Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hur88
Alaska Airlines is waiving change fees both for flights ticketed on or before Feb 26 (for original travel dates until May 31) and for flights ticketed after Feb 26 (for original travel dates until Feb 28, 2021).

Excerpted from the associated FAQ:

What if I used miles? If you used miles to purchase your ticket, for travel in March, we’ll re-deposit the miles in your Mileage Plan account.

What if I used a companion fare? If you cancel your reservations entirely, and if it included a companion certificate, we will reinstate your certificate with original expiration date or June 30, 2020, whichever comes later. Please call Reservations for assistance with canceling tickets using companion certificates

What do I do if I’ve already paid the change fee? If you traveled or are traveling between February 27, 2020 and May 31, 2020 and you were charged an out of pocket change fee, please contact Reservations. We’ll take care of the change fee to your original form of payment.

Print Wikipost

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2020, 9:25 am

Hmm I was getting ready to pull the trigger on Feb tickets to Hawaii to fall into cancel window (no status). But guess I have another month to sit on my money!
Old May 31, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS
Just cancelled two flights scheduled in July. Purchases were made May 19 and May 22. Noticed that when amounts were deposited into My Wallet, the expiration dates were date of purchase plus 1 year. Not travel date or date cancelled. Not sure if this is how AS is doing it now or it was always this way.
Old May 31, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
Just cancelled two flights scheduled in July. Purchases were made May 19 and May 22. Noticed that when amounts were deposited into My Wallet, the expiration dates were date of purchase plus 1 year. Not travel date or date cancelled. Not sure if this is how AS is doing it now or it was always this way.
It has always been that way. The ticket has a one-year validity from the date of purchase. If you cancel your ticket, the funds you spent at booking will go to your wallet good for 1 year from the purchase date. Unless, of course, you are a no-show in which case the funds are forfeited. In the case of vouchers, AS has been reissuing new vouchers good for 1 year from the cancellation date; normally those would be forfeited.

James
pcoll likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Does the wavier apply to a flight that has an AA leg, that is booked though AS? The verbiage about ticketing airline has me a bit confused.
Doesn't matter to me as I'm MVPG, but a friend wants to book a potential trip for later this year, and obviously we're all unsure if it'll be safe & reasonable to take unnecessary travel at the time.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
Does the wavier apply to a flight that has an AA leg, that is booked though AS? The verbiage about ticketing airline has me a bit confused.
Doesn't matter to me as I'm MVPG, but a friend wants to book a potential trip for later this year, and obviously we're all unsure if it'll be safe & reasonable to take unnecessary travel at the time.
If the flight is purchased from AS, AS is the ticketing airline. AS can sell you a ticket on DL as can DL sell you a ticket on AS. What AS is referring to is the latter case. If DL was the ticketing airline then the waivers in place from AS would not be applicable and you would be bound by DL ticketing rules and/or waivers. Conversely, an AS ticketed flight on DL would fall under AS ticketing rules and/or waivers.

In your example with a AS and a leg on AA, AS is ticketing the AA segment on their own ticket stock and will have a ticket number starting with 027, not 001. Similarly, an AS award ticketed on a partner will still have an 027 ticket number.

James
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:13 pm

So refund is a credit for use within one year of purchase. Main fares give you the option to change. Can that be pushed to one year from travel dates?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
So refund is a credit for use within one year of purchase. Main fares give you the option to change. Can that be pushed to one year from travel dates?
A refund is monetary exchange of the ticket value to the original form of payment. If you have the ticket emailed to you to apply the value later to a new ticket (less any fees, if applicable) or take a travel voucher which goes to your wallet, the value is good for one year from the ticketing date, after which, if not used, is forfeited.

AS had extended wallet credit expiry dates through 7/5/2021 but I am not sure if they are still actively doing that. If they are, the latest you could apply the emailed ticket/wallet funds would be 7/5/2021 even if your travel date is later.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 3, 2020 at 11:31 pm
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

AS had extended wallet credit expiry dates through 7/5/2021 but I am not sure if they are still actively doing that. If they are, the latest you could apply the emailed ticket/wallet funds would be 7/5/2021 even if your travel date is later.

James
The option to extend expiry date to 7/5/21 is still listed under AS Waiver Policies. My cancellations were not posted as such. They had ticketing date plus 1 year. I guess I will call and ask that they be extended as per policy. Did have others automatically post as July 5, 2021. That was the reason for my confusion regarding wallet credit expiration dates.
UPDATE: No Need for me to call. Just logged into MP account and Wallet Expiration Dates now show all are July 5, 2021.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by pcoll; Jun 4, 2020 at 11:47 am
Old Jun 8, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It will be a reissue, not a reinstatement so the validity will be extended to 1 year from the reissue date. I didn't use the full value of my $25 certificate (2×LAX-LAS-LAX @ $10.50 base fare return) but they still reissued the full $25 value.

James
I have a $150 discount code due to delay compensation. If I use it to book for two ppl in the same reservation, the $200/person ticket price would be split as $125 new charge + $75 discount.
if I end up cancelling the tickets, will I receive $250 wallet fund in my account + reinstated $150 discount code, or $125 wallet fund + $75 discount under each passenger's name?
Also, the discount code expires on 8/1/2020. If the cancellation happens after that, would it still be reinstated?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I haven’t been closely following this thread so apologies for the noob question.

is there any reason in the current waiver to not speculatively book award tickets for dates in October, besides the obvious issue of having the miles and fees tied up? We may travel depending on the situation by then and low level F tickets are available on our dates and routes.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Does the waiver apply to award tickets booked on partner airlines? I currently have an award booking on Fiji Airways I made last night. I'm not 100% sure I can make the trip so have about ~12 hours left to cancel unless the waiver applies. Travel date is Feb 2021.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by mangoMan
Does the waiver apply to award tickets booked on partner airlines? I currently have an award booking on Fiji Airways I made last night. I'm not 100% sure I can make the trip so have about ~12 hours left to cancel unless the waiver applies. Travel date is Feb 2021.
Official policy doesn't mention travel must be on Alaska metal - just that ticket is issued on AS ticket stock (ticket number starts w/ 027). You may have to call to make changes or cancel later (instead of doing so directly on AS website) to avoid the fee, but sounds like it would qualify for the waiver based on booking date. You may want to call and confirm the policy just to be sure.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Official policy doesn't mention travel must be on Alaska metal - just that ticket is issued on AS ticket stock (ticket number starts w/ 027). You may have to call to make changes or cancel later (instead of doing so directly on AS website) to avoid the fee, but sounds like it would qualify for the waiver based on booking date. You may want to call and confirm the policy just to be sure.
Thanks. I tweeted Alaska and they pointed me to the same thing. Tickets are "027" so I guess I should be OK.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 2:11 pm

So the partner award fee is now refundable?
Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold 1MM (the unfriendly sky), Marriott Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz no longer
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So the partner award fee is now refundable?
I canceled an award ticket last week and they refunded me the award partner fee without even me asking for it.
pcoll likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.