FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Who has dibs on under seat storage in First ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2012103-who-has-dibs-under-seat-storage-first.html)

chipmaster Mar 9, 2020 2:05 pm

Who has dibs on under seat storage in First ?

So I'm on the first flight out today, got upgraded to first, I'm a regular for better or worse almost always get that upgrade and for the first time decided to take window, you can guess why.

As those that know there is a big center area and two very narrow spaces that really can't fit much. Generally if I come and the center is taken, I just put my stuff up top when I'm aisle as it is easy access and faster, but since I was at the window I did need my laptop during the flight so I wanted it under the seat!

Got to my seat first put my roller up top, and my backpack with a few things ( two laptops, notebook, charger, masks, beats case .etc etc. ) under the middle storage of the front seat. Guy comes with similarly big laptop bag and asks me to move my stuff. I told him my roller bag was up top already and my bag didn't fit in the narrow window side and would need things from it during the flight. He wasn't happy and put everything up top after pulling out his laptop and a big energy drink. After we landed as he got his bag and repacked his laptop he call me a not so nice adjective. I then said sorry, and showed him my bag didn't fit in the window narrow storage.

So who has dibs on the under seat storage, maybe I should have let him have it as he was far bigger and meaner than me. Almost certain if it was a nice older person with a reason, I'd have been more than happy to move my stuff around.

I wasn't very happy with what he called me and pointed out how he got an F in his COVID19 disinfection routine, LOL

Okay who has dibs on the center, do you share, give it to the meanest or first come first serve? If it was a nice person asking with a real reason, of course you defer, but in absence of that, aisle or window person?

rune87 Mar 9, 2020 2:23 pm

I almost always share with the person if needed. I have a smaller bag that holds my ipad, headphones, etc, that slips into my backpack that I use for at the seat. I then usually place both my back pack and roller bag in the overhead. I follow you though. If you are polite, you'll receive the same in kind. If I had to chose I'd say window though so that person doesn't have to keep interrupting the aisle seat.

RAD_PDX Mar 9, 2020 2:44 pm

I usually take it if I am sitting in the window seat simply because I have the power box taking up a decent chunk of my leg space. I've never had an issue with it and it's not a big enough deal to me that I've ever asked someone to move their things if they were there first.

LatrellSprewellIsGod Mar 9, 2020 3:08 pm

The side with the smaller space

The first class seat with the smaller space should be able to use the majority of the middle storage area. I always approached it as both seats gets access to the underseat space directly in front of their seat.

I fly between two to four segments a week, almost always in first class (I’m also 75K). You’d be surprised by how many “low class” first class pax there are. Sorry OP had to deal with that.

DrAlex Mar 9, 2020 3:15 pm

Would big aisle guy have gotten all huffy puffy if you asked him to move to get your stuff 5 seconds after the 10k ding? Survey says.... probably. Logic says share, but window has slightly higher priority.

NWAlaskaFlyer Mar 9, 2020 4:13 pm

I honestly feel this space is mostly for the aisle passenger. I stuff my laptop bag in it and make sure it leaves some room for the window passenger (split the center armrest over the space.) I wouldn't be wildly offended to not have that space but I do feel that the window seat has quite a bit of space (not for a very large bag) and the small space in front of the aisle is good for pretty much nothing. It may be inconvenient but I wouldn't get up in arms if I had to stow overhead as long as the space is there.

Chugach Mar 9, 2020 4:23 pm

This is a thing? Aisle gets the center since there’s no significant space under the aisle seat. Window gets window. Yeah it’s slightly smaller but still enough for a day pack or laptop bag.

This is also why I like to put everything in the overhead. Or sit in row 1, where everything has to go up. Problem solved.

Finkface Mar 9, 2020 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach (Post 32161991)
This is a thing? Aisle gets the center since there’s no significant space under the aisle seat. Window gets window. Yeah it’s slightly smaller but still enough for a day pack or laptop bag.

This is also why I like to put everything in the overhead. Or sit in row 1, where everything has to go up. Problem solved.

Agreed. Aisle gets the centre space (which should also be easily shareable IME - it is huge) and window gets window. I always take aisle and always board last. I have never seen the window seat pax use anything but their space in front, leaving the middle for me. But I only use half that middle space anyway. I had no idea this was a thing.

Eujeanie Mar 9, 2020 5:59 pm

We prefer row 1 after once having someone's head in my lap when we were in 2 (and they were in 1) for 5 hours.

But DO NOT dare to take our ONLY space, which is directly above us, since we have NO alternative. (some have done it, sorted by FA)

RAD_PDX Mar 9, 2020 6:08 pm

Now I'm second-guessing myself :D
I only ever sit in the window seat and I thought the aisle had a seperate place. I'll have to look closer tomorrow.

AndyPatterson Mar 9, 2020 6:10 pm

When in F, I take the window seat, and store my shoulder bag under the space right in front of me.

But, I need to be able to stick one foot into the "common" space, so the aisle passenger cannot and should not take up the entire common space with his (never a woman who tries to do that!) bag.

Often1 Mar 9, 2020 6:21 pm

Whoever the FA says gets the space, gets the space.

If there isn't room, hit the call button and ask for assistance.

nearlysober Mar 9, 2020 6:22 pm

First come, first served.

That said, I'd err on the side of the window accessing the middle storage because:
1. Aisle seat can get to overhead easier
2. Window seat has restricted space in front of them

That aside, show up when it is your turn to board and then people can coordinate together as needed.

cmd320 Mar 9, 2020 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober (Post 32162369)
First come, first served.

That said, I'd err on the side of the window accessing the middle storage because:
1. Aisle seat can get to overhead easier
2. Window seat has restricted space in front of them

That aside, show up when it is your turn to board and then people can coordinate together as needed.

Agreed. If you arrive later and your crap doesn’t fit under the space directly in front of your seat, you’re SOL. Sorry, but sucks to suck. Complaint should be with AS for the awkward configuration to begin with, but it’s hardly the other customer’s problem and if you’re going to drop to such low levels as to berate the other customer for getting there first, you deserve to be inconvenienced.

Ford Fairlane Mar 9, 2020 7:05 pm

I don't know if it's the same configuration on all planes, but earlier today on a Boeing 737-990(ER), the aisle seat definitely had more space to start with. (Aside: Once I realized that aisle seats in the economy cabin typically have *narrower* foot space, I've started booking windows again when back there. Makes a helluva difference for those of us 6'4" and up, and no more bruised knees from beverage carts).

My knee-jerk reaction would be to say Window gets it. Follow-on non-lizard brain thought would be that A&C or D&F can politely discuss it. But after my flight today, I'll say, "It depends."

I was in F and am on the taller-than-need-be-if-not-in-the-NBA side, as I mentioned. D was nowhere near as tall and put her extra item in that in-between space while we were still settling in.

I was a little irked at first, but then we ended up in a nice conversation, and ("How d'ya like them apples?"), she gave me her digits during final descent.

I am not a "Playah" sort and that never happens to me. I didn't even ask. And this was my first FC upgrade after hitting MVP for the first time ever three days ago. So I gotta say, I'm loving Elite status so far!

But enough about me and back on topic: For you, OP, as I gather you weren't hoping for mean guy's contact info, I think you should have had first dibs if your stuffs didn't occupy the *entire* space, or Plan B, it could have been worked out through a discussion.*

* I realize not all our fellow humans, aka DYKWIAs and .........s, are reasonable. But I start with expecting discussions between reasonable adults then adjust from there if need be.

[Edited just to say that I find it funny that d-o-u-c-h-e-b-a-g-s is worthy of being censored. Apologies for my apparent potty mouth.]