Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Impossible to find business class to Europe this September?

Old Feb 26, 20, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gold 75K

I'm looking to use my AS miles to fly business or first to Europe this September, from either SFO or SEA, for a reasonable price. City in Europe is somewhat flexible. I see lots of mixed itineraries but they include a short hop within the US in first, then a long flight to Europe in Coach. Is there anyway to filter out the mixed itineraries, or should I just assume that's all that's available?

I'd like to avoid BA for $120,000 miles plus $2000, or Aer Lingus for 560,000 miles.
Old Feb 26, 20, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep checking every day, multiple times per day. Last year I found an EI business class flight BOS-DUB-BRS for 60,000 about six months before departure.
Old Feb 26, 20, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
That doesn't really leave you much to work with if you don't want to fly British or Aer Lingus.
Old Feb 26, 20, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by jsguyrus View Post
That doesn't really leave you much to work with if you don't want to fly British or Aer Lingus.
LOL, try to find American F I guess, since AA and BA are literally the only F options to fly three cabin F to Europe with AS miles. LOL Good luck. AA doesn't make longhaul F available.

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Right now AA also has married segment logic to Europe in J that AS can't deal with (because AA is preferentially giving it to their own customers outside hubs).
Old Feb 26, 20, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star
EI standard awards from west coast is impossible these days. If you donít want to fly BA thereís really no options from the west coast. If you can endure a reposition flight in AS F to the East coast and there are some availabilities w/ EI, AY

Last edited by eddiehuang97; Feb 26, 20 at 1:47 pm
Old Feb 26, 20, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97 View Post
EI standard awards from west coast is impossible these days. If you donít want to fly BA thereís really no options from the west coast. If you can endure a reposition flight in AS F there are some availabilities w/ EI, AY
youíre right - EI awards are very difficult with AS miles. I wouldnít hold my breath for one to become available.

If you are interested in west coast to Europe business class availability, EI is a great option when booked with avios, transferred from MR and UR. The further out it is booked, the better. I just booked one for September.

Itís probably best to not rely on AS miles for J travel to Europe if youíre not willing to fly BA. Particularly in the high season.
Old Feb 26, 20, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS 75k, SEA-BOS expert level 2000
I'm sure I'll get some razzing but Condor has business class availability sea-FRA on 9/24. We'll see if they are still around by then. I have an award flight booked with them earlier in September. Angled lay flat but better than coach in my opinion.
Old Feb 26, 20, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsguyrus View Post
Yes indeed.
AA forum. AA to Europe---> Where exactly does AA fly to Europe? Which routes have good business seats?
AA married award segment is an issue
Originally Posted by Spiffieman View Post
I'm sure I'll get some razzing but Condor has business class availability sea-FRA on 9/24. We'll see if they are still around by then. I have an award flight booked with them earlier in September. Angled lay flat but better than coach in my opinion.
As Condor have been purchased by the owners of LOT would expect them to be still around. How long they will be a ff partner of AS is open to question. Will depend on the new Condor owners. However would expect any AS award to be honoured.
Old Feb 26, 20, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Finding First or Business awards to Europe
Mileage Plan Award Tickets to Europe - Any Secrets to Share?
Alaska Partners to Europe
Anywhere in Europe search?
Why Doesn't AS Offer Filtering of Mixed Cabin Awards?
Old Feb 26, 20, 4:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Condor Business is perfectly comfortable way to get to Europe
Old Feb 26, 20, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k, SEA-BOS expert level 2000
Originally Posted by brentyb View Post
Condor Business is perfectly comfortable way to get to Europe
Yup. I totally agree . I've just seen a lot of people not impressed on here. We flew sea-fra last year and enjoyed it and we'll be doing it again in September.
Old Feb 26, 20, 8:21 pm

Programs: AS, BA, VS, AC, AA, AV, KE, SQ, UA | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Spiffieman View Post
+1 for the Condor recommendation! They are the easiest to find with low fees and Frankfurt is easy to get to/from your true destination.

Also, Finnair is an option (spotty availability, to be honest) but they don't allow partners to access Business Class seats until two months before departure.
Old Feb 27, 20, 1:04 am

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), DL GM (ST E+), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
At the pace coronavirus is spreading, it's not unlikely that TATL demand will be very soft this summer (i.e. lots of last minute award availability). I hope I'm wrong on this prediction, but I think you're best off waiting until you find an itinerary you're genuinely happy with.
Old Feb 27, 20, 2:46 am

Programs: Alaska
There is Europe-DUB-IAD-SFO for 60K for Aer Lingus. Not many, but there are some in September.

e.g.

Old Feb 27, 20, 11:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP/Gold
I know you say SEA or SFO but there are several on Alaska / Emirates to Athens via EWR on Emirates in business from PDX in very early October in business on the transatlantic part, and premium on the Alaska flight (call in and ask for it) for 105k and $39. Even some days with two seats together. I know, I just booked two and there are more.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: