Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Canceling and re-booking partner award: online or call?

Old Feb 26, 20, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan

We have tickets to Italy on BA in Club World for early March, booked with our AS miles. The tix are one-way. We have decided to skip Italy and go elsewhere, a week later. We would be changing the departure airport as well as the date of travel, but there are tickets in Club World on possible dates available.

is there any reason I should not just book the new outbound trip and then cancel the existing booking, all online? We have enough miles to make the new booking without re-deposit of the miles from the cancelled trip. It seems like the quickest and most efficient, but am I missing anything? I assume the phone agent would not be able to waive the change fee.

Thanks for your help. I am feeling a little frazzled with the fast-moving situation ( I won't say the c word) and could use a little reassurance.
Old Feb 26, 20, 3:06 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
yes. partner award fee is not refundable. so u would spend 12.5 USD per ticket more
Old Feb 29, 20, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Calling may get an understanding agent, especially if changing destinations. Plus you don't have to pay the partner fee a second time. Good luck ^

Where is the alternate location?
Old Mar 1, 20, 1:38 am

Programs: AS 75K
With my recent CS experience today with partner award bookings, Iíd recommend canceling and rebooking if it is a simple transaction. Your risk of the agent mucking things up is too high.

I called today to add a short domestic segment to the start of my itin. What should have been a simple yes or no transaction (there either was space or wasnít) turned into a nightmare. She accidentally deleted my international flight in the process AND the added domestic segment also didnít take.

So, now I currently have a 55k mile SFO-SEA hop in coach and currently no flight to get stateside from Australia.
Old Mar 1, 20, 2:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by enzian View Post

[...]

is there any reason I should not just book the new outbound trip and then cancel the existing booking, all online? We have enough miles to make the new booking without re-deposit of the miles from the cancelled trip. It seems like the quickest and most efficient, but am I missing anything? I assume the phone agent would not be able to waive the change fee.

Thanks for your help. I am feeling a little frazzled with the fast-moving situation ( I won't say the c word) and could use a little reassurance.
Whether online or by phone, your existing reservation can be changed. That will save you the $12.50 partner booking fee over canceling and rebooking plus a new charge for fees & taxes while you await the refund of what you have already paid. Online will follow policy with respect to change/cancel fees and waivers while an agent who has been empowered may offer relief given that you want to change instead of outright cancel. It never hurts to respectfully ask and accept the first response. Your partner Record locator should remain the same after any changes even if to another OW carrier.

I am currently in Sydney and have an award to fly back to LAX next week. I have made 5 changes to my itinerary since I booked it a few months back, including dates, times & carriers. I was originally going to fly PER-HKG-LAX in CX J/F but I am on a Southern Caribbean cruise in less than 3 weeks and would be denied boarding it I transitted HKG. I changed to a QF SYD-BNE-LAX in J/PE for a day earlier than I wanted. 4 hours later a BNE-LAX J opened up on the day I wanted to fly so I changed it again and now flying SYD-BNE-LAX in J/J.

While the $12.50 partner booking fee is non-refundable outside of 24 hours from booking as beckoa mentioned. AS has waived the booking fee for me when the only way to upgrade my J seat to F on one segment of an F award was to completely start fresh and cancel the original award.

I find AS customer service and their agents to be very knowledgeable and proficient. In cases where they are not sure, they always seek assistance or tranfer me to someone who can assist in my specific needs.

I wouldn't hesitate to call AS and ask for assistance with changing your current reservation.

James

Search this Thread
Search Engine: