my big questions are:
  • is there any advantage to taking the "my account wallet" option over a "credit certificate"?
  • is it realistic/plausible to wait and see whether alaska changes their policy further to allow refunds (as opposed to travel credits)?
  • are there other options i'm missing or not aware of?
thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:03 pm

Can't find any information on whether I would get my Alaska companion pass back if I cancel/change a flight already booked for June. In normal times, you would not get it back. Any info or DPs out there?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wwtraveler1286
Can't find any information on whether I would get my Alaska companion pass back if I cancel/change a flight already booked for June. In normal times, you would not get it back. Any info or DPs out there?
AS has already stated that Companion Certificates will be reissued if they haven't already expired. In other words, if you used a CC in December that was about to expire for your June flights, it will not be reissued. (ie Extended) However, if the CC is still valid beyond the cancel date, AS will reissue you a new CC with the original expiry date. Alternatively, you could just change your existing reservation including routing if dates are known.

See my Post here.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Mar 18, 2020 at 3:22 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
For OP, credit vouchers and wallet has same value and expiration dates. Personally, I would prefer the amount in wallet as your credit stays in your frequent flyer account and less likeliness of loss if misplacement or accidentally deleted. The convenience of wallet funds is that you can use them when you are at its website to booking at Alaskaair.com. You will be prompted to using the wallet funds prior to completing the transaction. The extra reminder step help you in the booking process with no ticket. Umber to dig up. You will likely not be able to use these credits at Costco travel for either option however.

Jiburi
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:29 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by crabbing
my family has (had) a trip booked through costco from california to hawaii in early april, flying alaska. as of today, costco is offering full refunds of the non-airline portion of the booking, but directing everyone to contact airlines directly for the flight portion.

also as of today, alaska's COVID19 policy is as follows:

while i would expect flights booked through costco are likely "saver" fares, i don't have any fixed plans so i don't view changing my trip to be a viable option. plus, i don't see any benefit to changing the trip if i can get credit for the full amount to use later.

but my big questions are:
  • is there any advantage to taking the "my account wallet" option over a "credit certificate"?
  • is it realistic/plausible to wait and see whether alaska changes their policy further to allow refunds (as opposed to travel credits)?
  • are there other options i'm missing or not aware of?
thanks!
You can wait until closer to the departure date to see if Alaska actually cancels your flight. If so, you can get a refund. Otherwise, its a travel credit.

I would defer to My Wallet just so I don't have to keep track of the email and PIN until I'm ready to use it. Also, the Wallet tracks the fund expiration dates in one place, which is nice if you have lots of wallet transactions

This may have been user error - but I have found that you can't combine credit certificate funds with my wallet funds.
You can use multiple credit certificates for a purchase
Your wallet funds combine automatically
But using both at the same time didn't work for me. YMMV
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jiburi
The convenience of wallet funds is that you can use them when you are at its website to booking at Alaskaair.com. You will be prompted to using the wallet funds prior to completing the transaction.
I agree with using Wallet for simplicity sake and did just that.

One question: is there a way to only use partial wallet funds (and apply credit card payment for rest) if the wallet funds exceed the ticket price? If you can’t, that would then eliminate the credit card insurance benefit of CSR and Amex Plat, and I have built up quite a chunk of wallet credit...
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
If you don't have enough in your wallet to cover the whole cost, then you'll be asked for a credit card to cover the rest. So no worries there
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin
You can wait until closer to the departure date to see if Alaska actually cancels your flight. If so, you can get a refund. Otherwise, its a travel credit.
thanks for the tip! i did check and my flight is still on their schedule, but i have to wait and see whether that changes.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

One question: is there a way to only use partial wallet funds (and apply credit card payment for rest) if the wallet funds exceed the ticket price? If you can’t, that would then eliminate the credit card insurance benefit of CSR and Amex Plat, and I have built up quite a chunk of wallet credit...
A work around for amex plat, if you book the outbound or inbound with wallet funds, you can charge the other leg of the journey as a one-way to your amex plat and you will still get coverage. The rules indicate that the RT travel must be paid with the Amex Plat in combination with any vouchers or certificates or points.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Can one book a cheaper flight with mywallet funds then change the flight to a more expensive one, using the preferred CC for the addcollect? Not sure if it'll satisfy the T&C of the insurance benefits however.

Last edited by beckoa; Mar 23, 2020 at 5:45 pm Reason: fix quote
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by beckoa
Can one book a cheaper flight with mywallet funds then change the flight to a more expensive one, using the preferred CC for the addcollect? Not sure if it'll satisfy the T&C of the insurance benefits however.
Not sure, but your suggestion gave me another idea: book a cheaper placeholder flight to temporarily consume part of the wallet, then book the real flight with partial wallet and credit card payment, and subsequently use 24 hour free cancellation to be rid of placeholder flight and put money back into wallet. Technically presumably a violation of the T&C/CoC (bookings flight one doesn’t intend to take).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.