AS 340 Today - Ay Trow Shus

Old Mar 1, 20, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
AS 340 Today - Ay Trow Shus

My last few F flights have been pretty pleasant, so I was hoping that maybe, just maybe, things were back on course. Or should I say, courses. Anyway, today's SFO/EWR - all seemed fine, except the email I received shortly prior to boarding, that the internet was non-op. - plane at gate, crew boarded quite early, plane catered prior to boarding, no issues there. Water at seat.

So,
1) No internet
2) No menus
3) No PDB - should have been an offering of coffee at that hour.
4) No tablets offered (more to follow).
5) Everything served at once. Smoothie, yogurt, granola, roll, hot dish. I politely asked him to take the hot course back so it could stay hot while I ate the other things.
6) Although there was pre-meal beverage services, they were not refilled at time of food delivery, and we ate with empty glasses.
7) Entire cabin cleared from breakfast service within 70 minutes of takeoff.
8) Tablets - I inquired about the time the meal came - he said there were cutbacks, and he wasn't sure they were there and if so the cart hadn't yet come up. Well, it turns out he never cared nor checked, because the first I learned that there were tablets onboard were when I heard the pre-arrival announcement that the crew would be collecting them soon.

Even the chocolates were distributed an hour prior to arrival. On the "plus side," I suppose he shouldn't have done the hot towel service. We received hot towels, contrary to the new policy that I read about after landing.

8 really ticked me off to the point of "ok, this one is getting written up more than usual."

Lay-zee. Really a shame as presented properly, it could be a lovely service.
Old Mar 1, 20, 3:11 pm

Programs: Alaska
Maybe COVID-19 related simplified service
Old Mar 1, 20, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m View Post
Maybe COVID-19 related simplified service
What a crock! Y can get germs from tablets but F can't?
Old Mar 1, 20, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
5) Everything served at once. Smoothie, yogurt, granola, roll, hot dish. I politely asked him to take the hot course back so it could stay hot while I ate the other things..
The only consistent thing about breakfast on transons from SFO is inconsistency. Yesterday I had a flight where the smoothies were served separately before the entire tray came out. On prior flights I've been served in three distinct courses (smoothie, tray, hot item), or, like your flight, with everything on the tray at one time. You would think Alaska has some service standards on these routes as to when and how things should be served, but if they do, it seems they're being ignored.,
Old Mar 1, 20, 3:31 pm

What a crock! Y can get germs from tablets but F can't?
Have you confirmed that Y cabin actually received tablets? There are more Y passengers than F passengers. It would be weird that they donít have any spare left for F passengers.
Old Mar 1, 20, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I don't think I've ever had a transcon where they didn't start with offering the tablets in first class. They wheel the cart up front and work their way back.
Old Mar 1, 20, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Have you confirmed that Y cabin actually received tablets? There are more Y passengers than F passengers. It would be weird that they donít have any spare left for F passengers.
Yes. They made an announcement that they were collecting the tablets they had distributed. F never received an offer of tablets. This is a first on any tablet-available flight I've ever had on AS.
Old Mar 1, 20, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
The only consistent thing about breakfast on transons from SFO is inconsistency. Yesterday I had a flight where the smoothies were served separately before the entire tray came out. On prior flights I've been served in three distinct courses (smoothie, tray, hot item), or, like your flight, with everything on the tray at one time. You would think Alaska has some service standards on these routes as to when and how things should be served, but if they do, it seems they're being ignored.,
They have standards, because the menu states that they serve in courses, and if you want it all served at once, to let the FA know.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 1, 20, 3:38 pm

Yes. They made an announcement that they were collecting the tablets they had distributed. F never received an offer of tablets. This is a first on any tablet-available flight I've ever had on AS.

announcement could be just reading from a prepared manual.
Old Mar 1, 20, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

announcement could be just reading from a prepared manual.
Ok. You win. Best flight EVER.. Please ignore my OP
Daze, AS Flyer, tusphotog and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 20, 8:09 pm

Did you get the snack basket? For some reason, it has been very hit or miss on my midcon/transcon flights.
Old Mar 1, 20, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Are you sure you didn't board a UA flight by mistake?
TheStrangerIn29K likes this.
Old Mar 1, 20, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd View Post
Did you get the snack basket? For some reason, it has been very hit or miss on my midcon/transcon flights.
Yes, served about 2 hours out.
Old Mar 1, 20, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd View Post
Ask for it! They have it.
An hour or so before landing, a simple "did they get rid of the snack basket on this route?" works like magic in my experience.
Old Mar 1, 20, 11:37 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Sounds like a PMVX crew!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: