Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
That sounds reasonable. My take is now that it’s clear AS doesn’t want premium transcon, AA and AS will coexist on SFO/LAX-JFK/BOS. AA takes the cream in J/F, AS bottom feeds with jets that have nearly 2x as many Y pax as A321Ts (remember, they’re running 738/739s now, not A320ceos that probably cost about the same but have less capacity). We’ll see who is right.

Oh, and this:

https://crankyflier.com/2020/02/13/t...ve-on-seattle/

Words you don’t see in this: JFK, New York.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 14, 2020 at 9:33 am
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Also seems pretty unlikely AS would be willing to invest a bunch of $$ to open a JFK lounge only to completely drop the market altogether for this. Maybe the alliance/partnership is worth more $$ than that, but seems it would take awhile to recoup that level of investment.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...446.html%3famp

Sure, but per this article, T7 at JFK slated to close in 2022 anyway, so I think that would be a time at which AS might reflect on its position in the market. BA and presumably AS move back into the expanded T8 with AA at that point in time. I’m sure AS will adjust CA-JFK transcon flying based on how those routes are performing over time, and whether or not there is still a narrow body aircraft shortage due to the 737 Max grounding, Airbus backlogs etc.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Feb 14, 2020 at 9:43 am
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
https://crankyflier.com/2020/02/13/t...ve-on-seattle/

Words you don’t see in this: JFK, New York.
I would expect a reduction from the existing 3x SEA-EWR to move flights to either JFK or PHL
I also wouldn't be surprised to see AS move back to MIA from FLL.

The question for me, is which of the two start YVR-LAX...
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Jma12
Glorious? Am I the only one that is not happy about this?
No. I'm not pleased at all.

I fly Emirates and Alaska. Avoid American and BA. I see award devaluations, fewer upgrades, and loss of partners in Alaska's future.
Happy and Jma12 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by akdancer
"Effective Immediately: Access any of American’s 50 Admirals Club locations worldwide with an Alaska Lounge membership. "

I'll test this on Sat. at SFO. Hope to report good news.

Overall, an interesting development - something needed to be done.
From Alaska's website:*Alaska Lounge members do not currently have access to The Admirals Club in San Francisco International's Terminal 2 due to space constraints. Alaska will be opening a new 8,500-square-foot, top-floor lounge in Terminal 2 this fall.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Quoted for truth.

There's zero indication that there will be upgrade reciprocity for AA/AS. So boom, your domestic upgrades on AA flights evaporate once you're an AS elite. That right there is a huge reason why most people will stay put.

There's a marginal case where:

- I pay for J/F on AA/BA/CX/JL/etc. and literally could not care less about ever being upgraded (or any EXP/CK services from AA, IRROPS)
- Oh, neato keen, now I can put all my AA J/F transcons or AA international J/F flight earnings in an AS bucket instead of just nasty ol' AA, and, uh... get what other than more miles, lounge access I was already going to get as a OWE in J/F?

Most of the benefits you get as an OW elite are... wait for it, things you don't need if you're in a J/ F cabin anyway.
I doubt a ton of EXP/CK will be switching -- but AS MVPG is a lot more attractive than AA PLT for a mid-tier flyer who does any amount of AS flying. Upgrades are essentially theoretical on AA at that level, and require stickers >500mi. And unless AS moves to a revenue model, a 100% RDM bonus on miles flown is a lot better than a 60% RDM bonus on dollars spent.

I bailed on AA PLT a few years ago, but were I still flying them, I would be tempted to switch.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by dtremit
I doubt a ton of EXP/CK will be switching -- but AS MVPG is a lot more attractive than AA PLT for a mid-tier flyer who does any amount of AS flying. Upgrades are essentially theoretical on AA at that level, and require stickers >500mi. And unless AS moves to a revenue model, a 100% RDM bonus on miles flown is a lot better than a 60% RDM bonus on dollars spent.
Nah, it’s probably a wash at best. At 100% earnings the break even point for AA PLT vs AS MVPG would be a ticket price of 25 cents/mile. But cheap economy fares will likely earn 25% when credited to AS, bringing the break even point down to 6 cents per mile. If you’re flying very cheap TCONs (or overseas) then you might come out ahead on the AS chart, but otherwise you’re better off crediting AA metal to AA.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Absent an opt-out provision contemplating an AS move to One World, there is a contractural agreement that must be fulfilled. Just as AF/KL continued until the expiration of that agreement, SQ partnership should be around until the end of the current agreement, if not longer.
I hope longer!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milypan
Nah, it’s probably a wash at best. At 100% earnings the break even point for AA PLT vs AS MVPG would be a ticket price of 25 cents/mile. But cheap economy fares will likely earn 25% when credited to AS, bringing the break even point down to 6 cents per mile. If you’re flying very cheap TCONs (or overseas) then you might come out ahead on the AS chart, but otherwise you’re better off crediting AA metal to AA.
Frankly if you're flying very cheap TCONS/international AA to attain status wants you to switch, they would rather fill up their cheap seats with people buying off Expedia who don't even remember to put their FF number in than a bunch of FT gamers who want to turn cheap TCONS to Cathay F.

