Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
DL’s program is even worse than AA’s, if you’re worried about AS copying a larger partner. AA still has charts and the ability to redeem for international F. You can (for the moment) get free changes on AA awards if you keep O/D and airline the same.
Totally agree. I value DL miles at ~0.0, recently they were asking for 300k SFO-LHR C award ticket.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tack
I'd guess that Mileage Plan going revenue based would have to be a requirement of OW entry. Otherwise, as an EP, I'm switching over to the AS FFP on day 1! I'd also guess that they would have to add an additional elite level to access Emerald? However things play out it will be interesting to watch. This tie-up, for me, is really welcomed. I love flying AS, but being a slave to FFP earning to maintaining EP, I had to basically abandon AS as the code share wound down. For the loyal AS flyers that got the most out of Mileage Plan, I will be sorry for your loss, but personally, this is great news. Cheers!
Would OW do that though? Many other airlines in OW aren't revenue based...obviously AA would prefer that AS go revenue based but I can't imagine they would write something like that in the contract.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I guess this means I can collect miles for my AA operated, BA ticketed trip to Europe in May!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Originally Posted by mattdk88
I wonder if this could help Delta on it's Alaska routes when Alaska's FFP gets devalued as speculated. Seems one of AS strongholds has been keeping a lot of the ANC-SEA traffic.
Having worked with one of biggest companies of Alaska, I can fully attest the huge perceived value of AS mileage program. A very high % of people there have the AS credit card, the companion ticket thing is extremely valuable. Delta tried to offer a very competitive rate including elite status for a lot of the top business travelers for my client, they got no takers. When I was traveling myself there, the Delta first class fare on Bay Area-SEA-ANC was cheeper than coach on Alaska!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I thought with airline alliances that only the airline's own elites are eligible for upgrades?
Yeah, I would not expect AS members to get AA CPUs, and vice versa. But the WCIA could make both airlines, and especially AS, more attractive to frequent flyers. Thus in the long run I'd expect upgrade lists to get considerably longer out of airports like SFO and LAX than they are right now.

On the West Coast, currently AS is strong at SEA (52m pax), credible at PDX (20m), and a joke at LAX (88m), SFO (58m), and SAN (24m). But AS + AA immediately becomes #1 at LAX, SEA, and PDX, and a credible #2 at SFO and SAN. So they go from two also-rans on the West Coast (AS having no domestic network beyond WC, and AA having limited WC presence), to having the strongest position on the West Coast.

Originally Posted by noah
That said, I'm not terribly surprised and I think this is probably driven more by AA than by AS, and perhaps AA was feeling so stung by the loss of LATAM that they made AS an offer that AS just couldn't refuse.
I don't see how AS would fill in gaps in Latin America. My reaction was the opposite: AS must be truly desperate to have a competitive domestic network out of anywhere besides SEA, and AA could probably name their price. But I can see benefits to both airlines (see above).

Originally Posted by Tack
I'd guess that Mileage Plan going revenue based would have to be a requirement of OW entry. Otherwise, as an EP, I'm switching over to the AS FFP on day 1!
There seems to be confusion among non-AS frequent flyers about how MP has evolved. This isn't MP of 5 years ago. Even if it doesn't go revenue based, I can all but guarantee that nonrefundable AA tickets won't earn more than 50% miles flown, and many won't earn more than 25% of miles flown. If you're only going to get 450 EQM/RDM flying from LAX to ORD, who cares if it's mileage based or revenue based?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
This is one of the weirdest comments I've ever seen on this forum.
Consider the source.
bmvaughn and DrAlex like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by MAH4546
AS has specifically called out its mileage program and the way it is structured as a tool that drives revenue and passengers. No reason to think it will change.
As I recall, American did too almost until the day they announced the revenue based program.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
While this might seem glorious today, I hope that it does not presage a merger between the two airlines. I think that Alaska management is more positive, treats employees better and offers an overall better product than AA.
Si exactamente. I also fear degradation in AS service and product including giant devaluation of AS MP....which until now was valauble. Lamentamos!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
So did BA know this was coming when they launched PDX?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
This seems like a pretty empty gesture - wouldn't SEA-LHR already be covered by the AA-BA joint venture?
From the airlines’ point of view, yes. From the customer point of view, this opens up SEA-LHR awards without BA YQ surcharges. That’s huge if (a big if) one can find availability.

And AA starting SEA-BLR was, to say the least, not on anyone’s radar. If that presages an AA long haul hub in SEA fed by AS, that would be huge for AS customers (assuming it isn’t so successful that AA decides to pull a DL and start its own domestic hub, but I find that unlikely).
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by mattdk88
I wonder if this could help Delta on it's Alaska routes when Alaska's FFP gets devalued as speculated. Seems one of AS strongholds has been keeping a lot of the ANC-SEA traffic.
Funny thing is, I could actually see DL doing something like ANC-FAI just as a middle finger to AS for this. Speculation aside, DL serves Alaska for the benefit of its SEA hub. They won’t get much AK-based point of sale until they start doing some intra-Alaska stuff. Until then, AS owns Alaska.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Totally agree. I value DL miles at ~0.0, recently they were asking for 300k SFO-LHR C award ticket.
And AS asks 280k miles for some Aer Lingus business class tickets.

Valuing a program that has dynamic pricing by their most expensive redemption makes no sense. DL also has 2500 mile domestic redemptions.
milypan likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I welcome this news. BUT....
I fear AS devaluation ahead (due to differential on partners awards AS vs AA).
Last year, I had a real hard time balancing and keeping my AA EXP & AS MVPG75K. Just barely did both literally had to fly on Dec 31.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Valuing a program that has dynamic pricing by their most expensive redemption makes no sense. DL also has 2500 mile domestic redemptions.
for what routes? LAX<-->SAN? SEA<-->PDX? I've snagged WAS<-->NYC for 5500 a few times, SEA<-->LAX/SNA for 5000 (which occasionally pops up on AS for similar)
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by skirunman
Not according to the press release:

At the same time, agreements with our current valued Global Partners will continue uninterrupted.

For now...

That’s encouraging to read, but, I can’t imagine it will last beyond 2021....
Fingers crossed, but, on first glance, I will push even more travel to Delta instead of worrying what the future holds for AS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.