Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
From the Alaska website:

Select oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members get lounge access

Emerald and Sapphire members earned through Alaska or American Airlines are eligible for complimentary lounge access when they travel on an itinerary to Mexico City, Central America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia or Australia.
So feasibly I could travel SEA-LAX-SJO and while on the stopover at LAX I could go to the Qantas First Lounge in TBIT? Not super convenient terminal-wise, but willing to make the (post-security) trek.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
So feasibly I could travel SEA-LAX-SJO and while on the stopover at LAX I could go to the Qantas First Lounge in TBIT? Not super convenient terminal-wise, but willing to make the (post-security) trek.
Yes.
mpeterson78 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:03 pm

Would I have access to JFK BA First if only flying domestically? Or do all international carrier lounges require an international itinerary?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Would I have access to JFK BA First if only flying domestically? Or do all international carrier lounges require an international itinerary?
nope. You would need a non-AA or non-AS OWE card to enter, or an int’l ticket.
mpeterson78 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:20 am

Help me find some ways to actually enjoy Oneworld Emerald status this year! Appreciated!
Ah, off the top of my head, on international destinations where you're planning to visit, try to plan for stopovers in LAX, JFK, DFW, MIA, HKG (yeah, one can hope) or NRT/HND. Assuming that you'll be traveling when we've returned to some semblance of normalcy, you can enjoy the QF F dining, JFK/DFW/MIA FLs, HKG Wing & Pier F lounges and the JL F lounges (can't recall if like BA's Concorde lounge & AA FD where entry is for F pax only.

I'm sure there's more but those are the ones I'm most familiar with.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Realizing How Positive AS Participation in Oneworld Is!

I have always been a fan of the partnership with AA and when AS/AA went through their divorce it was painful for US travel. Now that we are back together and with full Oneworld inclusion I am realizing just how positive this is for AS elites as I am sitting in the BA First lounge at LHR.

As a 100k / Emerald I was able to use the BA First boarding lounge (like AA Flagship first) and then utilize a separate private security gate which feeds right into the BA First lounge. Seamless.

On this same trip in Munich I was able to use the Airport World Lounge which was a very nice lounge for Emerald/Sapphire. All in all the inclusion in Oneworld has been quite positive in my experience. Very clear benefits on partner airlines vs. the past when you had to explain your AS elite benefits to BA and other airline agents.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I actually had a very positive experience with an AA agent yesterday to get a flight change done. It took 90 minutes to execute, due to a ticketing issue, but they were very patient and knew who to go to. They offered alternative routing and everything. I was actually shocked at the level of service, but quite pleased to find this to be the case. Not sure if this was due to my status, but appreciated nonetheless.

Maybe this should become the OW positive experiences thread. They happen. Not sure if there's another dedicated thread for such a thing.
DuckFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Just flew LIR-LAX-SEA today 3/29… I was allowed access to the OneWorld Lounge in TBIT as a Sapphire! The lounge attendants were confused and didn’t know where LIR is, but they called Alaska and they gave the ok. It was an easy 15-20 minute walk from the lounge to T6 with good signage the whole way. I’m not a frequent Central America flyer but this is a nice OW perk when flying in coach!
mpeterson78 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:55 am

Has anyone heard anything about the promised AA Systemwide upgrade 75K and 100K's were supposed to receive this year?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone heard anything about the promised AA Systemwide upgrade 75K and 100K's were supposed to receive this year?
Promised where? This is the AS-OW thread. Not the AS-AA thread (which exists)
OW does not have a cross airline upgrade scheme. But that may come, but expect will have onerous t&c's. Like on the out of alliance AA-BA-IB upgrade scheme.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Maybe check the thread that’s taking about it?

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes
Mwenenzi and mpeterson78 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:47 pm

Just wanted to add another positive experience since AS has joined OW. A few days earlier flew AY between HEL and SIN, was treated to a surprise upgrade to the new PEY seats on account of the OW status from AS. Granted it was not the full PEY experience (as AY is rolling them out May 11th 2022), but nevertheless thankful for a nice seat upgrade on a long flight (now 12hrs).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.