Inflight Service Changes Due to COVID-19

Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Tango
Southwest just discontinued most beverages. I would be surprised if the other airlines do not follow suite. You also to look at the flip side. Dishing out food and drinks are not the real issue here. The real risk is in picking up half eaten meals and items that have come in contact with your mouth. This is not just about you, it is about all of us and what we all can do to help minimize the spread.
Look at what Air Canada has done in international business class: no lounges, no pillows, only water and prepackaged food.
PDXFlyBoy likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Actually Southwest discontinued EVERYTHING but cans of water, and pretzels on longer flights.
PDXFlyBoy likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by jiburi
I was told on my flight JFK-PDX that Digiplayer has been discontinued due to COVID19. This is the first time I've heard this. No confirmation yet from blog but in the interim, time to bring onboard ipad devices.

Jiburi
Same EWR-SAN March 17
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Just off AS1171 DEN-SEA. Load was 16 (full) in F, 46 in Y on a 737-900. Water bottle at my seat, with more offered after takeoff. Soft drinks only (no beer), plus a basket with Tim's potato chips and Lesser Evil popcorn. Plastic cups were offered; I brought a cup of ice from McDonald's (offered for free: thanks!) onboard. We arrived 20 minutes early. Mt. Rainier was beautiful.

pcoll likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:07 pm

Just flew MSO-LAX on a Horizon E175. We were just 6 on the flight, all of us upgraded to F. On board we were offered a full meal, either sandwich or salad. Had the chicken salad. Regular beverage service also including alcoholic beverages.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: TK E+, AS Gold
Currently onboard the redeye SEA-PHL. 4/16 in F.

I was fully expecting no service (via multiple gate announcements) apart from a snack and water/canned beverage, but was surprised when the FA came around saying she had a fruit and cheese plate loaded, asking if we felt comfortable being served.

Also note that cups and ice (only offered in F) were loaded.

Not sure if this is an exception for transcons? My earlier LAS-SEA flight was precisely as advertised: snack basket, no cups or ice, and only water, canned beverages, and beer.

Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Flew trans-con yesterday, one of the more striking things was how many times they tell you they cleaned the plane. After arrival of the inbound jet the GA said it would be a little time as they were "deep" cleaning the plane with hospital grade disinfectants and that the aircraft has a HEPA filter. When we boarded, the FA made the exact same statement and prior to departure the pilot made the same announcement. No food, only prepackaged cookies, chips, etc. Cans of beers and or pop available on request. Everyone took it in stride and the FAs tried to make the best of reduced service in First.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Another thing I forgot to mention from my flight the other day: the "Welcome to First" folder (with its meal and beverage descriptions) and the inflight magazine (also with a meal and beverage section) were both absent. Just the safety card and an airsick bag were in the pocket.

Edited to add that of course removing that could be touched by multiple passengers would do a lot to remove any potential virus-spreaders. A big "duh!" for me!
chrisl137 and be_rettSEA like this.

Last edited by Kurt; Mar 23, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kurt
Another thing I forgot to mention from my flight the other day: the "Welcome to First" folder (with its meal and beverage descriptions) and the inflight magazine (also with a meal and beverage section) were both absent. Just the safety card and an airsick bag were in the pocket.

Edited to add that of course removing that could be touched by multiple passengers would do a lot to remove any potential virus-spreaders. A big "duh!" for me!
I flew LAX-PDX last night and noticed the same thing - nothing but the safety card at the seat. It's true throughout LAX - things like fountain drink machines, condiment packet bins, etc. are all shut down or removed. There are also no-touch hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the terminal.

They provided canned beverages in F, no cups, no food. The pilots did get hot meals and coffee.

The flight itself was maybe half full or a little less, but part of that might have been moved from other flights - I had been booked BUR-PDX but it was cancelled.

Alaska Lounge at LAX still had the no priority pass sign out, but I was number 4 instead of 43. Still didn't quite make it in.

PDX was absolutely quiet on arrival - the terminal was empty at 10:30 pm. The car rental had the tensabarriers set up to keep customers from getting close up to the counter right in front of the terminal that was in use, effectively forcing a ~6 foot separation.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:33 pm

Flew FLL-SEA-PDX yesterday 3/22.

For the first time since being MVPG, we bought saver instead of main fare. Because it's a last-minute ticket (connecting from an international flight out of South America), most elites are already processed for upgrade so F was almost full when we booked. Given recent cut on food and beverage served, we thought it's not worth the extra money just for a premium seat, especially that the plane will be wide empty in the back.

The FLL-SEA leg served a biscuit and only one round of beverage (canned soda only in Y). No food options for purchase, but I did see an FA walking with a snack box, presumably for F. For beverage, announcement says beer is available, and I also saw someone having a sparking wine (and spilled it in the aisle because he shook it too much trying to open).

The SEA-PDX leg had no F&B service at all, which is totally understandable. Oddly enough, before takeoff an FA gave us each a chocolate for MVPG members - a real surprise given current environment. FA seemed confused to find us in row 30, I guess they don't see elites there very often lol.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 7K, MARRIOTT PLAT PREMIER WITH AMBASSADOR
Anyone have any news or timelines how long the food and drink service policies are going to remain? I am guessing at least April 30th, and probably longer to help with cutting costs even after Corona dies down. Totally understand them doing it, but has anyone heard any timeline estimates?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by StephanP37
Anyone have any news or timelines how long the food and drink service policies are going to remain? I am guessing at least April 30th, and probably longer to help with cutting costs even after Corona dies down. Totally understand them doing it, but has anyone heard any timeline estimates?
It will most certainly be longer than April 30th. Aug? Sept? Nov? Who knows.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
I would love to see cans of cold beer get handed out onboard. I enjoy a good beverage to decompress from work. Anyone know of a place in SeaTac Airport to get a stiff drink?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
I would love to see cans of cold beer get handed out onboard. I enjoy a good beverage to decompress from work. Anyone know of a place in SeaTac Airport to get a stiff drink?
I took a look through https://www.seatacshops.com/ and from what I can see, Capitol Hill Food Hall is open in the A terminal with wine and beer, and Skillet is open in N with beer and a full bar. I can't tell from https://blog.alaskaair.com/coronavir...e-our-lounges/ whether alcohol is still served in the Alaska Lounge in D.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
I took a look through https://www.seatacshops.com/ and from what I can see, Capitol Hill Food Hall is open in the A terminal with wine and beer, and Skillet is open in N with beer and a full bar. I can't tell from https://blog.alaskaair.com/coronavir...e-our-lounges/ whether alcohol is still served in the Alaska Lounge in D.
When I was in the D lounge on April 4th, only the top floor was open, no alcohol or hot beverages, bottled water & juices only, a small assortment of pre-packaged snacks, packaged baby carrots & yogurt.

The were serving canned beer in F but not cold & no ice on board. If you take freezer packs with you, you can take them through security as long as they are frozen. You can also take the mini bottles of alcohol (50ml) through security but technically can't consume your own on board. If there is a food outlet past security that has ice, ask them for a cup of ice before boarding. I offered a $1 for the cup & ice which was accepted with a smile.

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.