Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

If you're willing to take a chance......GREAT Deals on flights right now

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you're willing to take a chance......GREAT Deals on flights right now

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
If AS wants to spur me into buying some impromptu airfare, they need to open up some fare sales on Fridays & Sundays... most these deals are only on Tue, Wed or Sat. I'd be more than happy to book 3 or 4 weekend getaways to spend 36 hours in some random city if they slashed fares on more days, but I'm not going to burn PTO on mileage run trips.

There are a 1 or 2 options in the $0.05 per mile range for Friday/Sunday travel... not enough to make me smash the "buy now" button... but I'll mull it over.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
If AS wants to spur me into buying some impromptu airfare, they need to open up some fare sales on Fridays & Sundays... most these deals are only on Tue, Wed or Sat. I'd be more than happy to book 3 or 4 weekend getaways to spend 36 hours in some random city if they slashed fares on more days, but I'm not going to burn PTO on mileage run trips.

There are a 1 or 2 options in the $0.05 per mile range for Friday/Sunday travel... not enough to make me smash the "buy now" button... but I'll mull it over.

I agree - these sale fares for inconvenient dates and connecting flights from SEA were a waste of time to look at (I understand mileage folks may like connections but I absolutely do not)
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I don't think I would be interested in these promos.
I pushed out ALL my flying to after end of June.
Not going to take the risk of being exposed to people on the plane whom you have no clue where they have been!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I don't think I would be interested in these promos.
I pushed out ALL my flying to after end of June.
Not going to take the risk of being exposed to people on the plane whom you have no clue where they have been!
♫You remind me, I live in a shell
Safe from the past, and doing ok, but not very well
No coughs no surprises
No corona virus, my life goes along as it should
Its all very nice, but not very good ....

And I'm ready to take a flight again,
Ready to put my life on the line with flu
Been living with nothing to show for it
Contract what you get when you go for it
And I'm ready to take a flight again with flu ... ♫
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Received a similar email. I am not going to chase after miles this year. Mostly likely I might not re-qual for MVPG 75K. Way too risky to be on a plane!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Received a similar email. I am not going to chase after miles this year. Mostly likely I might not re-qual for MVPG 75K. Way too risky to be on a plane!
I feel my upgrade chances improving.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by david55
I am less afraid of catching the virus then I am of being stranded or quarantined somewhere away from home.
That's why my mileage runs are to Hawaii
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: This thread is a discussion related to AS offering fare sales and incentives in response to COVID-19. It is not a discussion of COVID-19; that belongs in OMNI. Some off-topic post have been deleted and future OT posts will be deleted without notice. Thanks.

dayone, AS Moderator
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
I don't see a huge risk on my part. The saver fares PDX-SEA in May are cheap enough for mileage running on the right days and if the virus gets totally out of control I can cancel and put the funds in my wallet. I know I will use the wallet funds.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by perktd
I don't see a huge risk on my part. The saver fares PDX-SEA in May are cheap enough for mileage running on the right days and if the virus gets totally out of control I can cancel and put the funds in my wallet. I know I will use the wallet funds.
That’s a nice plan, but you can’t cancel saver fares.

Edit: Fake News Redacted

Last edited by RAD_PDX; Mar 5, 2020 at 4:48 pm
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
$99 transcon is pretty common these days on AS.

U/G has been plentiful even prior to the current event.

I have not cancelled any existing itinerary.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:30 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
That’s a nice plan, but you can’t cancel saver fares.
Not true. The waiver applies even to saver fares: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...vel-advisories
be_rettSEA and mildfrequence like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by _fx
Not true. The waiver applies even to saver fares: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...vel-advisories
Whoops, forgot about the waiver!
be_rettSEA and mildfrequence like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The airlines will have to make up for their losses in the first half of the year by overcharging in the 2nd half if this is over by then.
That's how it would have worked under the CAB, but in a demand based pricing environment, they always charge as much as they can, and the P&L will be what it is. The concept of "overcharging" doesn't exist.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
‘Take a chance’ on what?

Im flying every 5-6 days for the next 6 months solid.
Every continent, 30+ countries, all over.

It has not crossed my mind once, in Tokyo, Taipei, Portland or anywhere in the last 2 months to change anything.

Too bad all my travel has been booked, as it looks like prices are cratering. But, I guess that humans will look back at this as one of the greatest ‘The Sky Is Falling’ moments in human history.

It’s too bad, as the next virus that rolls around could actually be serious, and after this one... a lot less people will believe the media or WHO or anyone in the medical community or the news profiting off scaring everyone.

*shrug*

PDX-SFO-SYD on Sunday
then off to Asia!
I don’t blame you for not cancelling trips. However, I’ve seen reports that people are being barred entry or required to quarantine for a designated amount of time if they have visited a high risk country. I am familiar with someone personally who was told that he would have to quarantine for 48 hours in London or fly back to the US due to having visited Tokyo a month ago.

I think many people are with you in believing that the reaction has been more extreme than necessary. I’m with you on that. But there are things to be concerned about while traveling. Being in close quarters with other frequent travelers in a vehicle that isn’t thoroughly sanitized for an extended amount of time is certainly higher risk than say, staying at home/away from crowded spaces. Particularly if you’re visiting regions where the virus has spread significantly.
That’s the “chance” the person was referring to, and such an assessment is important right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.