Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
People assume it because almost everyone has changed, but this is one of those things that differentiates Alaska. Like Southwest and luggage, everyone else does it, but not Southwest, its one of those things to differentiate.

This whole AA/Oneworld thing is a home run. I can return to flying AA domestically where Alaska does not serve and its fine.
One could argue the AS needed to differentiate itself because of it's lack of network compared to other legacy airlines. Now that need is largely gone with addition of AA network. There's a long history of partners harmonizing earnings to prevent situations where the disparate earnings cause flyers to jump ship to the more lucrative programs when not actually primarily flying that airline. Southwest doesn't have any partners, so it doesn't need to concern itself with such things. Note that AS could retain a "mileage-based" program, but only offer fractional mileage earn on cheaper fare classes. This is frequently the case in many partnerships where is may not be possible to credit based on dollars spent for partner flying.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Tango
Why does everyone assume that Alaska will move to a revenue based FF program?
Probably because in this industry you never get something for nothing, and that's an obvious thing to trade away.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
AA is not doing this for AS's benefit, they are doing it for their own. AS may have some side benefits like gaining access to a wider domestic audience and adding feed to a handful of international flights but to think AA is going to allow AS to keep their FF program as it is seems very unlikely.
I too was initially skeptical that AA was getting much of anything from this. But when you look at the numbers, it vaults AA from being an also-ran at every significant West Coast airport except LAX to being in the #1 or strong #2 position at all of them (when looking at combined AA + AS share). That seems significant, even for an airline as large as AA. And what is it really costing them? The number of routes on which they directly compete with AS is rounding error, especially as AS cuts back its TCON flights from LAX/SFO.

Originally Posted by SEA737
As for increasing requirements, I can see 75K going up to 100k partner miles, and tbh I don't see that as a huge hit to take for the added OWE benefits.
Or they could square it up mathematically with the MVP/MVPG differentials and set it at 93,750 miles.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A318neo
The backstory will probably never be told or won't be clear for a few years. Who started the divorce and who started the make up?
It's quite possible that you can't really assign 100% of blame/credit to one side or the other. Maybe it was a little too much of both AA demanding exclusivity and AS demanding independence. With AA's loss of LATAM and AS's dwindling list of partners, maybe both sides decided to make some concessions in order to get a deal done.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any chance this ends with AA buying AS in a few years?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by gdam22
The big worry for me and several others seems to be how much Alaska is going to devalue its miles as a result of this.

Currently, the JAL/Cathay redemption rates are terrific. If those change, this would actually make me LESS likely to collect Alaska miles.
This is my concern as well
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by MAH4546
You are oversimplying. The amount of people that will "switch" to AS is so insanely negligible it will have no affect. Most people will remain primarily to their primary carrier.

AA also cannot "call the shots" because that's illegal collusion. They aren't applying for anti-trust.
Quoted for truth.

There's zero indication that there will be upgrade reciprocity for AA/AS. So boom, your domestic upgrades on AA flights evaporate once you're an AS elite. That right there is a huge reason why most people will stay put.

There's a marginal case where:

- I pay for J/F on AA/BA/CX/JL/etc. and literally could not care less about ever being upgraded (or any EXP/CK services from AA, IRROPS)
- Oh, neato keen, now I can put all my AA J/F transcons or AA international J/F flight earnings in an AS bucket instead of just nasty ol' AA, and, uh... get what other than more miles, lounge access I was already going to get as a OWE in J/F?

Most of the benefits you get as an OW elite are... wait for it, things you don't need if you're in a J/ F cabin anyway.

But like you say, I don't know how many of these customers were choosing AA for status/mile acquisition to begin with.

But OK, what about the Y benefits? Well... I am betting that if you're in AA Basic Economy/AS Saver, you're not getting upgrades to better seats. So now an AS elite has an actual incentive to pick a non-BE fare (and for AA elites, the same). And it's a sucker bet that EQM/RDM earn rates on low-priced Y for AS elites on AA/AA elites on AS aren't going to be 100% EQM/RDM (or EQD on AA). So good luck trying to get EXP/75K on $99 AS/AA transcons. Earn OWE on AS $99 transcons as a 75k, and then if you want more than early boarding/checked bags when you fly AA... please pay to get out of Basic Economy. Ch-ching!

