Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Currently in OW only AA-BA-IB have a cross airline upgrade system, that has onerousness t&c's and useless for many people. Is not that difference to the Star Alliance system Generally the upgrade polices and cost in ff miles/$ between USA based airlines and the airlines in the rest of the world is vastly different. Outside of USA premium cabins are not "free upgrade class" for the entitled. For me I hope it stays that way (no alliance upgrades). Otherwise we will loose out to the USA AA-AS frequent spenders (with AA-AS ff miles)
I'm skeptical it's going to mean a lot (I would imagine it will be high-priced Y and J similar to *A, not deep discount, perhaps even a cash copay component like on AA for longhaul Y->J), but it's nice to have options.

Why? Many OW airlines have out of alliance ff partners. For example Emirates EK is a ff partner of the Oneworld airlines JL, QF, MH & S7. AA & EY Etihad are ff partners
Presumably AS is going to prefer their partners for specific geos: for instance they don't partner with BA and VS because BA covers the UK sufficiently. If you're trying to funnel AS passengers to Asia presumably you want to use JL and CX not KE. If QR were to set up shop in SEA it might tip the scales (though the EK partnership's worked well for AS, and QR doesn't have the same reach).

Thing is though CX and SQ are pretty competitive. (I also have to think the SIN/HKG-SEA routes are very iffy if there's long term cuts in business travel- significantly less paid J traffic is a bad sign on making a ULH flight profitable, and HKG/SIN aren't taking a lot of business right now.)
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Presumably AS is going to prefer their partners for specific geos: for instance they don't partner with BA and VS because BA covers the UK sufficiently. If you're trying to funnel AS passengers to Asia presumably you want to use JL and CX not KE. If QR were to set up shop in SEA it might tip the scales (though the EK partnership's worked well for AS, and QR doesn't have the same reach).
Cranky's article today has some nice discussion of this dynamic, that AS might prefer a oneworld partner to a non-oneworld partner when their useful routes overlap because of the relative ease of oneworld integration. But AS hasn't objected to having overlapping partners in the past (DL/AA, BA/AF/KL, most obviously).

And of course currently, VS isn't a great example because they're nearly-majority-owned by DL.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashill
..Presumably AS is going to prefer their partners for specific geos: for instance they don't partner with BA and VS because BA covers the UK sufficiently. If you're trying to funnel AS passengers to Asia presumably you want to use JL and CX not KE. If QR were to set up shop in SEA it might tip the scales (though the EK partnership's worked well for AS, and QR doesn't have the same reach).)
Cranky's article today has some nice discussion of this dynamic, that AS might prefer a oneworld partner to a non-oneworld partner when their useful routes overlap because of the relative ease of oneworld integration. But AS hasn't objected to having overlapping partners in the past (DL/AA, BA/AF/KL, most obviously).

And of course currently, VS isn't a great example because they're nearly-majority-owned by DL.
AS will prefer the arrangement that gets them the most $$$$: nothing else being it a OW or non OW airline.
OW is not a merger or a joint venture or a binding agreement to co-operate. Many OW airlines compete head to head: are not that friendly {AB of QR complains at almost everyone}. Many will not even interline checked bags on separate tickets.
Too many in the AS forum are over-thinking OW membership and hoping for gold pennies at the end of the rainbow. Will not happen
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS will prefer the arrangement that gets them the most $$$$: nothing else being it a OW or non OW airline.
Probably, It would be hard for QR to replicate what EK does. I will be interested to see if QR does start SEA-DOH at some point though.

Too many in the AS forum are over-thinking OW membership and hoping for gold pennies at the end of the rainbow. Will not happen
Basically I would expect something like new AS redemption/earning charts for new OW airlines, and maybe they'll do something like the CX/BA "multiple OW carriers" chart that's a distance-based chart such that they don't actually have to redo a bunch of charts. CX runs AsiaMiles like that (you either get CX+ a carrier or that other chart). I think they'll make MVP OWR, MVPG OWS and MVPG75K OWE. No change in qualifications and no fourth tier (it would be a lousy time to do it anyway, in the middle of the worst environment for making a profit flying ever). Everything will be fairly straightforward. I would expect IB's awards to be similar to BA/AY. There won't be amazing sweet spots on charts for partners like S7, MH, KA or UL because they'll have learned their lesson on SQ.

