Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CUN-SEA diverted to LAX on 2/15

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Huh, wintertime and towards the edge of range going westbound into the jet stream. The flight paths are broadly similar.

Survey says.... fuel diversion and going to an AS crew base so they can swap crews once people time out.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Good guesses about fuel.

DL732 CUN-SEA also diverted to SLC on 2/8 (and only 1 hour late, because it's much more direct diversion). No other diversions for Delta on this route with same aircraft type 737-800.

Perhaps Delta is a bit more lucky or had a smaller load of pax/cargo on bad days?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AntonS
Good guesses about fuel.

DL732 CUN-SEA also diverted to SLC on 2/8 (and only 1 hour late, because it's much more direct diversion). No other diversions for Delta on this route with same aircraft type 737-800.

Perhaps Delta is a bit more lucky or had a smaller load of pax/cargo on bad days?
"Only 1 hour late" sounds like the pax didn't clear @ SLC, and were on the plane the entire time.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:31 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
"Only 1 hour late" sounds like the pax didn't clear @ SLC, and were on the plane the entire time.
During the first Gulf War, I flew a TWA 747-100 from LHR to LAX (the longer range 747-200's were mobilized by the military). We had to stop for refueling at LAS (the original flight plan had a refueling stop in YWG). We were not allowed off the plane at LAS, an agent was stationed at the aircraft door. We cleared immigration and customs at LAX.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:23 am

Well, hopefully the 737 Max will solve this problem, as well as the winter head winds, Hawaii problem soon enough!
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Its still not clear why not to land in SLC, DEN or any other airport along the route, refuel without clearing immigration and continue to SEA with minimal delay. Crew probably overnights in CUN ayway before flying back, so crew timeout is not likely an issue here.

​​​​​​Of course if something goes wrong and quick turnaround becomes longer than expected, its a bigger logistical problem for AS if it happens in a city without spare crew aircraft / maintanence, but maybe still worth the risk?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
During the first Gulf War, I flew a TWA 747-100 from LHR to LAX (the longer range 747-200's were mobilized by the military). We had to stop for refueling at LAS (the original flight plan had a refueling stop in YWG). We were not allowed off the plane at LAS, an agent was stationed at the aircraft door. We cleared immigration and customs at LAX.
Rues have changed since the 1990s, particularly in years after 9/11.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Its still not clear why not to land in SLC, DEN or any other airport along the route, refuel without clearing immigration and continue to SEA with minimal delay. Crew probably overnights in CUN ayway before flying back, so crew timeout is not likely an issue here.

​​​​​​Of course if something goes wrong and quick turnaround becomes longer than expected, its a bigger logistical problem for AS if it happens in a city without spare crew aircraft / maintanence, but maybe still worth the risk?
Perhaps SLC's customers facility closes at some point in the evening, while LAX still has scheduled flights for customs.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Of course if something goes wrong and quick turnaround becomes longer than expected, its a bigger logistical problem for AS if it happens in a city without spare crew aircraft / maintanence, but maybe still worth the risk?
SLC or DEN AS would be completely hosed, almost like what happens when there's a divert on the East Coast to someplace like BUF. LAX not so much.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:07 am

I was on the flight

Originally Posted by flytoeat
You could certainly try, but if the flight number remains the same, typically no credit for intermediate stop.
I received miles for Cancun to LAX, and also LAX to SEA.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theamy1
​​​​​​How was it handled? Did you learn about diversion mid flight or before departure? Did you clear customs in LAX? Did you get new crew for LAX-SEA?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:58 am

We learned about the diversion a few hours into the flight. They announced that customs/immigration would be closed at Sea Tac due to our late arrival. We landed at LAX and (eventually) got bussed to customs. Then had to walk back to the terminal, get new boarding passes at the desk, clear security, and find the gate.
Flight attendants were the same. I can’t speak for the pilots.
ashill likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:58 am

Long night

We learned about the diversion a few hours into the flight. They announced that customs/immigration would be closed at Sea Tac due to our late arrival. We landed at LAX and (eventually) got bussed to customs. Then had to walk back to the terminal, get new boarding passes at the desk, clear security, and find the gate.
be_rettSEA and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I hope you were in F....yikes.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Did they tell you why it was diverted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.