Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Schedule Reductions Due to COVID-19 (April 2020)

Old Mar 11, 20, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, NZ Silver

No details about which and what routes yet https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...o-cut-flights/
Old Mar 11, 20, 2:53 pm

I wouldn't want to own AS stock right now. Already the first Seattle cruises are cancelled for this spring. They are going to have to dramatically cut service and furlough employees.

That article implies they'll cut money losing flights and consolidate people to flights at other times. Just want I want when I buy a plane ticket....
Old Mar 11, 20, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Any thoughts on what routes might be most likely to get the axe? I assume that the plan is to cut them temporarily, but who knows if we'll see them all come back or not.
Old Mar 11, 20, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
the article says reductions in May will include some redeye flights, as well as the acceleration of previously announced route cutbacks/discontinuations
Old Mar 11, 20, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The killer isn't the cruise/leisure market, it's the tech sector business travel. That is basically at 0 right now and I suspect that cuts to keep capacity in line with (profitable) demand will be brutal.

Because AS is SEA-dependent, it gets hit harder than other carriers.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
My guess is we will see a few of the softer Midwest or transcon destinations reduced or suspended, along with reductions on heavy trunk routes, e.g. SEA-ANC/SFO/LAX.
Old Mar 11, 20, 8:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Presidents Club, Southwest Rapid Rewards A List
Reno-San Jose Gone in May

I discovered that my flights from Reno to SJC in May no longer exist. When I called Alaska, they said the route has been eliminated. April 30 is the last day this route will operate. I'm not really surprised since this route was cut back to just 1 flight a day in each direction with lousy flight times that had few (if any) connections. This flight was doomed months ago. Now its official the route is being eliminated May 1st. I'm assuming more route cuts will follow.
Old Mar 11, 20, 9:53 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Rickrich View Post
I discovered that my flights from Reno to SJC in May no longer exist. When I called Alaska, they said the route has been eliminated. April 30 is the last day this route will operate. I'm not really surprised since this route was cut back to just 1 flight a day in each direction with lousy flight times that had few (if any) connections. This flight was doomed months ago. Now its official the route is being eliminated May 1st. I'm assuming more route cuts will follow.
Alaska really stepped up in RNO 7 or so years ago when Southwest cut its direct flights RNO-BOI, RNO-SLC, RNO-PDX, RNO-SJC, RNO-OAK, RNO-SEA, RNO-ONT, RNO-GEG, among others. Southwest really screwed over the RNO market by cutting all these direct flights hard. But, as that happened, Alaska expanded or brought RNO-PDX, RNO-SEA, RNO-BOI, RNO-SJC. It was not nearly the coverage Southwest had, and it cost more, but it was sure better than what Southwest left us with in RNO (fly to LAS to connect to wherever you want to go...).

But since then Southwest has re-instituted RNO-OAK and RNO-SJC. I suspect that is what doomed the Alaska RNO-SJC.

Now this year Alaska has cut RNO-BOI and RNO-SJC, but has upgraded RNO-SEA by stopping use of the awful Horizon Q400 and replacing with an actual Alaska flight on what I suspect are old Virgin planes (quite nice).

RNO-SJC was kind of Alaska's link for the Reno to Hawaii flights. But I guess Southwest can handle that now. Until they leave Reno high and dry on some many routs like they did 7 years ago when the economy tanks.

There is also that pesky pilot shortage making it tougher to run these small short haul flights.
Old Mar 12, 20, 12:07 am

I’m seeing cuts in OAK to Hawaii in the fall - have a ticket booked in the 3rd quarter and the flight has disappeared. I guess we’ll have a choice from either SFO or SJC — wondering out loud if AS flights from OAK become a permanent casualty of the Coronavirus.
Old Mar 12, 20, 1:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, AS MVPG 75K, UA PM, MR Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Believe they annouced months ago that KOA to OAK and SFO and SMF all were being cut as of March and they are increasing frequency on SJC and SAN to daily. SAN doesn't really matter, but anyway, hope at least SJC holds.
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by BallardFlyer View Post
Believe they annouced months ago that KOA to OAK and SFO and SMF all were being cut as of March and they are increasing frequency on SJC and SAN to daily. SAN doesn't really matter, but anyway, hope at least SJC holds.
The cuts were to SFO and SMF, not OAK. Of course, all bets off now.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/alaska...olster-others/
Old Mar 13, 20, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Alaska MVP
Delta is cutting 40% (someone wrote that’s like AS shutting down completely)

So, imagine cuts will be severe.

Me, I’m still out here traveling every week Internationally and domestically.

I am confident this will go down as the greatest case of over reaction / human stupidity and ‘the sky is falling’ in the modern world.
MAH4546 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX View Post

I am confident this will go down as the greatest case of over reaction / human stupidity and ‘the sky is falling’ in the modern world.
I’m confident that the opinions of random posters on FlyerTalk aren’t worth listening to on this topic compared to some epidemiologists and public health officials, but I guess everyone here is not only an armchair member of an airline C-Suite who knows how to run an airline, they enjoy armchair PhDs and MDs in complex subjects. Enjoy your flights and safe travels.
BearX220, Daze, milypan and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 10:30 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Let's hope all the airlines cuts are consistent with the booking/demand drop and they conserve cash and all their employees have enough savings to get thru the next 6 months. We want them all to be able to ramp up quickly as things start coming back in 6-9 months. Those that hope this is 30 days are in lala land
PlowJockey and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX View Post

I partially disagree. How hoarding TP is going to save me, or bottled water when I've got an excellent municipal supply, I'm not quite sure how. How an improper mask is going to help anyone is also bizarre. But a few things ...

1) Maybe, just maybe, with future, different administrations, we'll see the value in our public health institutions, and not blame, but rather, cooperate on a world basis. What "scares" me about this one is that one day, a much more serious strain of something is going to circulate - perhaps as dangerous or more than SARS, but spreads like this one. This has proven that in the current state of affairs, a lot of people would die, and the health care system would collapse.

2) Maybe, just maybe, people will develop better habits that may last a year, two years, more, (or for some, maybe a week). For years, I've been using napkins whenever available at the Buffay to hold the common utensils, flushing toilets with my feet, not touching anything with my hands in a public loo, and so on.

And back to the schedule reductions, I'm just anticipating a wild ride of annoyances, inconveniences, and disturbing travel news for the remainder of the year. While I've always thought that a healthy dose of paranoia is well, healthy, anything more is well, not healthy. Neither is no paranoia. I've already spent about 10 hours on phone calls this week dealing with upcoming travel to quarantine zones as to not eat several thousand dollars in tickets if I couldn't get things rescheduled in time. Let me tell you that it looks like we've got a pretty good thing going with AS policies. Here are two examples from this week:

1) DL codeshare ticket (booked with AX Platinum online) - First call, no waiver. Second call, subject to any add/collect if higher fare - I'd have pushed the trip out further, but the fare was $$$ more. So, I rebooked for May - fare was lower, but had to "eat" the $200 I'd have saved if I could have just banked the ticket and repurchased.
2) AM ticket - AM didn't even issue a waiver until Argentina had essentially banned USA arrivals for a couple of days. And when they did, only phone changes permitted with an AM agent, and no waiver of the phone fee. Plus prevailing fare. Fortunately that was only $20 more for my June rebooking.

At this point, I'd rather have a somewhat shrunken but solvent and stable AS at the end of 2020 than not having AS to choose from. The one caveat is that SFO Lounge better be open this year!
BearX220 and mildfrequence like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: