Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hur88
Alaska Airlines is waiving change fees both for flights ticketed on or before Feb 26 (for original travel dates until May 31) and for flights ticketed after Feb 26 (for original travel dates until Feb 28, 2021).

Excerpted from the associated FAQ:

What if I used miles? If you used miles to purchase your ticket, for travel in March, we’ll re-deposit the miles in your Mileage Plan account.

What if I used a companion fare? If you cancel your reservations entirely, and if it included a companion certificate, we will reinstate your certificate with original expiration date or June 30, 2020, whichever comes later. Please call Reservations for assistance with canceling tickets using companion certificates

What do I do if I’ve already paid the change fee? If you traveled or are traveling between February 27, 2020 and May 31, 2020 and you were charged an out of pocket change fee, please contact Reservations. We’ll take care of the change fee to your original form of payment.

Print Wikipost

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH/SPG Peonium, Natl, Bud, Oregon Wines on Broadway Wineaux
Right on - thank you!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Can anyone speak to how the change/cancellation fee waiver works if you book your ticket through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal? Asking since I know Alaska basically can't make any changes to the tickets ever since the UR portal switched over to Expedia.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Can anyone speak to how the change/cancellation fee waiver works if you book your ticket through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal? Asking since I know Alaska basically can't make any changes to the tickets ever since the UR portal switched over to Expedia.
I'm not sure if it is the same or not, but I have successfully changed a flight booked through Amex travel. I did it all online with AS and there were no fees associated.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ashill
In both cases it does seem you have to call. I tried to cancel a companion fare trip for this Friday online and was warned that the companion certificate would be forfeited (the normal policy), and Twitter confirmed that I need to call and sit on hold to get the new companion certificate issued. But still, ^ to Alaska.
I just completed this cancellation via text message to 82008. It was about a 1.5 hour wait, but didn't need to sit on the phone or wait for (and miss!) a callback.

I forget that you can no longer do reservation-related stuff by Twitter but can by SMS.

All in all, I appreciate Alaska's flexibility here.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:28 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
“More than 3 hour hold/call back” time on AK Air priority line.

I can only imagine the wait time on the regular line.

:-((

DUT
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by DUT
“More than 3 hour hold/call back” time on AK Air priority line.

I can only imagine the wait time on the regular line.

:-((

DUT
Regular line said more than 3 hours this morning. I got a call back in about 2.5 hours, but missed it in the three minutes I was away from my phone. Argh! Fortunately, texting reservations eventually worked.

(My profile is out of date; I am now status-less.)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Last night it said 3 hours, early this morning (7 am) it said 4-7 MINUTES so I waited on hold, actually took 28 minutes (which wasn't too bad). I have to say every airline, hotel, etc. I've called have been remarkably nice, unflustered, and efficient. It is what it is.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Since March Madness tournament is off, I'm going to cancel my trip to Vegas next weekend. There's literally going to be no sports to bet on!

I'm going to have to call in though, I used a $150 voucher (from an 8 hour delay) to cover part of the airfare. I know that normally those vouchers are use & lose, which is why I used it on a trip I had all confidence I would NEVER cancel (I love this annual trip) - but these are extraordinary times.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS, WN, UA
I searched "forfeit discount code" but didn't see anything come up; forgive me if this is a repeat. I did see the bit about Companion Fares that are expiring not being reissued with a cancellation, but was wondering about other discount codes. I have an e-cert after a disastrous previous flight that I applied in Feb for an upcoming trip in March. That trip is now off but it looks like if I cancel the trip I still need to check a box agreeing that I am forfeiting the discount code. No way around that? It wouldn't have expired until August.

Tried calling Customer Care but got the "more than 3 hours" hold. Hopefully I catch it when they call back. Thoughts, tips, just out of luck?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:26 pm

Had an award ticket which I redeemed for 140k for round trip first class to Australia . Due to the free one way add on I have the remainder of the award ticket from LAX to YVR

how many points should be deposited back in my account when I cancel ?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I think LAX-YVR is 25k in low F; if so, I’d expect you will get 115k back
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Alaska has always been kind and reissued e-certs for me when plans change. Ask nicely. They’ll probably reissue for you.
bayareafamily likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
"Flexible travel policy: We are waiving all change and cancellation fees for travel through April 30, 2020."
ashill and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Looks like a conference I had to attend in San Diego at the end of the month is about to cancel, and my spouse was coming with me on a companion cert. The tickets were purchased months ago so only the new waiver option would apply. I had open questions which I direct messaged to Alaska Airlines on Twitter and got the following responses, which may help others here.

Q: Travel begins before the March 31 cutoff, but the return is April 1. I'm assuming the waiver would still apply because the outbound portion of the roundtrip ticket is before the waiver cutoff date?

A: Yes, the waiver will apply if the round trip on the itinerary starts prior to April.

Q: Because my spouse and I are on the same PNR and I paid for both my ticket and the companion fare, I'd be the one getting the flight credit for future travel in My Wallet. I'm assuming that I would get full dollar credit for both of our tickets on the PNR (even though one was a companion fare), but the companion certificate would be lost?

A: Yes, you would receive a credit for the full dollar amount in the form of a credit. To avoid losing your companion fare, you can choose to save the value on the ticket, without depositing it to your wallet. That way when you rebook, you can just use the ticket value and companion fare for the new booking.

Q: If I do decide to save the value on the ticket instead of in MyWallet, does the fee waiver travel with it? In other words, if I choose to use the companion cert and related value later, will there still be no change fee?

A: Yes, there will still be no change fee applied if you choose to save the value to the ticket.

If I ultimately decide to split the PNR so only the companion cert and its value are saved to one of the two tickets and the regular non-discounted ticket's value is deposited in My Wallet, that will require either calling or texting a CSR. But I may not bother, as the companion cert's original expiration date may make it a brown banana. Better to get the dollar credit at this point.

Alaska Airlines responded very quickly and thoroughly on Twitter, too. It was impressive, and appreciated.
I think that is what the CSR was trying to tell me over the phone but I was too much of a noob to know what she was saying. Just to clarify, how does one "save the value of the ticket" by not having the funds deposited? And what are the parameters of using it later?

Originally Posted by nearlysober
For anyone trying to cancel outside the official window - if AS is currently telling you they cannot waive fees, then do not cancel now. There's no benefit to cancelling early and paying fees, and there's no penalty for waiting longer to see if the situation changes. The cancellation period could be extended in the future to cover your needs.
Yup that is why I am just going to sit...and see what happens for June.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
I don't see it highlighted, but the Alaska blog post describing the new waiver policy, including for tickets issued before Feb 26, has some very customer friendly policies:

In both cases it does seem you have to call. I tried to cancel a companion fare trip for this Friday online and was warned that the companion certificate would be forfeited (the normal policy), and Twitter confirmed that I need to call and sit on hold to get the new companion certificate issued. But still, ^ to Alaska.
That is an awesome development. I now just have to wait to see how things play out and if/when the waiver extends into June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.