Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitely No SFO Admirals Club Access (Perhaps When New AL and AC Open?)

Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gold 75K

Given today’s partnership announcement I tried to access the SFO Admirals Club today and was denied. The AA lounge attendant told me access is to every lounge except SFO and there were a lot of disappointed people today.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Thank you for taking one for the team. I was considering buying AS lounge membership primarily to access the SFO lounge.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by u2g0d
Thank you for taking one for the team. I was considering buying AS lounge membership primarily to access the SFO lounge.
Take a look at getting an AA Exec card. Full AA membership including SFO, full AS access. The differences are down in the weeds of some partner locations, but worth checking if the differences matter to you.
osotoc and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
This exclusion is explicitly listed on the Alaska Airlines site. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:AA

*Alaska Lounge members do not currently have access to The Admirals Club in San Francisco International's Terminal 2 due to space constraints. Alaska will be opening a new 8,500-square-foot, top-floor lounge in Terminal 2 this fall.
Beltway2A and rickg523 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Alaska’s web site announcing the access to “all” Admirals Clubs is quite clear on this too:

Alaska Lounge members do not currently have access to The Admirals Club in San Francisco International's Terminal 2 due to space constraints. Alaska will be opening a new 8,500-square-foot, top-floor lounge in Terminal 2 this fall.
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Take a look at getting an AA Exec card. Full AA membership including SFO, full AS access. The differences are down in the weeds of some partner locations, but worth checking if the differences matter to you.
Given the short timescale on which a) the AA T2 club will be open and b) AS’s lounge isn’t open, I’m not sure that’s a reason to get the AA card anymore.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
As stayed above, AS will not have access to the AA Lounge in T2. AA is moving to T1 in March/April and will have a dedicated lounge there. This is also true for AS who are building their own Lounge in T2.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by minhaoxue; Feb 13, 2020 at 11:00 pm
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
Did the OP blindly think that because they made the announcement only today, they would have access to the AA Lounge at SFO. This is despise the fact that it was well known AS members could not accesses the lounge.
The email from Alaska said, with no asterisks or qualifiers, that, "Effective immediately", "Access any of American’s 50 Admirals Club locations worldwide with an Alaska Lounge membership." So it was reasonable to think that the access restrictions had been dropped. But it turned out that the SFO restriction remains. (As far as I know, before today, Alaska Lounge members has access to all ACs except SFO, so it was especially reasonable the email stating that something had changed as meaning that SFO was now accessible. But no.)
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ashill
The email from Alaska said, with no asterisks or qualifiers, that, "Effective immediately", "Access any of American’s 50 Admirals Club locations worldwide with an Alaska Lounge membership." So it was reasonable to think that the access restrictions had been dropped. But it turned out that the SFO restriction remains. (As far as I know, before today, Alaska Lounge members has access to all ACs except SFO, so it was especially reasonable the email stating that something had changed as meaning that SFO was now accessible. But no.)
yes, I misquoted and admit I did not see the email. As I understand it, one of the main reasons for denying entry for AS members was the over crowding of the AA Lounge . This is reasonable considering a lot of air carriers deny entry to third party in favor of their own members.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:14 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
The AA AC at SFO is OK, and I used it last month before my AS flight to SEA, but I had an onward JL flight to NRT, so OW rules applied. They did scan my AS BP, and I showed them my eTicket as I didn't have JL BP's as OLCI wasn't permitted for passport check. I'm wondering if AS would move to the South Terminal also, but for the upcoming AS lounge opening in "T2".
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by sjbsf
The AA lounge attendant told me access is to every lounge except SFO and there were a lot of disappointed people today.
It’s like that Louis CK joke - about how people get all upset about some new thing they *just* find out about doesn’t work perfectly. How quickly they feel entitled - especially when it’s free.

We’re people really ‘disappointed’ within 12 hours of some new perk they never had before? And it didn’t work exactly on time, instantaneously and seemlessly, totally for free??

Last edited by WestCoastPDX; Feb 14, 2020 at 7:55 am
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not bother with a new CC and a $450 fee just for SFO access between now and this fall when there will be access to both he new AA and AS facilities. The card may make sense for other reasons.

Alaska Lounge members do not currently have access to The Admirals Club in San Francisco International's Terminal 2 due to space constraints. Alaska will be opening a new 8,500-square-foot, top-floor lounge in Terminal 2 this fall.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
AA is moving to T1 in March/April and will have a dedicated lounge there. This is also true for AS who are building their own Lounge in T2.
Yup. SFO will have an abundance of options in the (relatively) near future for AA and AS flyers.

Current AC at SFO is nice enough but the restriction is necessary, as it's already very crowded without the added AS pax.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Great just what we need. The AC are completely packed full as they are now and we get to look forward to AS members now joining ranks? Ugh.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gold 75K
My annoyance is that the email, with no asterisk, suggested that "effective immediately" lounge members were getting an additional benefit that did not already exist. Poor communication in my book.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Great just what we need. The AC are completely packed full as they are now and we get to look forward to AS members now joining ranks? Ugh.
Other than the SFO AC, AS members have already had access for years now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.