Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Limited time: Get to elite status 50% faster!

Limited time: Get to elite status 50% faster!

Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Curious if anyone who has gotten credited the enhanced EQM noticed if the total EQM applied to MM accumulation? I am only 40 K away and am considering taking a few trips before 4/11.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Booked SEA-LIH-SEA-BOS-SEA for $487.
Each stop is about 1 hour long (only 40 min connection time in SEA between Hawaii and Boston, which is why I booked everything on one ticket).
It will be a tough 28 or so hours, but will net me 15.5k EQMs in a very short amount of time.
Flights to Hawaii show F4, flights to Boston showing F7, hoping upgrades will clear on most flights.
OMG. I am just about to need to restart my physical therapy and get another low spine epidural just reading this. I'll just survive with my SFO/HNL/SFO with a nice 24+ hours on the ground for $700-ish and "only" score about 12K+ EQMs.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Klrduks
Curious if anyone who has gotten credited the enhanced EQM noticed if the total EQM applied to MM accumulation? I am only 40 K away and am considering taking a few trips before 4/11.
The EQM bonus offer does NOT increase your MM counter. Still 700K to go for me....

James
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The EQM bonus offer does NOT increase your MM counter. Still 700K to go for me....

James
So glad to hear. It will avoid that "dilution of the MM ranks thread!"
beckoa and mildfrequence like this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
This is a nice surprise...I have a total of 12 AS flights booked through April 2nd and will earn an additional 7109 EQM. Nice, for sure, but I don't need the additional EQM for requalification. [emphasis added]
I suspect you hit the nail on the head here (perhaps inadvertently). This is kind of brilliant on AS's part if you think through it.

If the COVID pandemic moderates more quickly than expected, then the EQM bonus imposes only a modest cost on them — maybe a few flights in Nov/Dec to hit tier thresholds don't happen. No big deal. If the pandemic continues on its current trajectory, then they seriously consider status extensions, in which case the current EQM bonus literally costs them nothing, while apparently generating at least a little revenue right now.

This is the best kind of investment AS can make according to basic CAPM theory, as the return is negatively correlated with the travel sector/overall market. It dominates a RDM bonus, because a status extension has no impact on the resulting RDM liabilities from such a bonus.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
I suspect you hit the nail on the head here (perhaps inadvertently). This is kind of brilliant on AS's part if you think through it.

If the COVID pandemic moderates more quickly than expected, then the EQM bonus imposes only a modest cost on them — maybe a few flights in Nov/Dec to hit tier thresholds don't happen. No big deal. If the pandemic continues on its current trajectory, then they seriously consider status extensions, in which case the current EQM bonus literally costs them nothing, while apparently generating at least a little revenue right now.

This is the best kind of investment AS can make according to basic CAPM theory, as the return is negatively correlated with the travel sector/overall market. It dominates a RDM bonus, because a status extension has no impact on the resulting RDM liabilities from such a bonus.
In my case, these were already booked flights so the extra EQM didn't generate any additional revenue for AS. While I did say that I didn't need the EQM for requalification, I wasn't being negative in that regard. It is yet to be determined if EQM earnings hold any additional benefits in a New OW Mileage Plan much like in AA where the highest spender gets priority over an Elite Tier pier.

I have effectively qualified for MVP & MVPG twice on AS+Partners all in the same year in 2018 & 2019. 125K EQM. I'll happily take the additional EQM on prebooked flights as a "hedge" to what could be, there is no risk to me and it may be liability neutral for AS. No harm, no foul.

I would agree that EQM is dominant over RDM in this scenario but there is an inherent future liability on Elite Bonus RDM especially during a period of supressed fares. Those that routinely achieve MVP may, with the current cheaper fares, dole out some dollars to reach MVPG at an excellerated rate and receive 100% more Elite Bonus miles (50٪ to 100% of base) for the next 12 to 20 months.

If at some point AS decides to extend current status for an additional year, the ebb & flow of Elites from year to year would be static at 2019 qualification levels plus all new higher level elites who qualified in 2020, many of whom earned their new status at down to 67% of 2019 requirements. That could be a huge RDM liability for AS. Granted, a significant drop in Elites could have a much greater negative impact in the long-term.

I am sure there are many other considerations too with the constantly changing environment. Are Elites currently on a status challenge also getting the EQM bonus towards their challenge requirements? If they successfully complete the challenge would their status be extended for another year too? A five week promo on EQM earnings will get a few more butts in seats and the current change/cancel fee waiver on new bookings will help on revenue streams in the now, time will tell how it all plays out.

