Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hur88
Alaska Airlines is waiving change fees both for flights ticketed on or before Feb 26 (for original travel dates until May 31) and for flights ticketed after Feb 26 (for original travel dates until Feb 28, 2021).

Excerpted from the associated FAQ:

What if I used miles? If you used miles to purchase your ticket, for travel in March, we’ll re-deposit the miles in your Mileage Plan account.

What if I used a companion fare? If you cancel your reservations entirely, and if it included a companion certificate, we will reinstate your certificate with original expiration date or June 30, 2020, whichever comes later. Please call Reservations for assistance with canceling tickets using companion certificates

What do I do if I’ve already paid the change fee? If you traveled or are traveling between February 27, 2020 and May 31, 2020 and you were charged an out of pocket change fee, please contact Reservations. We’ll take care of the change fee to your original form of payment.

Print Wikipost

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by _fx
Thought of another: let’s say you have a multi-segment ticket. You want to change segment A but keep segment B. The price of new A is the same as old A, but price of B has gone way up. With option #1, you pay nothing. With #2 you have to pay the new, more expensive fare for B.
I could see #1 beneficial for someone whose itinerary is set in stone and wants to reprice the itinerary for a negative fare differential (refund) without canceling and rebooking at the risk of losing his seat/seat selection. In essence, it would be a change only to the fare component of the original itinerary with a refund of the fare differential already paid, much like the old price gurantee. So as not to allow subsequent repricing, AS has added the provision that only allows one change in that regard.

James
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:41 am

I got option #2 no questions asked and I booked my flight on the 26th.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:33 pm

Twitter - Unexpected Pleasant Surprise

Purchased AS Mileage tickets January for a May trip SEA-HNL. Underlying health issues & age so decided hubby & I were definitely not going.

Tweeted AS asking for consideration of extending the waiver. Within 15 minutes, our tickets were cancelled, refund of fees/taxes to our credit card & miles redeposited back to the account as a "one time courtesy". Miles appeared straight away and advised refund may take a week.

Very impressed, wasn't expecting anything and was going to cancel last minute as necessary.
notquiteaff, NoLaGent and pcoll like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:02 pm

Orlando conference cancelled last minute, ticket booked last October. Tried calling to talk about options but was on hold for an hour so I gave up and sent a Twitter PM. Answered came quickly: unfortunately, need to pay the $125 change fee (submitted for MVPG75 status challenge but not yet approved) to preserve value toward future travel. No health issues brought up, just the conference cancellation.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by MAXII
Purchased AS Mileage tickets January for a May trip SEA-HNL. Underlying health issues & age so decided hubby & I were definitely not going.

Tweeted AS asking for consideration of extending the waiver. Within 15 minutes, our tickets were cancelled, refund of fees/taxes to our credit card & miles redeposited back to the account as a "one time courtesy". Miles appeared straight away and advised refund may take a week.

Very impressed, wasn't expecting anything and was going to cancel last minute as necessary.
We are in almost an exact same situation. Award Flight in June to Europe . We also have underlying health and age issues so we will need to cancel those tickets. Your experience makes us hopeful we will have a good resolution .
MAXII likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Looks like AS has quietly extended refunds (my wallet) to
tickets prior to Feb 26

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...odID:Awareness
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by boycruz
tickets prior to Feb 26

Interesting, and bravo. We'll see if that new piece gets extended past 3/31...

Last edited by NoLaGent; Mar 9, 2020 at 11:34 pm
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:41 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
tickets prior to Feb 26

Yes they have. Glad they decided to do so. Canceled our SEA-PHL flights and will probably put the credit towards Hawaii this summer.
Thanks for coming around AS!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
tickets prior to Feb 26

Good job by AS, only issue as you mentioned it is not highly publicized and confusing for some folks.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Has anyone cancelled an award trip online after the new fee waiver? The regular form is still there with the cancellation fee indicated. Is the fee waived after you click to cancel? That is how it works with Delta, but they advise that is how it will work.

Edited: Never mind. I accomplished the cancellation through Twitter.

Last edited by Richard1148; Mar 10, 2020 at 2:55 pm Reason: No longer need help.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Looks like a conference I had to attend in San Diego at the end of the month is about to cancel, and my spouse was coming with me on a companion cert. The tickets were purchased months ago so only the new waiver option would apply. I had open questions which I direct messaged to Alaska Airlines on Twitter and got the following responses, which may help others here.

Q: Travel begins before the March 31 cutoff, but the return is April 1. I'm assuming the waiver would still apply because the outbound portion of the roundtrip ticket is before the waiver cutoff date?

A: Yes, the waiver will apply if the round trip on the itinerary starts prior to April.

Q: Because my spouse and I are on the same PNR and I paid for both my ticket and the companion fare, I'd be the one getting the flight credit for future travel in My Wallet. I'm assuming that I would get full dollar credit for both of our tickets on the PNR (even though one was a companion fare), but the companion certificate would be lost?

A: Yes, you would receive a credit for the full dollar amount in the form of a credit. To avoid losing your companion fare, you can choose to save the value on the ticket, without depositing it to your wallet. That way when you rebook, you can just use the ticket value and companion fare for the new booking.

Q: If I do decide to save the value on the ticket instead of in MyWallet, does the fee waiver travel with it? In other words, if I choose to use the companion cert and related value later, will there still be no change fee?

A: Yes, there will still be no change fee applied if you choose to save the value to the ticket.

If I ultimately decide to split the PNR so only the companion cert and its value are saved to one of the two tickets and the regular non-discounted ticket's value is deposited in My Wallet, that will require either calling or texting a CSR. But I may not bother, as the companion cert's original expiration date may make it a brown banana. Better to get the dollar credit at this point.

Alaska Airlines responded very quickly and thoroughly on Twitter, too. It was impressive, and appreciated.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Mar 10, 2020 at 2:48 pm Reason: Added AS' responses to the questions
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the tip. Their response time was amazingly fast, and they agreed to cancel at no charge.
MAXII likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:07 pm

We just tried to do the same. Told by AS, they only offer waiver for travel to end of this month. So, sorry. NO no extending waiver for us.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by pcoll
We just tried to do the same. Told by AS, they only offer waiver for travel to end of this month. So, sorry. NO no extending waiver for us.
HUCA LOTA (Log off tweet again?)
MAXII and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
HUCA LOTA (Log off tweet again?)
Good idea. 😊 thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.