This isn't going to be THAT easy for the FT "I game the airlines" crowd to game.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My guess: As AS was investigating joining oneworld as a Connect member, at some point it made more sense to become a full member. More sense to both AS and AA, because nothing happens in oneworld without it making sense to AA.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QF & AF/KLM are now ff partners
QF doesn’t share a hub (or two, depending on how you count LAX for both DL and AS) with an AF/KLM joint business partner.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Disagree, they'll fly it for the same reasons they'll continue to fly SEA/PDX-DFW/ORD/PHX even though they could just dump those markets to AA.

What this DOES mean I think is there is ZERO likelihood AS will ever have lie-flats on domestic flights. They'll continue NYC/BOS service because it's a top 10 destination from CA and it's required to be meaningful in those markets (plus AA's Y capacity on A321Ts sucks, they can serve the Y/"leisure enthusiast" market as an LCC and let AA skim cream in J/F). They're just going to leave all that juicy lie-flat revenue to the big boys and B6 and keep doing their thing.
In our little FT bubble, (the collective) we seem to forget that most of the people, most of the time, will never see a lie flat seat, and are lucky when they see that rare seat with extra legroom and maybe, just maybe, are comped an adult drink. This even goes for those with lower status on airlines. Give them a pleasant enough experience and maybe a free bag if they've got a credit card, and the ability to reserve a seat and voila, you've got a content traveler in 2020. Give then a 110 outlet at their seats and you've got a very content traveler. Give the higher status (but not necessary big bucks) traveler a reasonable shot at a cushier seat (and a perhaps less reasonable shot at a mimosa before takeoff) along with kale, polenta, and clementines galore, and you've got a satisfied repeat and likely loyal customer.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Any chance this ends with AA buying AS in a few years?
That gets into whether the DOJ would allow one of the big three to merge with a competitor who is big enough to provide actual competition. I would hope not, but the DOJ is rather different than it was a few years ago.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
I have little interest in flying AA given its current quality, so it will be a matter of seeing what sort of OW member redemptions are available (including what happens to existing AS partners) and whether Mileage Plan takes a hit before I'm ready to cheer this move.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic
Originally Posted by ashill
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QF & AF/KLM are now ff partners
QF doesn’t share a hub (or two, depending on how you count LAX for both DL and AS) with an AF/KLM joint business partner.
When I was looking for EU QF awards yesterday was offered some on AF/KLM via Asia. SIN was common
Some people of FT are far too focused on North America. It is all the (one) world, not just north America
Hubs (spokes & hub) are mainly a USA thing. Less prevalent in other parts of the world. Just home/major airports. Point to point flying is common

on topic

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 13, 2020 at 2:33 pm
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Simply because American is not going to give away all the revenue it earns with AAdvantage by allowing AS to be its FF bank. If it is going to be way better for those currently using AAdvantage to bank all their miles will Alaska, then AA would take a huge financial hit. AS doesn't have to necessarily go to a revenue based system as they can accomplish that with reduced earning and using $ amount minimums to enable Mileage Plan member to gain OW status. AA is one of the founding members of OW and will call the shots. AA is not doing this for AS's benefit, they are doing it for their own. AS may have some side benefits like gaining access to a wider domestic audience and adding feed to a handful of international flights but to think AA is going to allow AS to keep their FF program as it is seems very unlikely.
Each airline can control how many miles/points you earn on partner flights---I see no difference with someone flying AA crediting miles to AS. AS could easily keep their current redemption levels for AS FF members flying on AS flights award miles flown on American based on fare class or other factor. You will always get the most benefit flying the airline that your FF status is based on. I would assume this would carry on with the best chance of upgrades happening when you fly the airline of your FF program.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Historically, my household has wound up with piles of BA and AA miles. It's the eternal paradox that BA miles were best used on AA and vice versa. Anyway, I'd been checking AS for a mileage redemption to AMS in July for a while. It's been awful--EI or FI for extreme miles to sit up front. As expected.

Today, business class showed up on BA that exactly paralleled the AASaver redemptions--with good routings and connection times, not the slop or *** mixed cabins*** we often see. Offerings that weren't there on Tuesday. Yes, there's the high BA co-pays, but we paid those on AS to BA redemptions before AA got involved anyway.

I guess that's one positive out of this. waiting to see what's next though.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by A318neo
The backstory will probably never be told or won't be clear for a few years. Who started the divorce and who started the make up?
Gary Leff (View From The Wing) spoke directly with AA on this subject, I found the post interesting and also brings a little more clarity to what is really a move out of left field:

https://viewfromthewing.com/alaska-i...ce-in-october/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.