If that multiple carrier chart was something like CX's chart and rules that wouldn't be horrible; you can go RTW from North America to Asia+Europe for about 155-165k miles in J, 250-260k in F, five stopovers and multiple open-jaws. Add in Australia and it's more like Zone 12 (so 210k-300k) but that's not out of line with EK J/F redemptions...
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Probably, It would be hard for QR to replicate what EK does. I will be interested to see if QR does start SEA-DOH at some point though.

Basically I would expect something like new AS redemption/earning charts for new OW airlines, and maybe they'll do something like the CX/BA "multiple OW carriers" chart that's a distance-based chart such that they don't actually have to redo a bunch of charts. CX runs AsiaMiles like that (you either get CX+ a carrier or that other chart). I think they'll make MVP OWR, MVPG OWS and MVPG75K OWE. No change in qualifications and no fourth tier (it would be a lousy time to do it anyway, in the middle of the worst environment for making a profit flying ever). Everything will be fairly straightforward. I would expect IB's awards to be similar to BA/AY. There won't be amazing sweet spots on charts for partners like S7, MH, KA or UL because they'll have learned their lesson on SQ.

If that multiple carrier chart was something like CX's chart and rules that wouldn't be horrible; you can go RTW from North America to Asia+Europe for about 155-165k miles in J, 250-260k in F, five stopovers and multiple open-jaws. Add in Australia and it's more like Zone 12 (so 210k-300k) but that's not out of line with EK J/F redemptions...

Here is what will be interesting to follow is how the airlines and hotels for that matter handle the massive amount of build up of points/miles with basically no usage for at least six to 12 months. I know from my own accounts it's gotten out of hand due to two major trip cancelations etc. Do they keep redemptions as they are / specials etc to first get people on airplanes and or reduce their liability side of the ledger? Given their huge bet ( leverage lending of FFP) it creates an interesting scenario. My best guess is status quo for the first six to 12 months
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Here is what will be interesting to follow is how the airlines and hotels for that matter handle the massive amount of build up of points/miles with basically no usage for at least six to 12 months. I know from my own accounts it's gotten out of hand due to two major trip cancelations etc. Do they keep redemptions as they are / specials etc to first get people on airplanes and or reduce their liability side of the ledger? Given their huge bet ( leverage lending of FFP) it creates an interesting scenario. My best guess is status quo for the first six to 12 months
I think a limiting factor is going to be how much longhaul there is to the US. Right now, the schedules are fictional (if you try to book an AS award on BA, it says you're booking a 747 on a lot of routes... BA has of course already permanently retired the 747).

You can't book an award on a route if the service doesn't exist. So if QF is only doing 3x weekly service to the USA to LAX, or CX 3x weekly, and it's on.planes with no F cabin... good luck with an F award on that.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I think a limiting factor is going to be how much longhaul there is to the US. Right now, the schedules are fictional (if you try to book an AS award on BA, it says you're booking a 747 on a lot of routes... BA has of course already permanently retired the 747).

You can't book an award on a route if the service doesn't exist. So if QF is only doing 3x weekly service to the USA to LAX, or CX 3x weekly, and it's on.planes with no F cabin... good luck with an F award on that.

Oh I agree with you. my comment was more global not withstanding capacity as you well pointed out. I have been predicting all along there will be at least a 10% loss in job positions world wide redundancy will be the key operating word in board rooms throughout the world, as for airlines the once pilot shortage has disappeared for better or worse. What I do fear with respect to pilots is many of the senior ones are bailing out, no pun intended leaving many right seaters suddenly in the left seat, again for better or worse. I have some friends flying little younger than I now taking those offers and getting out.

