Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Limited time: Get to elite status 50% faster!

Limited time: Get to elite status 50% faster!

Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
This is a nice surprise. I am at PHX now boarding soon for PHX-SEA-SFO-JFK-SFO-PHX. All 5 segments booked in R, all 5 segments upgraded to F. I just registered and will get the bonus tomorrow on JFK-SFO-PHX. I have a total of 12 AS flights booked through April 2nd and will earn an additional 7109 EQM. Nice, for sure, but I don't need the additional EQM for requalification.

James
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS
Oh man, will just miss by 2 days. Wishing they modify dates . They have modified their other booking and cancel/change policy a few times. Hope they do the same here.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
What are people finding for mileage runs using this? I randomly tried SEA-FLL. Ticket price is $266.81, miles earned would be 8140, $0.03/mile.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by missamo80
What are people finding for mileage runs using this? I randomly tried SEA-FLL. Ticket price is $266.81, miles earned would be 8140, $0.03/mile.
PDX - OGG, HNL, LIH, KOA. $258 round trips in main. I believe the $129 each way can be found when departing from SEA and a few California cities as well.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I won't saw it's too late as AS management deserves props for being first out of the gate with a status promo to boost sales. However it is definitely too little and too short as anybody who is going to fly now clearly doesn't care about the virus. Anybody who cancelled spring break travel isn't going to say "oh my, reverse course"

A better plan would be to offer 100% EQM the next 30 days and 50% for 31-60 days.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont quite understand the rationale for a promotion to get people to unnecessarily fly in the midst of a growing pandemic that is spread by being in close proximity to other people.

I know Alaska and all airlines are hurting for biz and I usually jump on these promos as I did during the recession and after 9/11. This is different because its a pathogen. No matter how hard their bottom line is getting hit, encouraging more frivolous travel isnt the responsible thing to do now.

Then again, maybe Im more cautious since Im in China and I see the effects that social distancing has had in getting a handle on the virus very quickly. Imagine if China Eastern had done this promo 2 weeks after they closed wuhan!
Boraxo and rustykettel like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
This is a nice surprise. I am at PHX now boarding soon for PHX-SEA-SFO-JFK-SFO-PHX. All 5 segments booked in R, all 5 segments upgraded to F. I just registered and will get the bonus tomorrow on JFK-SFO-PHX. I have a total of 12 AS flights booked through April 2nd and will earn an additional 7109 EQM. Nice, for sure, but I don't need the additional EQM for requalification.

James
Sigh....so now we have to put up with even more bragging from you. Lovely
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:25 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I don’t quite understand the rationale for a promotion to get people to unnecessarily fly in the midst of a growing pandemic that is spread by being in close proximity to other people.

I know Alaska and all airlines are hurting for biz and I usually jump on these promos as I did during the recession and after 9/11. This is different because it’s a pathogen. No matter how hard their bottom line is getting hit, encouraging more frivolous travel isn’t the responsible thing to do now.

Then again, maybe I’m more cautious since I’m in China and I see the effects that social distancing has had in getting a handle on the virus very quickly. Imagine if China Eastern had done this promo 2 weeks after they closed wuhan!
If people shouldn't fly, there should be a government travel ban or health warning stating so. It's not the job of the general public (which includes Alaska) to make these sorts of decisions. But studies have shown domestic air travel bans are not effective: https://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes.../14-135590/en/
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:26 pm

I am so stupid that I don't understand this. Partly is because I didn't think AS used the EQM term.

So is it this:
20,000 Alaska miles needed to reach MVP, 40,000 for MVP Gold.
If one registers for the promotion and flies a transcon round trip during the promotional period (2500 miles each way and 5000 miles round trip), then they will be counted as being 7500 miles towards the 20,000 miles needed for next year's MVP?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:27 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by A318neo
I am so stupid that I don't understand this. Partly is because I didn't think AS used the EQM term.

So is it this:
20,000 Alaska miles needed to reach MVP, 40,000 for MVP Gold.
If one registers for the promotion and flies a transcon round trip during the promotional period (2500 miles each way and 5000 miles round trip), then they will be counted as being 7500 miles towards the 20,000 miles needed for next year's MVP?
Yes.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
It just dawned on me, but Ive actually now gone back and changed a couple of award flights I had booked in March to revenue flights. The cash prices are now much cheaper than when I redeemed the miles, and now my upgrade chances are much better as F cabins have cleared out a little. Couple that with the 50% bonus and its a no brainer.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I don’t quite understand the rationale for a promotion to get people to unnecessarily fly in the midst of a growing pandemic that is spread by being in close proximity to other people.

I know Alaska and all airlines are hurting for biz and I usually jump on these promos as I did during the recession and after 9/11. This is different because it’s a pathogen. No matter how hard their bottom line is getting hit, encouraging more frivolous travel isn’t the responsible thing to do now.

Then again, maybe I’m more cautious since I’m in China and I see the effects that social distancing has had in getting a handle on the virus very quickly. Imagine if China Eastern had done this promo 2 weeks after they closed wuhan!
Honestly.. we are at the stage that the US is never going to quarantine to the level that China has. They can't and they won't. This sucker is already incubating in cities and regions and it's going to do what it's going to do at this point. The time to shut air travel down and prevent movement was weeks ago. Flying at this point really is not going to make any difference. The other piece is based on reports of people being denied testing...the US Gov't really doesn't seem to want to know how many cases we have here. If you are older than 50, you prolly shouldn't be anywhere near people nor in contact with those flying. Under that age, the fatality rate is currently identical to the Flu. You can't bring the entire world to a screeching halt anymore, especially in light of the fact that there is nothing you can do against coronavirus other than sanitize. I stick to window seats and wipe everything down with wipes. The HEPA filters in planes are just effective with air filtration. Taking some basic precautions will protect you as well as if you went into a grocery store to horde supplies.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:38 pm

I dont quite understand the rationale for a promotion to get people to unnecessarily fly in the midst of a growing pandemic that is spread by being in close proximity to other people.

I know Alaska and all airlines are hurting for biz and I usually jump on these promos as I did during the recession and after 9/11. This is different because its a pathogen. No matter how hard their bottom line is getting hit, encouraging more frivolous travel isnt the responsible thing to do now.

Then again, maybe Im more cautious since Im in China and I see the effects that social distancing has had in getting a handle on the virus very quickly. Imagine if China Eastern had done this promo 2 weeks after they closed wuhan!
The WHO is saying you should not change travel plans if you are healthy. If you are sick, do not fly but if you cancel travel due to fears of the current outbreak, you can be causing more harm than good.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Perfect timing! I leave for my SF conference next week and then a fun week in Boston before returning home. This trip will get me more than halfway to MVPG for 2021, as most of my travel this year has been on awards – not planning to requalify for 75K.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by rune87
If you are older than 50,
Ouch
flytoeat and bon mot like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.