Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hur88
Alaska Airlines is waiving change fees both for flights ticketed on or before Feb 26 (for original travel dates until May 31) and for flights ticketed after Feb 26 (for original travel dates until Feb 28, 2021).

Excerpted from the associated FAQ:

What if I used miles? If you used miles to purchase your ticket, for travel in March, we’ll re-deposit the miles in your Mileage Plan account.

What if I used a companion fare? If you cancel your reservations entirely, and if it included a companion certificate, we will reinstate your certificate with original expiration date or June 30, 2020, whichever comes later. Please call Reservations for assistance with canceling tickets using companion certificates

What do I do if I’ve already paid the change fee? If you traveled or are traveling between February 27, 2020 and May 31, 2020 and you were charged an out of pocket change fee, please contact Reservations. We’ll take care of the change fee to your original form of payment.

Print Wikipost

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:49 am

Now saver is no longer saver, as it is refundable once.
I guess something broke the basic economy concept
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Wow 40 minutes hold time for Alaska as an MVP
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Anyone else using the new deals to cancel and re-book their currently planned trips to save some money? So many cheaper flights now. And MVPG have no change fees anyways. These are all personal trips.

This is how I spend my time when I'm stuck at home for the next 14 days.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by boycruz
Wow 40 minutes hold time for Alaska as an MVP
I tried to use the chat option, a window opens and it says welcome to chat...and when I type, my messages pop up, but nothing comes back from the other end. I could have sworn in the past they would tell you if they were waiting for an agent to come online.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bellerina
Anyone else using the new deals to cancel and re-book their currently planned trips to save some money? So many cheaper flights now. And MVPG have no change fees anyways. These are all personal trips.

This is how I spend my time when I'm stuck at home for the next 14 days.
I have a schedule change that affected my booking for 06/01/2020-06/10/2020. The time difference could allow me to request a refund, the only issue is that I have a companion certificate attached to the reservation (two of them as my wife has one too) and so I am not sure if I will get my certificate back. Right now, if I can cancel (keep my companion) and rebook, I would probably save about $100 total. If I can convince my wife to be willing to do a stop-over in SEA on the return instead of going straight SAN-HNL, then I can save $240 total. Unlike you, I am not laid up for 14 days, but IMO, it takes a little bit of time, and should be all computer work so it would be "free" money.
NoLaGent and Bellerina like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Bellerina
Yup, quickly rebooked a work trip at end of April. I don't really expect to take it at this point, but can't hurt.

We understand that everyone is in a different place when it comes to what is best for you and your family. Just recently, Dr. Robert Redfield, Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said “I just want to echo again that the risk is low—the risk is low. I encourage Americans to go about their life. That includes travel to California, Oregon and the state of Washington.”
Looked up the quote — by "just recently" he means Feb 29. At that point the Seattle area had 1 confirmed case and 0 deaths. Now they're at 69 confirmed cases and 10 deaths. But who is really keeping count?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Had to cancel my daughter's tickets because her school canceled the trip because of CoVid19. She's MVP. This policy helped. Thanks Alaska
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
What an absolutely ridiculous policy. What possible logic is there in waiving restrictions based on booking date? Tried to cancel two SEA-PHL tix for 3/12 due to paranoid folks in PHL canceling a meeting. They were booked mid February. Was told that the cancelation fee would apply. If they had been booked after the 27th, no problem. I'm not as frequent an AS flyer as I was during the DL partnership, so they won't miss my meager contribution to their bottom line, but those are the last tickets I'll be buying from them.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
What an absolutely ridiculous policy. What possible logic is there in waiving restrictions based on booking date? Tried to cancel two SEA-PHL tix for 3/12 due to paranoid folks in PHL canceling a meeting. They were booked mid February.
I can help you with that.

If they already have your money, there is no need for them to incentivize the purchase. You have the added bargaining power of already having paid. If anything they want to incentivize you not to cancel.

If they do not yet have your money, they need to incentivize your purchase, particularly given the massive uncertainty out there. Hence the change fee waiver for new tickets.

DL’s policy is, as I understand it, more accommodating.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Had to cancel my daughter's tickets because her school canceled the trip because of CoVid19. She's MVP. This policy helped. Thanks Alaska
i have already flown my outbound
and wanted to change my return earlier as a MVP
they wanted change fee plus change in fare
(flight was 30 percent full)
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
I have a trip to DC in May. I repriced it and the new fare is $80 cheaper; however, if I cancel my old itinerary, I will lose the $75 customer appreciate cert so it ends up being $5 cheaper.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I was reviewing the terms of the waiver and had a question about the following clause:
If you purchase a nonrefundable First Class or Main fare between February 27, 2020 and March 31, 2020 for travel through February 28, 2021, you may:

1. Make a one-time change with no change fee. New travel must be completed by February 28, 2021. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary.
2. Cancel your trip and deposit the funds into My Account wallet.

It seemed odd to me to offer option #1 at all. Under what circumstances would you be better off exercising option #1 rather than option #2 ? If you exercise option #1 , aren't you are locked into your changed itinerary with no further opportunity to change or cancel it without the change fee being imposed (assuming you aren't MVPG or 75k)? In contrast, if you exercise option #2 , and then use the deposited funds to book an itinerary that reflects the changes you wanted to make, won't that get treated as an entirely new purchase, thus "resetting the clock" on the change/cancellation policy? In other words, won't you have at least 24 hours to change or cancel it again without incurring a change fee, or even more if you do it by March 31st?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:39 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf93
I was reviewing the terms of the waiver and had a question about the following clause:
If you purchase a nonrefundable First Class or Main fare between February 27, 2020 and March 31, 2020 for travel through February 28, 2021, you may:

1. Make a one-time change with no change fee. New travel must be completed by February 28, 2021. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary.
2. Cancel your trip and deposit the funds into My Account wallet.

It seemed odd to me to offer option #1 at all. Under what circumstances would you be better off exercising option #1 rather than option #2 ? If you exercise option #1 , aren't you are locked into your changed itinerary with no further opportunity to change or cancel it without the change fee being imposed (assuming you aren't MVPG or 75k)? In contrast, if you exercise option #2 , and then use the deposited funds to book an itinerary that reflects the changes you wanted to make, won't that get treated as an entirely new purchase, thus "resetting the clock" on the change/cancellation policy? In other words, won't you have at least 24 hours to change or cancel it again without incurring a change fee, or even more if you do it by March 31st?
I generally agree with you, but here’s one edge-case scenario where #1 makes more sense: technically it can take up to 7 days for the wallet funds to deposit. Usually it’s instant, but on rare occasion I’ve seen it take the full 7 days. During that time the price of your new ticket could change. So if you absolutely cannot afford risking having to pay cash for the flight, #1 is better.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:43 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Thought of another: let’s say you have a multi-segment ticket. You want to change segment A but keep segment B. The price of new A is the same as old A, but price of B has gone way up. With option #1, you pay nothing. With #2 you have to pay the new, more expensive fare for B.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k
Originally Posted by _fx
I generally agree with you, but here’s one edge-case scenario where #1 makes more sense: technically it can take up to 7 days for the wallet funds to deposit. Usually it’s instant, but on rare occasion I’ve seen it take the full 7 days. During that time the price of your new ticket could change. So if you absolutely cannot afford risking having to pay cash for the flight, #1 is better.
I noticed that the only time it was not instant was from having booked a flight with a mix of a credit card and wallet funds, then cancelling within the 24 hour refundability period. Took 3 days to see the wallet funds re-deposited back into my wallet. I asked an Alaska rep about it and was told because it involved a refund to a credit card, it was sent to an account/billing department to issue the refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.