Back to points/upgrade etc I think the airlines collectively want to get people back in their planes and if it is on points then so be it.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Oh I agree with you. my comment was more global not withstanding capacity as you well pointed out. I have been predicting all along there will be at least a 10% loss in job positions world wide redundancy will be the key operating word in board rooms throughout the world, as for airlines the once pilot shortage has disappeared for better or worse. What I do fear with respect to pilots is many of the senior ones are bailing out, no pun intended leaving many right seaters suddenly in the left seat, again for better or worse. I have some friends flying little younger than I now taking those offers and getting out.

Back to points/upgrade etc I think the airlines collectively want to get people back in their planes and if it is on points then so be it.
So long as cash burn is a problem, airlines will not bother with point liability. Premium award availability will be limited. If you want business class, pay cash to upgrade.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freed0m
Premium award availability will be limited.
How limited? I'm not finding it so at all because I'm looking at some award travel at year's end (though as I stated, the schedules are mostly fictional- BA isn't going to be flying 747s). I could literally fly BA in Y, J or F any day I choose to my destination- J and F aren't EVERY day but they are MOST days.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: Alaska
How limited? I'm not finding it so at all because I'm looking at some award travel at year's end (though as I stated, the schedules are mostly fictional- BA isn't going to be flying 747s). I could literally fly BA in Y, J or F any day I choose to my destination- J and F aren't EVERY day but they are MOST days.
But will they actually fly? You can book all you want. But you need a lot of luck to actually fly as booked.

I have several awards cancelled by the partners. No alternatives offered, just straight cancelled.

How limited? Hmmm. Let's check the availability of the next 30days when international long haul flights are actually scheduled. Barring Japanese airlines(is there some Japanese honor not to pull award availability?), I saw non-existent long haul premium award availability.

That said, I would still check and book some long haul premium awards speculatively. That's just because I have too many miles for my use and too much free time to kill. IME, there is less than 10% chance I can actually fly what I have booked since April/May for next year.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: A friendly reminder that this thread is a discussion of AS joining oneworld, not award redemption or route availability. Thanks.

dayone, AS Moderator
Old Jul 24, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The moral of the AS is joining OW is:

1) If you see an award on a partner that you want, get it now. The worst you're out, if you have status, is $25. Even without status, what is it, $125? Don't kick yourself re: "I would have, should have" especially if another partnership divorce occurs.
2) If something better arises later, i.e., mix/match more partners, you can always change it. See above re: the worst you're out. You might even avoid a new partner fee if an agent assists.
3) If you with to continue with the spekyulashens, go on. I will prefer to wait and cry (tears of joy or sorrow) when it becomes reality, and post in the new "How has AS's joining of OW changed your life?" thread
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Since I generally don't redeem miles for partners outside of AS and AA, I really could care less about partner award pricing and/or which partner is part of OW....when the dust settles, my top 3 concerns are:

1. Most Important: AS Mileage Plan remains a traditional, mileage-based program with no revenue requirement (dropping 3K for entry level elite status isn't in my playbook and is the reason I left UA for AS years ago when they went revenue-based)

2. Stopovers on award tickets (at least for AS and AA-international routings) remain: My two "go to" awards are the 5K AS awards like FAT-PDX (long stopover)-BOI or 27.5K international business awards like MCO-PDX (long stopover)-GCM.

3. Ability to get free baggage and MCE seating on AA flights
Old Jul 25, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I booked one of those QR 5,000 mile J fares. It’s booked for November, but really doubt they’ll allow Americans in to my destination, but I digress.

Anyway, is there a solid date yet on when AS is going to be in OW? This will allow me to better plan the QR flight so I can credit. Right now my travel is for November. Im just curious if we finally have a date of AS officially being in OW?

As far as partners like EK and the rest, I have to imagine they will stay. I am an optimist when it comes to their reward calendars and autonomy with outside OW partners. Heck, EK practically has a great global love affair with QF that has pissed QR off and they’re in the same alliance!

Post COVID it would be great if Alaska could pick up some cheap larger aircraft and use it for an international feeder.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 1:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Typically it takes 6-12 months from formal invitation to officially join, so I doubt that they’ll be a part of Oneworld by the end of 2020 when those QR fares expire unfortunately.

Given AS glacial pace history with IT it will be closer to 12 than 6 in my unprofessional speckyulayshun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.