To be honest if you're going to fly up to 200,000 partner miles in economy just to score AS MVPG (at 25% earning on AA on a bunch of Oasis planes, 10 across 777s or 9 across 787s), you probably deserve it. That's over 12 HKG-DFW round trips (AA's longest route). I suppose it takes all kinds, even the masochistic ones.

Even if you do 25k on AS, that's still something like 100k of travel on AA... for mid-level OW Sapphire status.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
As someone who is CK w/AA, I look forward to getting upgraded way ahead of all the lower roller AS elites out there. Only question is that will AS also be offering tarmac to tarmac in an Escalade like AA currently offers???
When AA & AS were last ff partners were you able to upgrade ahead of AS freq flyers?
Cross airline upgrades are not a feature of the OW alliance. But AA/BA/IB have a limited cross airline upgrade system with onerous t&c's

Originally Posted by PDog
No. I'm not pleased at all.

I fly Emirates and Alaska. Avoid American and BA. I see award devaluations, fewer upgrades, and loss of partners in Alaska's future.
Why less AS partners? Not usual for OW airlines to have out of alliance ff partners.

Emirates has ff partnerships with: Alaska Airlines, COPA Airlines, Gol Transportes Aéreos, Japan Airlines, Jetblue Airways, Korean Air, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas Airways, S7 Airlines, South African Airways, TAP Portugal. Four of those are OW airlines From https://www.wheretocredit.com/emirates

Some other OW airlines have out of OW alliance ff partners. AA has Etihad EY as a ff partner. QF with AF/KLM. CX with NZ on 1 route.
eponymous_coward and LiHS like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 14, 2020 at 11:22 am
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Frankly if you're flying very cheap TCONS/international AA to attain status wants you to switch, they would rather fill up their cheap seats with people buying off Expedia who don't even remember to put their FF number in than a bunch of FT gamers who want to turn cheap TCONS to Cathay F. To be honest if you're going to fly up to 200,000 partner miles in economy just to score AS MVPG (at 25% earning on AA on a bunch of Oasis planes, 10 across 777s or 9 across 787s), you probably deserve it. That's over 12 HKG-DFW round trips (AA's longest route). I suppose it takes all kinds, even the masochistic ones. Even if you do 25k on AS, that's still something like 100k of travel on AA... for mid-level OW Sapphire status.
The corollary to this would be that if you want to spend 30% of your Tuesdays every year shuttling back and forth between SJC and LAX on cheap tickets to hit 60 segments for MVPG, then maybe it's time to ask how your life devolved into its current state...

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
When AA & AS were last ff partners were you able to upgrade ahead of AS freq flyers?
Cross airline upgrades are not a feature of the OW alliance.
I assumed that post was tongue-in-cheek, but it's FT, so who knows.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Maybe it's just in my head - but it seems like when AS & AA limited their existing relationship to "codeshare only" that the majority of AA results on AS.com went way up in price, because it's only pulling codeshare fares or something?

Does this mean we'll see better pricing for flights with AA segments on AS.com? At least it means we'll be able to book over at AA.com if its cheaper there I guess. I'm thinking of heading over to BUF this fall for the Hawks game so being able to fly at least one segment on AA will be helpful.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, & EP 2024-25; Southwest A-List
Reno Air!!!

Originally Posted by rbAA
Except some time ago AA bought Air Cal and Reno Air which had solid west coast schedules only to gut them and go Eagle. Doubt that mistake would be repeated but you never know.
Oh how I miss Reno Air! AA really screwed up their SJC strategy.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZBB
I would expect a reduction from the existing 3x SEA-EWR to move flights to either JFK or PHL
I also wouldn't be surprised to see AS move back to MIA from FLL.

The question for me, is which of the two start YVR-LAX...
No way it's PHL- super low PDEW for SEA compared to EWR, and if AS is going to pump pax to and from an AA hub, it's going to be LAX- they have hourly service, it's not some East Coast goat rodeo when the weather is bad.

There is also a practical maximum for JFK service, being able to split EWR/JFK is a bonus. EWR is also a perfectly cromulent way to get to a lot of Manhattan compared to JFK.

(TBH what AS really wants is the LGA perimeter lifted. They would get their slots back from WN as soon as the contract lets them and start SEA service. LGA is really the preferred airport over JFK/EWR, it just doesn't work for anything outside the perimeter.)

MIA is way expensive for landing fees compared to FLL. AS can't run SFO/LAX-FLL year-round, soooo... I think the current setup is just fine for AS's South Florida coverage and AA MIA connectivity to SEA.

As for YVR-LAX... I think maybe AA, AS tried and failed.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
That sounds reasonable. My take is now that it’s clear AS doesn’t want premium transcon, AA and AS will coexist on SFO/LAX-JFK/BOS. AA takes the cream in J/F, AS bottom feeds with jets that have nearly 2x as many Y pax as A321Ts (remember, they’re running 738/739s now, not A320ceos that probably cost about the same but have less capacity).
I think this is spot on.

Also pumped that for time being I can keep 75K with AS, and credit my lie-flat AA transcons to AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.