Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Limited time: Get to elite status 50% faster!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Limited time: Get to elite status 50% faster!

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2020, 8:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I was on track to hit 75k this year, however that obviously won't happen. I have no reason to fly AS later in the year at current policy, as without my international trips and the several June/July coast2coasts I wouldn't even hit MVPG (if it wasn't extended). To be clear, I am a big supporter of the limitations right now for travel, but I will need to fly later in the year and I don't really have any reason to stick with AS instead of DL AA (crediting to BA).

Status isn't loyalty, it's business. If enough people like me exist there will be some sort of incentive (which they have said they'll do, I'm hopeful they'll announce soon).
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Fly and earn a 50% EQM bonus

Fly Alaska Airlines between June 1 and December 31, 2020 and earn 50% more Mileage Plan™ elite-qualifying miles (EQM).

YAY!!!!!

but ... “
You’ve probably already heard that the status you're holding on December 31, 2020*, will be extended through the end 2021.” I’m confused because isn’t that how status always works
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
but ... “You’ve probably already heard that the status you're holding on December 31, 2020*, will be extended through the end 2021.” I’m confused because isn’t that how status always works
Nope. If your 2020 status was earned in 2019, it would expire after 12/31/2020. They’ve said your 2019 earned status will extend through 12/31/2021.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by Finkface
Sure, let’s become just like Delta. Or AA. See how happy people are over there? Not. I am quite happy with AS just as it is. The last thing I want is to emulate Delta. The number one thing people say about AS is that they are different than those other programs.
Different, huh? https://viewfromthewing.com/alaska-a...card-spending/.

I'm happy they're offering EQM for credit card spend now; I think its very likely to bring more revenue to the airline. It certainly will mean I'm spending more on an AS card.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dordal
Different, huh? https://viewfromthewing.com/alaska-a...card-spending/.

I'm happy they're offering EQM for credit card spend now; I think its very likely to bring more revenue to the airline. It certainly will mean I'm spending more on an AS card.
This is good, but being capped at 10k EQM it seems kind of pointless unless they extend rollover to the entirety of the year and not just EQM from January through April.
DaveH and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
This is good, but being capped at 10k EQM it seems kind of pointless unless they extend rollover to the entirety of the year and not just EQM from January through April.
It's not entirely pointless - travel is slowly picking up for at least some people. I likely have to continue personal travel through this year, and business travel may return. With the CC bonus, it might make the difference between staying at MVPG for next year or making it to 75K.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
Nice for Alaska to offer this for those that have to travel for work once states start to open back up.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:57 am

My current Gold status will last until December 2021. I am happy with MVP Gold in 2021.
Also, any miles that I accrue this year (2020) after April 30th won't roll over to quality in 2022.

Then, what's the point of this promotion? Just to entice me to try to aim to get to 75K but just for 2021? I find it a little weird.
If these qualification miles earned after April 30th rolled over to 2022 it'd be a different story. Until/unless that happens, in terms of status qualification I do not have a reason to fly Alaska this year.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LeonS
My current Gold status will last until December 2021. I am happy with MVP Gold in 2021.
Also, any miles that I accrue this year (2020) after April 30th won't roll over to quality in 2022.

Then, what's the point of this promotion? Just to entice me to try to aim to get to 75K but just for 2021? I find it a little weird.
If these qualification miles earned after April 30th rolled over to 2022 it'd be a different story. Until/unless that happens, in terms of status qualification I do not have a reason to fly Alaska this year.
I'm an MVP and will of course be next year with the status extension....the only time I ever have a chance at MVPG is when there is a EQM promotion so this actually means I can potentially get MVPG now.
Flying for Fun and DrAlex like this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Here we are again.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...s/status-boost
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Wait, what’s new?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Wait, what’s new?
That's what I was wondering...this promotion has been around for months.
NoLaGent and anteater like this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Sorry if I missed this but is it just the status that rolls over to 2021 or is it miles and status? In reading the thread I see it mentioned both ways and was never totally clarified.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 2:34 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
It’s qualification miles. So to get MVP you need 20k miles, but under the promo you really only need to fly 13,334. However the number of miles credited to your account for future redemptions is the non-bonus amount.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by mtofell
Sorry if I missed this but is it just the status that rolls over to 2021 or is it miles and status? In reading the thread I see it mentioned both ways and was never totally clarified.
The status rolls over, plus any elite-qualifying miles earned between January 1, 2020 and April 30, 2020 will also be rolled over to 2021.
mtofell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.