Wiki Posts
Search

MVP companion upgrade at gate?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
MVP companion upgrade at gate?

Hi. Has had anyone had a gate agent allow an MVP companion to accompany an upgraded MVP, either to prem (or even F)? Looking at some really wide-open flights to Mexico. Interested to learn if anyone has had a agent do a comp upgrade, at least to premium, for the companion of an MVP. Recognize upgrade to F would likely require the usual $ amount, but maybe at least to prem if there the load is 10-20%?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I don't think anyone has enough current experience to know the answer. No one is used to traveling with a 20% load.

Personally I wouldn't be going to Mexico right now.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
... Personally I wouldn't be going to Mexico pretty much anywhere right now.
fixed that for you ...
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Hi. Has had anyone had a gate agent allow an MVP companion to accompany an upgraded MVP, either to prem (or even F)? Looking at some really wide-open flights to Mexico. Interested to learn if anyone has had a agent do a comp upgrade, at least to premium, for the companion of an MVP. Recognize upgrade to F would likely require the usual $ amount, but maybe at least to prem if there the load is 10-20%?
Theres no “complimentary” upgrade for MVP companions. You’re asking for a freebie, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. Some employees are accommodating and some follow the rules.

Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:41 pm

If you want policy, the answer is "no".

If you want anecdote, "I'm an MVP, the friend I'm travelling with isn't, any way to get both of us into First?" has a 100% success rate for me in the last week. (...out of a sample size of one.) I was fully expecting to be asked to pony up $200 or 15k miles but she asked if I was Gold (not this year) and hmmed a bit and typed some and then said yes.

Even with decent loads and more normal circumstances, if there are multiple U seats hanging around it's worth asking nicely.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by glitchy
If you want policy, the answer is "no".

If you want anecdote, "I'm an MVP, the friend I'm travelling with isn't, any way to get both of us into First?" has a 100% success rate for me in the last week. (...out of a sample size of one.) I was fully expecting to be asked to pony up $200 or 15k miles but she asked if I was Gold (not this year) and hmmed a bit and typed some and then said yes.

Even with decent loads and more normal circumstances, if there are multiple U seats hanging around it's worth asking nicely.
Polite behavior tends to be rewarded, but why people feel entitled to handouts is beyond me. If you want that benefit, earn it by being Gold / 75K or paying the upgrade fee.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
It doesn't hurt to ask. I have a friend MVP, who was traveling with another friend, who didn't have status, on two different reservations. This was 6 months ago BTW.
SEA-SLC, MVP was upgraded at window. a couple of hours before flight, half of F was empty, no one on upgrade list. I told my friend to go ask the gate agent, if his non status friend could fly with him in first.
He said, the agent said, "let me look...." after 15 secs of typing. His friend was upgraded gratis
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Polite behavior tends to be rewarded, but why people feel entitled to handouts is beyond me. If you want that benefit, earn it by being Gold / 75K or paying the upgrade fee.
Neither the OP nor anyone else in this thread has said anything about being entitled to a handout.
lensovet likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I never had any luck when flying with a companion on PAE-PDX flights when loads were ~30%. Obviously the underlying circumstances for the light loads were much different. Whether that matters or not is unknown.

I'd just politely ask, "Is there anything I can do to get an upgrade for my companion?"
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Sandonkey
Neither the OP nor anyone else in this thread has said anything about being entitled to a handout.
Expecting an upgrade not paid for or a benefit not earned (due to status) for free... handout.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Expecting a benefit not earned for free... handout.
Odd, I don't see a single example of an expectation in any of these responses. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
lensovet likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Odd, I don't see a single example of an expectation in any of these responses. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
People are asking ‘can I do this action with any chance of success‘. Expecting isn’t strictly a guaranteed endeavor.

I am willing to venture that if this behavior denied them an upgrade or some other benefit the logic would change to it being unfair.

Carry on!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
People are asking ‘can I do this action with any chance of success‘. Expecting isn’t strictly a guaranteed endeavor.

I am willing to venture that if this behavior denied them an upgrade or some other benefit the logic would change to it being unfair.

Carry on!
I agree, it's definitely not. By definition it's a strong belief that something will happen or be the case in the future. Still don't see a single example of that.

Carrying on, because you're wrong.

Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I agree, it's definitely not. By definition it's a strong belief that something will happen or be the case in the future. Still don't see a single example of that.

Carrying on, because you're wrong.

If you want to look at either definition, sure.

'A strong belief that something will happen' or that 'something can occur'. If a flyer knows there is an X% chance that they can obtain a free upgrade for their companion (reports in the thread are favorable on the odds) and the downside to asking is negligible, you could say that is a strong belief given the benefit is high and the risk is low.

Just because you don't agree with what people have written doesn't make it true. It makes it your opinion.

I stand by my statement. Hoping that you can obtain a free upgrade or a benefit not available for your elite status with any chance of success is expecting a handout. The expectation is that it might work. Expectation isn't necessarily a guarantee. You should consider things in context. Let's look at what OP has said:

1) Has a trip and knows the policy. Knows the companion isn't entitled to an upgrade and an upgrade has a cost.
2) Wants data points on if it is possible to get it for free

It isn't difficult to deduce that OP wants to receive a benefit for which he or she isn't entitled. And.. a quick call to Customer Care reveals that yes the upgrade process sometimes will upgrade MVP's traveling with non-status companions and that gate agents sometimes do upgrade MVP's traveling with non-status companions. When asked if gate agents were authorized to do so, CC stated no. OP expects Alaska to honor benefits granted through the FF program for his tier, but at the same time is looking to exploit the possibility of a free upgrade which is the benefit of the next tier. A bit ironic.

One of the benefits is being in the FC cabin is the privacy and increased personal space. Passengers can either pay to be in those seats, or earn the upgrade via elite status. People expecting, seeking, hoping (choose your own word) to get seated there without providing recompense is a different matter entirely, but an interesting one indeed. If you want something shouldn't you pay for it? If not, is that not 'entitlement' or 'freeloading' (choose your own non-loaded word)?

Last edited by anteater; Mar 19, 2020 at 3:13 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
OP here. Was careful in my wording and just asking if anyone had experienced this situation. The word “expectation” can, to some people, incorporate “entitlement,” which is not at all what I was “expecting”. Based on the folks that asked, nicely I expect, AS appears to allow their gate agents some leeway and so I expect that it’s at least worthwhile to ask, but at the same time, I recognize there’s zero entitlement to the upgrade.

At some airlines, I’m looking at you most Asian and European carriers, the thought of a waiver-and-favor is a fantasy. At US and some Australasian carriers, agents are a bit more forgiving and willing to bend the rules to provide good customer service, especially in a bid to maintain loyalty during trying times.

Use of the loaded word “expectation” does not apply to my query. I was just asking for data points.
anteater, jjmadison and lensovet like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.