Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Why sick passengers still on Alaska Airplanes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

On alaska air 20, ie seatac to Ord on Wednesday Feb 26 which departed at 820 am, the lady in 6F was obviously sick and was coughing and sniffling the entire flight. Why do people risk spreading the virus or flu to an entire airplane?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by biztraveler2007
On alaska air 20, ie seatac to Ord on Wednesday Feb 26 which departed at 820 am, the lady in 6F was obviously sick and was coughing and sniffling the entire flight. Why do people risk spreading the virus or flu to an entire airplane?
Why do airlines charge people to cancel/change their tickets when the passenger is sick? Why do employers not provide sick days to employees?
KevPNW, billgris, ashill and 17 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
What did she say when you asked her?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
What did she say when you asked her?
Lol. Perfect.
Kathy_marie and KevPNW like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Apparently the pax really wanted their miles.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trying to get home perhaps?
Did anyone offer her a mask?
KevPNW, estnet and Kathy_marie like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:11 pm

Honesty, it's a tough call. I have had allergy days where people definitely could have (incorrectly) assumed I was a contagion. As an outside observer we do not have all the data.

Checking for fever helps to identify problematic travellers, but there are contagious things where one is not febrile.

Banning sniffling and coughing is not realistic unfortunately.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Why do airlines charge people to cancel/change their tickets when the passenger is sick? Why do employers not provide sick days to employees?
It is this.
KevPNW and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Employers usually do provide sick days. It is paid sick leave that not all employers offer. But that may soon be here after Bernie Sanders is elected. He'll give Free Medicare, Free College, Free Medical Debt Relief, Free Student Loan Forgiveness, Free Child Care, Free Housing to the Homeless, Free Sick Leave, Free Condoms and Tampons, all paid for by the Rich.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 11:09 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
When I had the flu in January (not Covid-19), my doctor told me that as soon as my fever broke, I wasn't contagious but I was still sniffling and coughing for a week. I apparently should have asked Flyertalk instead because posters like you are clearly the experts on "spreading the virus" (sic).
Old Feb 27, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Someone’s got to spread these viruses.
Emeraldcity and Rifleman69 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:01 am

Why do people assume that anyone "coughing and sniffling" has the latest well advertised virus? Or flu? Ever heard of allergies? Common cold?

Obviously sick? Wow... why do people do a medical degree...when random people can diagnose illness as contagious by sight...and from a distance?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:17 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Employers usually do provide sick days. It is paid sick leave that not all employers offer. But that may soon be here after Bernie Sanders is elected. He'll give Free Medicare, Free College, Free Medical Debt Relief, Free Student Loan Forgiveness, Free Child Care, Free Housing to the Homeless, Free Sick Leave, Free Condoms and Tampons, all paid for by the Rich.
Ummm, that's not how it works
spamman808 and Bellerina like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Why do employers not provide sick days to employees?
Because they usually lie and use sick days as vacation?

Have you looked at the data and seen the number of sick days employees take that are a Monday or Friday?

It’s an overwhelming percentage - and an open secret.

So, yeah, the knife cuts both ways chief. See it every day.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:34 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: Closed and some off-topic posts will probably be deleted. Please continue any coronavirus discussions in OMNI.

dayone, AS Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.