Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines agent at SFO tests positive for coronavirus

Alaska Airlines agent at SFO tests positive for coronavirus

Old Mar 14, 20, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Alaska Airlines agent at SFO tests positive for coronavirus

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) — An Alaska Airlines agent at the San Francisco International Airport has tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The employee left work sick on Tuesday, March 10 and learned Friday that they tested positive.
https://www.kron4.com/news/alaska-ai...r-coronavirus/

With 77 San Jose firefighters quarantined, along with 42 TSA officers at SJC, was just a matter of time until a Bay Area airline was impacted. An unknown number of employees have been asked to self quarantine. Alaska stated they don't believe any customers are at risk.
Old Mar 14, 20, 8:10 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Alaska stated they don't believe any customers are at risk.
Hopefully true. But realistically, what else are they going to say?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Alaska stated they don't believe any customers are at risk.

"Don't believe" is an easy out... ​​​​​​ only certainty is Alaska cannot know with any certainty. I feel for all of the GAs and FAs right now... must be worrisome to still be on the job.
tusphotog and notquiteaff like this.

Last edited by jjmadison; Mar 15, 20 at 7:45 am
Old Mar 14, 20, 10:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MileagePlan MVP
Hmmm... I flew through SFO on the 7th.
Old Mar 15, 20, 12:06 am

Programs: AS MVP, SK, UR, MR
Several new studies mentioned in today’s news indicate that “infected people without symptoms might be driving the spread of coronavirus more than we realized.” What do airline agents and TSA officers do then?
Old Mar 15, 20, 1:33 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
“Seattle is terrified an employee is going to catch this and either infect everyone or sue the airline saying they didn’t take adequate precautions.” This was a direct quote from a friend of mine in Portland a few weeks ago.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 20, 1:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Alaska MVP, TAP Gold
We donít need a thread every time someone gets sick.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 20, 3:30 am

Programs: Many, but currently grounded.
Well I flew through AS via SFO yesterday. Scary!
Old Mar 15, 20, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX View Post
If you're not happy with the thread I started, please feel free to alert a moderator.
Old Mar 15, 20, 7:58 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX View Post
You can always ignore a thread that you donít want to read.
Old Mar 15, 20, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
What would you do if you found out one of the Gate Agents had the flu and went home? Would we all panic out of our minds? I hope not because there have been over 10 million people catch the flu this year according to what I read, and about 20,000 people die in the US alone. From what I understand, the flu is more contagious which is why they don't even both to quarantine people. The vast majority of people who have died from COVID-19 are those who are elderly or high risk due to a health reason. We should use an abundance of caution and common sense, but let's not panic.
Ever heard of H1N1, the "swine flu", that hit about 10 years ago. Did we all panic then? Even though 60 million Americans got infected and over 20,000 died.
Finally, if we want to know a likely outcome that follows "Farrs Law", look no further than China which is quickly returning to normal.
Old Mar 15, 20, 3:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
It's unlikely that infection can be legally proved to a specific person. There are tons of untested people out there feeling fine who are apparently carriers are well. I am sure someone can sue, but to affirmatively trace it like this is just not likely.

Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
ďSeattle is terrified an employee is going to catch this and either infect everyone or sue the airline saying they didnít take adequate precautions.Ē This was a direct quote from a friend of mine in Portland a few weeks ago.
Old Mar 15, 20, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
ďSeattle is terrified an employee is going to catch this and either infect everyone or sue the airline saying they didnít take adequate precautions.Ē This was a direct quote from a friend of mine in Portland a few weeks ago.
yeah, I have no idea what conversations are going at the highest levels but I seriously doubt that the first concern is whether they're going to be sued. Alaska started taking actions before other airlines did - to me, it very much feels like management is focused on ensuring the employees and customers are safe first, then focusing on keeping the airline solvent during these crazy times. Nobody in Portland knows anything more than any other employee.
Old Mar 16, 20, 2:17 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
yeah, I have no idea what conversations are going at the highest levels but I seriously doubt that the first concern is whether they're going to be sued. Alaska started taking actions before other airlines did - to me, it very much feels like management is focused on ensuring the employees and customers are safe first, then focusing on keeping the airline solvent during these crazy times. Nobody in Portland knows anything more than any other employee.
Not saying they do, and I know they don’t have an inside line to SEAHQ, but given where we were two weeks ago, it wasn’t a far off thought. Especially since I was through there when the first set of changes hit. Perhaps said a little tongue in cheek, but still you can’t blame someone for being a bit cynical.

I think Alaska has done a tremendous job communicating with their customers and employees about how they’re trying to keep everyone safe. Hopefully this isn’t a prolonged downturn in business. Stay safe out there! I’d much rather be flying to PDX in five hours instead of sitting at home.
AS Flyer and jjmadison like this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL KM, B6 Faux-saic, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
I was in SFO that day (the 10th). I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, and it certainly didn't appear that any of the agents working my flight were not feeling well. Wishing them a speedy recovery.

-J.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: