Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Food Offered as a Choice in F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Main Cabin Food Offered as a Choice in F?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
sorry, I was looking at the post you quoted and thought you were replying to their post
I did? briev said he pre-ordered the F&C and got charged for it.

If that was an economy pre-order, that was not at all clear.

FWIW I just got off the OGG-SFO red-eye. It was a "snack" flight. I was expecting just the snack basket, but they had split pea soup and F&C!
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Hotels.com Rewards
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
OP implied that he ordered the F&C as the FC meal option. Of course it's possible that I misunderstood.

Personally I'd probably request the refund anyway if I had been upgraded too late to order the meal. There is nothing to prevent a customer service gesture to combat stupid policies. I wouldn't fight for it or anything, but I'd try (they can always say no)

In the past when this has happened, I've always gotten the F&C for free. Charging for something in first class is cheap and tacky and shows a misunderstanding of the concept of "first class".

The AS FC meals are always strange hipster approximations of food, with things like clementine or pomegranate seeds mixed with meat. And then there's usually something "healthy" with kale or quinoa in it. I won't touch them. I don't understand why they can't just serve normal food.

At least the cheese is good, though.
I preordered it both times -- I preorder it before basically every AS flight. The first time was free, the second time wasn't (and I just took the burger for free instead). Both times I took the identical steps -- preordered cheese and after upgrade I requested what I preordered instead of the FC menu -- and had two different replies from staff. The first was IAD>SEA, and the second time was LAX>SEA.

No big deal, just thought it was odd. I am addicted to the Beechers though.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by briev
I preordered it both times -- I preorder it before basically every AS flight. The first time was free, the second time wasn't (and I just took the burger for free instead). Both times I took the identical steps -- preordered cheese and after upgrade I requested what I preordered instead of the FC menu -- and had two different replies from staff. The first was IAD>SEA, and the second time was LAX>SEA.

No big deal, just thought it was odd. I am addicted to the Beechers though.
That was what I understood from your first post. You pre-ordered when you had a main cabin seat. When you were upgraded you requested the food you had pre-ordered when you were originally expecting to be in the main cabin. In that case, the food doesn't follow you. You can pre-order a First Class meal if within the allowable time, but if you were upgraded closer to departure than allowed for a pre-ordered meal then you would get the First Class meal and could still purchase the main cabin meal you pre-ordered. It's all semantics (because the cheese plate is pretty much the same - just plated rather than in a box) but, in this case, they matter. Clearly, no two FA's are on the same page about how this works but what I'm telling you above is the policy as it's told them by the company.

I guess I understood that you were upgraded because I know that First Class cheese plates are on a plate and the ones from main cabin are in a box. Despite all the crazy inconsistency, I don't know if any FA would have charged anyone for a plated cheese plate - those are only loaded in the FC cabin and are understood to have been ordered by a FC guest.
Bellerina and beckoa like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I did? briev said he pre-ordered the F&C and got charged for it.

If that was an economy pre-order, that was not at all clear.

FWIW I just got off the OGG-SFO red-eye. It was a "snack" flight. I was expecting just the snack basket, but they had split pea soup and F&C!
You're right - it wasn't clear. I guess I understood that the first cheese plate was on a plate - that's one that was loaded in First Class for a First Class pre-order. The second one sounds like it was retrieved from main cabin - which I guessed was as a result of a pre-order previous to having been upgraded.

I'm a little confused about the soup and fruit and cheese - that's weird. Thought they just served the fruit and cheese plate but soup is always a nice bonus. I love soup LOL
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're right - it wasn't clear. I guess I understood that the first cheese plate was on a plate - that's one that was loaded in First Class for a First Class pre-order. The second one sounds like it was retrieved from main cabin - which I guessed was as a result of a pre-order previous to having been upgraded.

I'm a little confused about the soup and fruit and cheese - that's weird. Thought they just served the fruit and cheese plate but soup is always a nice bonus. I love soup LOL
It has been a long time since I've done an AS redeye so I really did not know what to expect. I thought it was just going to be snack basket so I was very happy to get offered the F&C.

The soup was a little strange. As a Canadian I have a very specific idea about what split pea soup is supposed to be like and this was not it. It was kind of citrusy. It was ok, nothing special. I drank it down and went on to the cheese, which was great as always.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
And lets not forget one of the reasons they now offer food from the back (fruit & cheese or protein plate) is because we all complained about not being able to get a fruit and cheese up front!
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sitting in F right now from PDX-ORD, and the flight attendant (seemed to be a senior FA, extremely polite and friendly and excellent so far) explained the Fruit/Cheese plate policy. My seat mate requested it instead of the chicken/ravioli, and she said they’d have to charge him for it.

she agreed that it can be reserved, complimentary, in advance, but if not reserved in advance it has to be charged because they don’t load enough F/C plates for F to get complimentary.

extremely surprising to me, but, I guess that’s how it works.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Even if you don't pre-order and you're past the pre-order cutoff, the AS app shows fruit and cheese as a meal option and "complimentary" in F.

Based on that, any charge from it should be refunded.
VegasGambler and pcoll like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Even if you don't pre-order and you're past the pre-order cutoff, the AS app shows fruit and cheese as a meal option and "complimentary" in F.

Based on that, any charge from it should be refunded.
but none of the food options are guaranteed - I mean, if you didn't get your choice of the other two options it's not likely they would refund your $$$. Honestly, that's between any of you and customer relations, I can only explain the policy onboard the airplanes.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
but none of the food options are guaranteed - I mean, if you didn't get your choice of the other two options it's not likely they would refund your $$$. Honestly, that's between any of you and customer relations, I can only explain the policy onboard the airplanes.
But they obviously haven't run out of it if they are willing to sell you one. If the app shows it as complimentary even after cut-off, it should be free if they have it on board. If they don't have it for F, they should say they don't have any more in the F cabin. Seems like F&C would be easy to stock extra on the plane and then those not used in F could be extras to be sold in Main cabin. Not sure why they don't just stock a few extra for F.

Overall, it just is a little sour to be charged for food they have on the plane in F. Is it really worth $8 to piss off the F passengers? Feels like penny pinching on F product. Definitely making me re-think F when I have other airlines offering for much lower prices.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS
AS FLYER, I appreciate your input and perspective on issues and questions we have about AS. Helps us understand what AS has in place and policy. Good to hear all sides.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by pcoll; Feb 20, 2020 at 7:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.