James
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milypan

It may be brilliant for their business but not so much for a society trying to stop the spread of a virus. Encouraging people to travel more now is not brilliant at all IMHO.

Sometimes we need to step back and realize there are things more important to society than hitting our EBITDA numbers for the quarter.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond

James
Does the class of service bonus for F count toward million miler?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
It may be brilliant for their business but not so much for a society trying to stop the spread of a virus. Encouraging people to travel more now is not brilliant at all IMHO.

Sometimes we need to step back and realize there are things more important to society than hitting our EBITDA numbers for the quarter.
Oh I completely agree with you. I am just thinking through it from the perspective of AS management, who have done nothing that suggests they care about public health. They, like the management teams at all the other airlines, are clearly in the “how do we keep the share price from collapsing even more?” mode.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Does the class of service bonus for F count toward million miler?
I have never purchased an F ticket before on AS so I can't say if the COS on paif F also accumulates additional EQM for MM Status. While I have purchased Main fares that also have a COS component (Y, S, B or M fares) I haven't paid attention to the MM counter since I am many flights away from achieving that nor am I actively pursuing it.

The websites says "fly 1,000,00 miles" with us. However, that is ambiguous in regards to the 500 mile minimum EQM accumulation on flights shorter than 500 miles. I have illustrated before that you can reach MM status while flying as little as 184,000 miles in the contiguous USA and, as pointed out to me, even fewer on some routes in Alaska.

Perhaps a MM or one soon to be, watching the counter more closely, will chime in.

Fun fact: The route is SEA-BLI, 92 miles.You can reach MVPG75K on 90 segments (45 returns) earning 45,000 EQM and actually only flying 8,280 miles. MVPG could be achieved on 60 segments (30 returns) earning 30,000 EQM and flying only 5,520 miles. You would need to fly SEA-KOA; KOA-SEA back & forth (2688 miles) 15 times and commit to about 90 hours of flying to achieve MVPG (40,320 miles = 8! ) on that route.

8! Is 8 Factorial = 8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1 = 40,320 Factorials are used in combinations & permutations. I recognized the number as 8! so had to throw it in..... Our pursuit of status is a numbers game anyway, isn't it?

Get your EQM bonuses B4UR2L8.

Cheers everyone,

James
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rune87
  • Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
  • Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
Thats not airborne transmission as they consider it. Thats contact transmission. Their spit, hitting you. That's why 6ft separation. Airborne transmission is someone coughs in a room, leaves, virus lives in the air. As of now this is not currently their understanding of it. This is also why understanding the terminology is important.
So... got a link to a CDC statement?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So... got a link to a CDC statement?
Literally just pulled straight word from word on the CDC document. If you can't understand those bullet points, I can't help you. If you don't believe.. I really don't care. You do you. I'll continue to fly and live my life normally with some added precautions.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
At what point do we simply accept that this is going to spread like any other disease though? Evidence coming out now is that it's already been circulating for at least the last 6 weeks. On top of that the CDC has clearly indicated this is not an airborne disease, but rather a contact. So unless someone is coughing directly on you, as long as you have wiped down the seat surfaces, probability is really low. After a certain point you just have to accept that we've lost. Humans can't conquer everything. And for those still holding out hope for a vaccine...we've never successfully created a vaccine for a corona type virus infection. SARS is a great example. Excluding those 60+, 99.98% of the population is going to ride this out like normal. The societal breakdown effects are what worries me more at this point. At this point I see it like this.. Live your life in fear that something may take you, or continue on as normal and try to minimize your impact on society. Statistically your still more likely to get taken out by a drunk driver, and yet I'm sure we all still drive. I don't fault AS for trying to keep business running. They are trying to survive, same as all those mom and pop shops struggling and facing ruin now. The same ones providing jobs and health insurance to their employees. I really don't want a repeat of 08 because we over reacted to media hype when the medical community says other things.
You might be an asymptomatic carrier but that could hurt some of the folks around you, especially the more senior folks.

That said, I'm tempted to book some cheap flights to do a mileage run towards the end of the promo time window, assuming Covid dies down a bit as the weather warms up.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Literally just pulled straight word from word on the CDC document. If you can't understand those bullet points, I can't help you. If you don't believe.. I really don't care. You do you. I'll continue to fly and live my life normally with some added precautions.
Am I the only one who thinks this thread about bonus EQM has gone way off topic?
tusphotog and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Calculon
Am I the only one who thinks this thread about bonus EQM has gone way off topic?
Well yes, but there's a reason AS is offering bonus EQM?
PlowJockey likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.