Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Who has dibs on under seat storage in First ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who has dibs on under seat storage in First ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yes, this is my point. The middle space is shared -- and by shared, I mean, divided between the two occupants. The dividing line is the armrest.

This means that the aisle seat has more space than the window (I assume you meant "aisle" and not "middle"), but none of this means that it's ever ok to encroach into your neighbor's space. Your space is your seat (and the dividing line between the seats is the armrests) and the space in front of your seat, up to the seat in front of you, and extending underneath the seat in front of you. The placement of the supports of the seat in front of you doesn't change that. In the bulkhead there's no dividing line either; you still wouldn't (hopefully) spill out to in front of your neighbor's seat there either.
Please measure the window space and the aisle space, then let me know which is bigger
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctporter
Please measure the window space and the aisle space, then let me know which is bigger
They are the same size -- both of them are the width of your seat. Ignore the posts supporting the seats in front of you; they do not form borders for your space.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:46 pm

They are the same size -- both of them are the width of your seat. Ignore the posts supporting the seats in front of you; they do not form borders for your space.
are you talking about the underseat storage?????
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

are you talking about the underseat storage?????
Yes.

Your underseat storage is literally all the space in front of your seat, and under the seat in front of you. It is not the area between the posts.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:58 pm

Yes.

Your underseat storage is literally all the space in front of your seat, and under the seat in front of you. It is not the area between the posts.
Ah, I see, I wonder how I can convince my backpack to ignore the post. (since I cannot have anything on the floor in front of me, the FAs keep telling me I have to store it under the seat in front of me...)
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
You can ignore the "posts" if you like but you can't ignore the inhibiting frame around the isle seat at floor level to prevent undedseat stored bags from sliding into the isle. Therefore, the space, is not, the width of the isle seat. The space from the post to the frame is, in fact, smaller than the space from the other post to the fuselage.

James
ctporter, NoLaGent and Finkface like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Prefer aisle. Always travel with a briefcase which I will put up top. IMHO the space is for the aisle person as first dibs as this is where my feet goes. I don’t spread my legs beyond that imaginary line where the armrest would extend. The window seat is free to use the 4 inches of this will not interfere with my feet. I would prefer not to have to put my feet on their item.

When having to sit in window seat my feet are snuggled into the space in front of me.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Ground hog week?

Last flight till this flattens out.

My backpack hangs out 8”-10” and for comparison completely under in the center.

Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Ground hog week?

Last flight till this flattens out.

My backpack hangs out 8”-10” and for comparison completely under in the center.

and have you tried putting it under the aisle storage at all?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
It isn't going to fit! N433AS PDX-SEA 3/11.

Window Seat, lots of room despite control box.

Notice frame to prevent movement into the isle.

Isle Seat storage area.

James
Finkface and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:11 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
This is like the passenger who is in the aisle seat who always asks the window seat passenger to adjust the shade. Why not sit in the window seat anyway?

First some first serve in my view!! =)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It isn't going to fit! N433AS PDX-SEA 3/11.

Window Seat, lots of room despite control box.
Notice frame to prevent movement into the isle.
Isle Seat storage area.

James
This. There is NO space under the front of the aisle seat. I even have to stack my shoes. That’s why aisle gets middle.
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:40 am

Jeez, I'm glad I never end up in first class facing this tragic dilemma. Though this was very interesting to read!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Of course it won't fit. Already for this trip did a few things ahead of time to tuck it into the ,window I pulled a few things out and put it in my roller board.

Maybe it's all my fault; backpack got two laptops, kindle, and a few other things that make it so bulky, but hey road warrior with a system to go domestic or international with just those two pieces, including gym shoes and and ever ready for CEO meeting garb, LOL

If I am aisle which I always take except in this current situation I always defer the under seat area to the other people, all my stuff in the overhead. Not sure why passenger was so insistent and pissed, but sometimes you just meet that road rage guy
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
This is like the passenger who is in the aisle seat who always asks the window seat passenger to adjust the shade. Why not sit in the window seat anyway?

First some first serve in my view!! =)
Sometimes it isn't first come first serve, but assigned seating ;-)

That I feel is very different, I prefer aisle and when I fly at certain times in the morning and evening the rising/setting sun just directly shines in, seems to be a "reasonable" request, seriously that means I need to take window?

Maybe the person in aisle is both incontinent and light sensitive to, what is more inconvenient to his neighbor, LOL
worldtraveller73 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.