Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I also can't help but feel that this is (mostly) bad news for those who value AS primarily for the generous Mileage Plan benefits.

Will be interesting to see if 75K gets OWE status (and if so, whether AS raises the qualification requirements).
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Not upset about SQ since the rates are high.
Only compared to AS's bargain rates for CX, JL, and KE. Considered relative to other programs, the SQ redemption rates are fine.
JHake10 and safari ari like this.

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by AlexanderK
Interested to see what Alaska will price QR J award tickets at
Which we assume would be a loss of EK flights then.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Is it April 1 already?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Really curious if MVP75 will give emerald status or if they will offer a higher tier for emerald...I make transfers through hkg often on non-F routes and access to CX F lounges will be a treat
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Kacee
I also can't help but feel that this is (mostly) bad news for those who value AS primarily for the generous Mileage Plan benefits.

Will be interesting to see if 75K gets OWE status (and if so, whether AS raises the qualification requirements).
Agree, will they split up qualification based on AS metal vs. AS/Partner? Would be weird for an alliance member to do such a thing. Not to mention one of the big gripes from AA when they devalued their FFP was AS earned more miles than AA, and EQD was thrown out. So how does this effect the overall AS FFP, if I could get all benefits on AA but fly AS and credit and get better rates/mileage redemptions, something has got to give.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:39 am
Suspended

Two OneWorld airlines in the US with the same partners, the same earnings rates and the same award rates? What's the point of that. Might as well sell AS to AA.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by safari ari
Agree, will they split up qualification based on AS metal vs. AS/Partner? Would be weird for an alliance member to do such a thing. Not to mention one of the big gripes from AA when they devalued their FFP was AS earned more miles than AA, and EQD was thrown out. So how does this effect the overall AS FFP, if I could get all benefits on AA but fly AS and credit and get better rates/mileage redemptions, something has got to give.
I'm also worried about the potential FFP devaluation but hoping there is some sort of hybrid solution that can be worked out.

Impressed that AS actually made a strategic business move but agree that something has to give as a result.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Whoa AA sure is hitting back hard. SEA-BLR? Man, that's bolder than anything that Atlanta has dreamed of for Seattle.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Only compared to AS's bargain rates for CX, JL, and KE. Considered relative to other programs, the SQ redemption rates are fine.
I don’t consider 80K AS for US-Japan or 100K AS for US-SE Asia/China as “fine” for a one-way J ticket.

At those prices, you’re better off redeeming UR/AX/TYP via SQ directly since it’s easier to earn those points than AS miles. Sure, if you fly on a lot of paid J/F fares that earn 200% RDM before factoring in 75K bonuses it’s not horrible.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
Is it April 1 already?
Agree--that has to be one of the strangest Alliance announcements ever. Emphasizing that Alaska will be feeding American's nearly non-existent international long haul flights from SEA/LAX. Yesterday they were falling out of love and today they are best friends. We will have code-shares but there are still restrictions put in place with the VX/AS merger so we can't really do that extensively. Maybe sometime in a year or more we will be partners and clearly American would not be happy with AS keeping Mileage Plan as it is. It has been widely reported that American loses money flying and only makes money from AAdvantage. Thus giving up that golden goose to the benefit of Alaska just makes no sense for American. MileagePlan will have to be as bad or worse than AAdvantage to keep the AA flyers with Aadvantage. Seems LATAM and other partners may be getting pulled sooner than expected and both carriers were thrust into it.
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
I'm not sure what service will be like on AA's new SEA-LHR compared to BA or VS.​​​​​​
This seems like a pretty empty gesture - wouldn't SEA-LHR already be covered by the AA-BA joint venture?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, & EP 2024-25; Southwest A-List
EQMs

Forgive me if I missed it (still early here on the west coast), but I haven’t seen any info regarding EQM earning on AA in this interim period before Alaska Air’s OneWorld entry.

i have little interest in flying long-haul AA if I can’t earn EQMs.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
This seems like a pretty empty gesture - wouldn't SEA-LHR already be covered by the AA-BA joint venture?
Exactly. BA has 2x service to SEA.

I’d rather see SEA-MAD to feed Iberia and give an alternative to BA in Europe.
BearX220 and milski like this.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
At those prices, you’re better off redeeming UR/AX/TYP via SQ directly since it’s easier to earn those points than AS miles.
Maybe if you earn your miles through churn. Not if you fly paid J/F.

It's also way easier to redeem via AS. KF cs is a nightmare. God forbid you have to cancel a ticket . . . you can't get your KF miles back without calling SQ and paying a redeposit fee. In typical Singapore fashion they have all kinds of arcane rules that do nothing but slow the process down and inconvenience the customer.
DeltaFlyingProf likes this.

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wow. We are about to see how much DL really cares about Seattle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.