Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Potential Leniency for Elite Requalification Due to COVID-19?

Old Feb 28, 20, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 75k, Bonvoy Titanium

So, just spitballing here.

My company is about to stop all corporate travel over the COVID-19 situation. I'm a 75k, but clearly if I am not traveling I am not earning BIS miles. Lots of companies are doing similar travel holds.

Anyone want to speculate if AS might get lenient this year on letting folks hold on to status?
Old Feb 28, 20, 1:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
In a worst case scenario... and by that I mean like the CDC or FAA mandating non-essential travel be cancelled, maybe they'd do something. Of course if an epidemic got to the point where it was shutting down our domestic travel, other things would be so bad that the US would devolve into a madmax style post-apocalyptic hellscape (I'm talking Detroit level here). In that case we wouldn't be too worried about our elite status so much as avoiding roaming bands of cannibals.

On a more serious note though... I could see them maybe doing something like the parental leave option, but maybe not for a full year. You could effectively pause & give up your status/earnings for a quarter, and maybe they extend your opportunity to earn into Q1 2021... but then you're on a smaller window to qualify in 2021, so not sure how to compensate for that.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
It could also affect those who have applied for their "one time" status challenge and have the next few months to hit the mark.
Old Feb 28, 20, 3:53 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
It is certainly possible. But some important benefits (e.g. upgrades) are all relative anyway, so it does not really matter if most people get knocked down a tier, except for those that cannot get to MVP at all.

Of course, if there are widespread and long-term disruptions (which I expect is more likely than not at this point), what tier you requalify for is going to be the least of your concerns.
be_rettSEA and eddiehuang97 like this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:01 pm

Maybe time for "Double EQMs" !
notquiteaff and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
I assume it’s not good news for AS that Amazon (and Google) is curtailing domestic travel on top of international travel.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/28/2...an-south-korea

I suspect there will be some double EQM offer later in the year when things have become more stable (but before travel is back to normal levels).
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:48 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by flytoeat View Post
And “Quadruple EQMs” for flights to any areas with documented community transmission of COVID-19.
Old Feb 29, 20, 12:11 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold75k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
I assume it’s not good news for AS that Amazon (and Google) is curtailing domestic travel on top of international travel.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/28/2...an-south-korea.
My company has over 1000 locations in over 100 companies, and so far is only restricting international travel to the restricted countries (where we have many offices) My own division is a very tiny division in the company but all of us travel (our work is where the client product is installed) which means that so far, our domestic travel within the USA is ok, and domestic travel in most of the other countries is ok (Germany, France, UK, Sweden, etc.) with just the routine precautions taken. So, I am still booking my domestic USA travel, just not a dream trip I was going to take for my company to 2 offices in China and one in Hong Kong later this year in June. I noticed that all of a sudden several good seats opened up on a SEA BOS trip I will be taking on Sunday, I wondered if there were folks that cancelled a SEA BOS flight due to the scare since normally I never see seats that were not available open up close to the flight date.
Old Feb 29, 20, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I am inclined to say mostly no.

Because AS is a domestic airline, so unless AS's operation is truly affected, like what the US3 are having right now, the only elite who get impacted are those qualifying with partners.

So I can see Double EQM may be possible for traveling with partners. But AS's own flights? Unlikely.

(Note - we should be happy that AS does not offer something like that, as that means we are relatively safe.)
Old Feb 29, 20, 2:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Au, AA LT Pt (2.9 MM), UA Au (meaningless), HH Au, Wyndham Pt
Originally Posted by garykung View Post

Because AS is a domestic airline, so unless AS's operation is truly affected, like what the US3 are having right now, the only elite who get impacted are those qualifying with partners.

So I can see Double EQM may be possible for traveling with partners. But AS's own flights? Unlikely.

(Note - we should be happy that AS does not offer something like that, as that means we are relatively safe.)
I'm inclined to think you're not paying attention to how this virus has already spread. AS will be affected... soon.
milypan, notquiteaff and bmvaughn like this.
Old Feb 29, 20, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Alaska MVP
I would hope not.

Most people who have any independent cognitive brain function left are still traveling normally.

Yes, if you just do what you’re told, you’re probably locked inside wondering why the grass is greener for everyone else who doesn’t listen to the news or government.

I’ve got trips planned to 6 continents in just the first 6 months of the year, and about 30 countries plus more domestic travel.

Not a single thing has changed for me - nor will it.
I’m still earning my BIS miles every week.

You shouldn’t get a break because you’re scared of something new that you’re being told to worry about.
Old Feb 29, 20, 8:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by garykung View Post

I'm inclined to think you aren't aware just how much Amazon and Microsoft employees fly AS out of SEA for business and have elite status.

"Amazon Tells employees to pause nonessential travel in U.S. due to coronavirus"
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/amaz...ronavirus.html

Regards
Old Feb 29, 20, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 75k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
I'm inclined to think you aren't aware just how much Amazon and Microsoft employees fly AS out of SEA for business and have elite status.
This is my point. I also work in tech and international is banned, domestic is probably coming in a week or so. Since almost all of my revenue travel is for work, it will really hurt my 75k re-qual.
Old Feb 29, 20, 11:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by flytoeat View Post
In the past, the airline industry has tended to run double EQM promotions in years when travel isn’t great for whatever reason, often the economy. If coronavirus continues to suppress global travel like this, the industry might well go that route; seems more likely than trying to divine which individuals’ travel was suppressed by coronavirus and granting individual waivers.

AS may be a bit less directly affected by this than global carriers. But if DL decides to have a double MQM and/or MQD promotion, it would be hard for AS not to match.
Old Feb 29, 20, 11:09 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post

"Amazon Tells employees to pause nonessential travel in U.S. due to coronavirus"
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/amaz...ronavirus.html

Regards
i always find the term “nonessential” a bit funny. If the travel is nonessential, why are you doing it and better yet why is your company paying for it?

Do people have reimburseable travel that their firm considers “nice to have”? That boggles my mind. I travel a lot as a consultant and if I could dial in a meeting rather than fly I would... nothing “nonessential” about that. I’d much rather save the firm the expense.

Maybe “nonessential” refers mostly to conferences and other marketing type events? But even then those should be essential to the success of the firm so I wouldn’t necessarily consider them “nonessential”.

We are locked down from traveling to Asia and some EMEA. With San Fran (some conferences are cancelled) and PNW seeing some non-sourced COVID cases I’m expecting domestic travel to get an intense scrutiny soon...elite qualification is going to be tricky this year lol!

That being said I don’t expect AS to be too lenient...if I don’t travel because of COVID, I don’t expect AS to give me a pass. The FF benefits are what make my insane travel schedule worth it...if I don’t travel I don’t expect the benefits right?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: