Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

If you're willing to take a chance......GREAT Deals on flights right now

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you're willing to take a chance......GREAT Deals on flights right now

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
It was quite a deal. I saw HNL-SAN-HNL for $147 RT. I was very tempted. Seemed a bit incongruous with what I'm doing at home to reduce contact with people. As someone else said a few posts above, unnecessary travel seems irresponsible to me at this point.
I've booked a couple of HNL quickies (with 24+ ground hours to enjoy) as my int'l travels (2 trips) over the next few weeks are off. I figure that I can always back out and get my $ back (or full credit). I also figure that the airplanes and travel-related contact points are going to be among the most well-sanitized places around, and the planes have air filters that catch most of these germs. So other than self-quarantine at home, I can't say I'll be more exposed by travel than in daily life around home. I figure we've all been exposed. And so back to the on point part of this topic, around $1400 for approximately 25K EQMs, going to a location with some nice fresh air, and the opportunity to bathe my insides with Mai Tai Sanitizer is something I can deal with, and if I decide I can't, I'll stay home.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
I'm doing a SAN-MCO same day turn next week. I thought about a Hawaii run but if things go haywire I can always drive home.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I figure we've all been exposed.
We have, it isn't about stopping it anymore, it's about "flattening the curve". The more of us that ignore the warnings, that chase miles and put self interest ahead of societal need, the more likely we are to cause a spike that overwhelms the healthcare system.

Sometimes being responsible sucks. I'm struggling with ignoring the urge to dive in on these deals or cancel my existing bookings because I like the game and the deals are crazy. But I'm not just trying to think of my parents, but everyone's parents. How fast this thing spreads, it aint worth it.

I just have to hope there will be more fare sales & catch up opportunities when it's safe to travel.
Honestly, at this point, the government needs to step in and give airlines assistance and tell them to stop incentivizing people to travel right now.
tom911, jmw, milypan and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Sometimes being responsible sucks. I'm struggling with ignoring the urge to dive in on these deals or cancel my existing bookings because I like the game and the deals are crazy.
Agree with everything you said. But if it makes you feel any better about missing the deals, consider that if current trends continue then airlines will think seriously about status extensions, in which case all the EQMs earned to date will have little to no value.
TravelingZoomer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milypan
Agree with everything you said. But if it makes you feel any better about missing the deals, consider that if current trends continue then airlines will think seriously about status extensions, in which case all the EQMs earned to date will have little to no value.
Only if you believe it will be a "blanket" extension! It could be effort based or a reduction in requalification requirements or even a soft landing.

Will those that already requalified for 2021 be given an extension through the end of 2022?

James
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Only if you believe it will be a "blanket" extension! It could be effort based or a reduction in requalification requirements or even a soft landing.
It could take any number of forms. But blanket extension or short-term "challenge" would be the simplest.

Will those that already requalified for 2021 be given an extension through the end of 2022?
Unlikely. What would the business case for that be?

If you want rollover EQM, fly DL.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I'd happy keep my booked flights for the next 3 weeks and just not fly them, if AS would give me EQM for missed flights as a short term solution.

Would keep unnecessary butts out of seats. Would give AS some revenue during this trying time for them. They could even make it so it doesn't count with new purchases... you have to have already bought, and travel in next couple weeks, prevent people from jumping in now and "buying status".

Doubt that happens though.
Ripper3785 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:05 pm

Alaska just raised the price of SEA-Hawaii flights. I guess with schools canceled in Seattle, they are seeing/expecting an increase in families heading to the islands.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
To keep everyone happy, AS should allow passengers the option to book their tickets, not fly, and keep the EQMs/RDMs one would have earned if they had flown the trip. AS gets to keep the badly needed revenue, FTers get their miles, and the public isn't at higher risk for spreading the disease. It's a win-win
Ripper3785 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:12 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
[QUOTE=nearlysober;32175717]The more of us that ignore the warnings, that chase miles and put self interest ahead of societal need, the more likely we are to cause a spike that overwhelms the healthcare system.
How fast this thing spreads, it aint worth it.
/QUOTE]
This is very sensible We are pushing ourselves to the brink at this point. Pushing people to travel unnecessarily is completely irresponsible--especially when we still do not have access to tests and are unknowingly spreading it all over the country and the world. Getting a few dollars in revenue is not going to help much at this point anyway. In a matter of days, all 50 states will have cases and it will only be getting worse.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Alaska just raised the price of SEA-Hawaii flights. I guess with schools canceled in Seattle, they are seeing/expecting an increase in families heading to the islands.
Let's hope it's because they're cutting capacity rather than because people are booking vacations. If it's the latter, I'd come around to supporting domestic travel restrictions.

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
To keep everyone happy, AS should allow passengers the option to book their tickets, not fly, and keep the EQMs/RDMs one would have earned if they had flown the trip. AS gets to keep the badly needed revenue, FTers get their miles, and the public isn't at higher risk for spreading the disease.
Agreed, and they could condition the offer on you cancelling ahead of time, allowing them to resell the same "seat" to someone else. One PR issue, however, is that if they later announce a status extension or reclaim challenge, those who paid for now-worthless EQMs would be pretty pissed.

A better alternative might be to offer 0.5 EQM/$ on AS Visa spend for 2020. Presumably generates near-term revenue, and the optics are better since people are not literally paying for EQMs that AS makes worthless later.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:54 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k
What happened to the fare sale? I thought it was extended until March 16. I was watching prices for a while and every route (from SFO) went up in price. All the other airlines still have lower prices, but AS is higher across the board now.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by burningflames
What happened to the fare sale? I thought it was extended until March 16. I was watching prices for a while and every route (from SFO) went up in price. All the other airlines still have lower prices, but AS is higher across the board now.
I am guessing it is either 1) Schools canceled in Seattle = potential for families going on vacation and/or 2) Potential for ban on travel to/from WA and CA and Alaska wanting to slow bookings at this time.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Well that was a lovely 6:13 flight to Lihue. Now to turn around and go home. I will definitely say that today has been sobering in talking with my usual folks at the airport. Everyone is worried for their jobs and what the future brings. Its honestly really sad how fast we have gone from a positive outlook to just downright fear. As much as the fear of travel exists, I almost feel as though we have to continue it as long as we can. People's livelyhoods are on the line. Do we save one life and as a result put another on the street?
PVDtoDEL likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:12 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I am guessing it is either 1) Schools canceled in Seattle = potential for families going on vacation and/or 2) Potential for ban on travel to/from WA and CA and Alaska wanting to slow bookings at this time.
Thwre is no potential for an illegal ban on traveling within States. I can’t believe news outlets are even reporting such garbage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.